1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G1 & 20mm pancake doing nightsky

Discussion in 'Nature' started by F1L1P, Aug 21, 2012.

1. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    Turns out even oldest m43 body can produce quite good low light shots:

c1bb86d9a8fd1ef30dc50d4d720f844d-d5by5x3.

Wish I had wider, fast lens, say Oly 12mm f2 :biggrin:
    (more pics to come)

• Like Like x 8
  2. jair

jair Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2012
    Recently I tried to shoot the meteor shower with my GF2, results were average at best. Not to mention a very bright spot right in the middle of the picture. Only reason I could think of was light pollution, but this can't explain why the bright spot was right in the middle.

Can you please share what kind of settings and post processing you used? Great pic.

3. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    Can you post some pics of it?

ISO 1600, 20 seconds exposure, pancake at widest - 1.7.
    However I did stack several images to decrease noise and reduced hot pixels on PC rather than in camera.

4. jair

jair Mu-43 Regular

Feb 14, 2012
    mshower.

This is ISO 800, 30 sec exposure, hot pixels reduced in camera. You can spot one meteor streak in the upper right corner if you look carefully :) In terms of PP i only killed the blacks all the way down to 0, otherwise the unprocessed image is very bright.

Now thinking about it, it is probably vignetting and I should just blame the always bright dutch sky :) Sorry for hijacking the thread.

5. MackThePen

MackThePen Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 8, 2011
    SW Scotland
    This is my rather feeble attempt from last week (GF1 & 20mm Panasonic - f1.7, 60secs exposure, ISO 200)

Grabbed rather quickly to include the satellite that's tracking across the bottom right corner, although I now also discern a very feint satellite track from top to bottom too.

Andrew

7830926694_1c5270a173_c.

6. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    F1L1P that is an excellent shot. Great positioning of the Milky Way behind that building. That is the kind of look that I'm striving for myself and it's quite impressive considering it's a first generation body. :thumbup:

Jair, Light pollution is very easy to see if you are within miles of anything. Most of my attempts have shown it also. I'm heading out to the east part of my state this weekend to try and get some starscapes, very little light sources to contend with out there.

One thing to remember is that if you don't want to see star trails, is to use the rule of 600. This states that 600/Focal Length in 35mm. So with a Panasonic 20mm were talking a 15 second exposure before we start to see that effect. I'll be trying out the 7-14 for this purpose, to give me a little more flexibility over exposure time without getting the blur from the stars. The PL25 hasn't accomplished what I wanted so far and I think it's partially because of the focal length.

• Like Like x 2
  7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Generally speaking no lens has even transmission across the aperture so there will always be gradual darkening as one moves away from the center. The lower the F number the more drastic this will be.

Easy to see by setting focus to infinity and putting a piece of paper over the lens and taking a shot. Use the images to 'correct' this type of shading (could think of it as the opposite of adding vignetting) - usually called flat field correction or shading correction.

Your assessment is correct. It will be more pronounced with higher levels of light pollution but still present in even the darkest of skies. Not so much a brightening in the center as a darkening around the edges.

Even with low or no light pollution with enough moisture or dust in the air to scatter light this type of 'glow' can still manifest. High thin clouds not particularly visible at night will also mimic light pollution.

• Like Like x 2
  8. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    It's vignetting, yes. You can correct it in post-processing.

This map right here shows the light pollution levels.

Also, it's fun to see how "detailed" the shot is by comparing result from camera with some planetarium/nightsky software such as google earth or Stellarium (which I used) - It's freeware - A realistic, real-time 3D simulation of the night sky.

[​IMG]
    Red triangle is the Lagoon nebula.
    Yellow triangle is the Omega nebula.
    Green triangle is the Eagle nebula.

Some of the nebulas can't even by seen without zooming in. Such example is "Messier 23 (also known as NGC 6494) is an open cluster in the constellation Sagittarius" located on my shot just above purple rectangle. It's so faint that Stellarium does not show it at this zoom level.

• Like Like x 5
  9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    A very beautiful shot - amazing!

• Like Like x 1