1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G1. Any tips to set it up?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by gdourado, Jul 10, 2012.

1. gdourado

gdourado Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2012
    Lisbon - Portugal
    Hi.

How are you?
    Recently got hold of a G1. I was thinking about buying a vf-2 for my e-pl2, but got the G1 instead.
    So, since I am used to the olympus, are there any settings or tips that can help to improve the G1 output?

Thanks.
    Cheers!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

2. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    YMMV, but my basic settings include:

- displaying the grid lines
    - limiting the auto ISO to 800
    - center-weighted metering
    - center weighted autofocus
    - digital zoom/off
    - highest quality, largest images
    - both jpg and RAW images

I use P mode for snapshots, but otherwise most commonly A and M. My photography is mostly tourist-type stuff so I have less need for S mode.

I don't think any of this is specific to the G1, though. I'd do basically the same with any camera. I would not own a camera that would not give me the grid lines.

3. gdourado

gdourado Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2012
    Lisbon - Portugal
    Hello.

Thank you for the reply.
    I am really liking the camera thus far.
    What I meant about setting it up is the film modes and image parameters to improve the output in both jpeg and raw.
    Any more tips?

Cheers

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I am the wrong guy for that. I believe in making minimal in-camera alterations to the image since many are irreversible, especially in the JPG. I think post-processing is the place to mess around, either on the RAW image or on a copy of the JPG. To me, most of the goofy settings available in the camera are just marketing gimmicks.

YMMV of course.

5. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    There are several threads on the forum that may help you. Check these out...

Advice on JPG Settings

The Myth of Panasonic not Having Nice OOC JPGs

Panasonic Color

Those ought to get you started. I think there may be a few more, but can't seem to find my bookmarks for them now (or perhaps I mis-remember?).

Best thing to do is use these as a starting point then experiment with your own modifications. Have fun. And of course, show us some results!

:biggrin: