G1 and the street

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Help me with my Pen addiction. Are you using the G1 for street/candid?
If so, how....and why.
Share your deepest darkest secrets here...we are all interested.
shooter

rst

Mu-43 Regular
Seriously - I have a bit of a problem with the question. I mean ... I wonder, why should I not?

Cheers
rst

Brian Mosley

Administrator Emeritus
Well, we have to start somewhere... this forum needs more Panasonic help :wink:

Seriously, can anyone share their normal approach to shooting with the G1? We have a lot of new users who could use some help.

Cheers

Brian

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
Seriously - I have a bit of a problem with the question. I mean ... I wonder, why should I not?

Go easy on him, I was asking for help in balancing the Quick Start forum with more Panasonic material and Don was trying to get it going. He can't help it if he loves his Pen more :smile:.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus

Cheers
rst

The idea comes from my love of the Pen.
So many years ago I used a Nikon F..then the F2 and F3. The FORM of the SLR never loved me. I was always more in sync with my Leica M's.
The reason I ask this question is because many shooters, I think like you, are comfortable with the form of then camera.

I have a G1, it's ok. I use it for work stuff. I sold my Canon's and now use the G1 for that type of thing.
I am starting to use the adapted glass with this m/43 cameras.
Truthfully, don't banish me, the Pen leaves something to be desired with the adapted glass.
The G1 is great with the EVF thing.

So, beings the street shooter that I am, I was just wondering how shooters deal with the form of the camera.

rst

Mu-43 Regular
... So, beings the street shooter that I am, I was just wondering how shooters deal with the form of the camera.
Well compared to the EP-1 and the GF-1 the G1 is not as pocketable. But when I am out in the street, the camera is in my hand and not in my pocket, so for me the form has its advantages because of the grip. And that EVF comes in handy too. And in addition to that I can use it as I would use a GF-1 by using the display. So I think the G1 is a very good street option.

Cheers
rst

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Yessir, I do know you are right. You hit all the right issues.
I've never liked the form but I am committing 30 days to just using it and not the Pen.
In fact Friday I have a Police Officer's Funeral and that will be the main camera.

You know what they say about teachin' an olde dog new tricks....
well, I'm an olde dog....just ask my wife...
thanks for posting.....
Don

rst

Mu-43 Regular
Go easy on him, I was asking for help in balancing the Quick Start forum with more Panasonic material and Don was trying to get it going. He can't help it if he loves his Pen more :smile:.
Yes, there are hundreds of reasons to like a Pen more than a Panasonic. Some come from more esoteric reasons like it looks nicer or it feels better. Very important reasons in my opinion because the better it feels, the more fun it is using it. The more fun it is using it, the easier it is to get good results. The easier it is to get good results, the more fun it is ...

And some reasons are simply facts based like the Pen has IBIS which I think is a real advantage when adapting lenses.

For me it was the decision EVF or IBIS. I went the EVF route because I am used to work with a viewfinder. And I never had stabilisation before so I knew I won't miss it when using my OLD Nikon glass on the G1 :smile:

Cheers
rst

silverbullet

Mu-43 Veteran
For around 1 week I had a G1. Coming from a D300 with very good handling and balancing in my right hand, the smaller grip of the G1 I could not become familiar with.
In my opinion it's too small to get a comfortable grip for hours, it's to big in terms of hiding the camera into a coats pocket.
As a mail order item I was able to return, even it was cheaper.....

So the next round was the E-P1 with optical viewfinder. Very good (for me) but not perfect. Than the E-P2 with the high res. EV. Just perfect. From technical datas the GF1 might be better, but like a guitar:rolleyes: when the stomach (or belly?) says it's ok, the brain should stop thinking....:wink:

rst

Mu-43 Regular
... Than the E-P2 with the high res. EV. Just perfect. From technical datas the GF1 might be better, but like a guitar:rolleyes: when the stomach (or belly?) says it's ok, the brain should stop thinking....:wink:
Yes, an EP-2 with its high resolution viewfinder is a really good option. Although scatterbrained as I am :redface:, I'm pretty sure that I would loose the viewfinder or at least have to seek in all my pockets to find it again because EP-2 with the viewfinder attached would also not fit nicely into my coat pockets.

Well and the EP-2 would also not match with my wallet :frown:

Cheers
rst

Latest threads

Top Bottom