1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

G Series Camera Body Choice

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Biro, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Okay, guys, here's a question that I usually help others answer but rarely ask myself because I'm generally pretty clear about what I want and need. But I would appreciate having some other minds check in on this.

I gave my G1 to my niece over the July 4th holiday weekend because she loved the camera and has an strong interest in entering photography as a hobby. I, of course, was happy to facilitate that and have no regrets. I had a G3 on order at the time but I subsequently cancelled that order out of frustration with Panasonic Direct.

My goal is to eventually have a G-class camera again plus whatever Panasonic introduces to truly replace the GF1 (two camera bodies for my MFT kit - which is what I had before). As most of us have heard, rumors are there will be a "Pro" rangefinder-styled camera with a built-in EVF sometime this year. This rumor helped inform my decision to cancel the G3 order.

Now, as I said, I still want a G-class camera because I have lenses like the 100-300 (and may even opt for the 14-140) and the larger body, at least for me, is a better combination with those. Did I mention I plan to step up nature photography?

So... my question: Do I pick up a GH2 now... do nothing and just wait for the GH3 (End of year? Next year?)... or maybe pick up a G2 body for $299 to tide me over until the GH3 arrives?

I'm not going wring my hands and waste a whole lot of time on this decision. If I'm going to buy a camera body now, I will do so within a week. But I'd love to hear what you would do - and why. Thanks so much.

2. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    I just sprang for the G2 at the $299 price (as an upgrade from a G10), and it was an easy decision in my case. Right now the GH2 costs 3x as much as a G2. It's a better camera, but not 3x better, at least for my purposes.

3. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I just also bought a G2 and very happy with it. I also posted some images shot on the spot with factory settings.

So I think grab the G2 a for $299 and your waiting will be happier.:biggrin:

4. The GH1s were recently $300 as part of some kind of Panasonic facebooky thingy, which probably made them an even better buy than the G2 for the same price, although that may be finished now.

5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I also got a G2 (new) for around $300. I love it. The ergonomics and handling are terrific and the IQ is on a par with my Olympus bodies.

6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Yes, that's true and it does look like they're all gone - at least at that price. To make matters worse, while I had the G3 on order, fellow forum member John M. Flores actually ordered two GH1s at that price (he mentioned it on this site) and would have let me have the second at the same cost. But I backed off because I decided to go for the G3 at the time. So John refused delivery of the second camera and back to Panasonic it went. That's my fault. Too bad. Oh well. Live and learn.

7. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    Another vote for the G2. It is compatible with a wide range of m4/3 and 4/3 lenses, and the ergonomics of it are better than any other m4/3 body I've used. I would only recommend the GH2 or GH1 if video is your primary concern.

8. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    The GH2 has a far better sensor, which virtually removes the highlight clip problem on high contrast or high dynamic range attempts the others sensors are forced to make as part of the daily routine of making normal pictures in a variety of conditions.

I sold my G2's for the GH2.

fringe

9. I bought my GH1 based on the principle of right place/right time/right price (and right lens). Haven't taken a video with it yet. Bummed that the big red video button can't be assigned to something else. For stills I do quite like the multi-aspect sensor and as far as I can tell there's nothing much wrong with IQ.

10. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Here's my thinking: If I go for the GH2, it would be my G- series body for the next few years. There's just too much money involved. If I go for the G2, it would hold me over until the GH3 came out and make purchase of a pro replacement for the GF1 sometime this year that much easier while allowing me to use my MFT lenses in the meantime. I'm open to either possibility.

11. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    For the money you can't beat the G2. It'll hold you over until the GF Pro or what-have-you and you may like those of us that have them grow quite fond of it.

12. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Well, I just pulled the trigger on a G2 body for $299. It should arrive Saturday. The GH2 is great and better in many ways. But the G2 makes the most sense for me in terms of price, availability and function at this exact moment. Plus it leaves me with a good deal of flexibility in terms of future products. Thanks everyone for their input.

13. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Ah! Biro........you have answered your own question. :smile:

The G2 is the best model for the money you want to spend....right now.

G2 is a great camera at a very good price, at $299 it's a steal.

Buy, enjoy, shoot. :smile:

14. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    That's the same reason I bought a G2. For now it's the best value for money and you can shoot, waiting for the next generation of Pannys. Buying a GH2 now is making an investment for many years I think.

So you made the best decision.

15. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    BTW where do you buy it at $299? Can you post me the link and tell if they sell overseas?

Thanks.

16. totochan24

totochan24 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011

B&H has it for $300 : Lumix_DMC_G2_Digital_Camera. I believe the do ship overseas. I also seriously considering to buy G2, the price is so good.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Also, Amazon U.S. has it for $300 (body-only of course). Amazon U.K. has the G2 body-only for £378. You can access both websites though the Affiliate Partners page of this site and if you put the item in your cart and actually order it during the same session, mu43.com gets a small cut of the profit with no extra cost to you. That's what I did. It works the same way with B&H. But make sure you go to the Affiliate Partners page (the tab at the upper right of this page) first. It won't work unless you do it that way.

• Like Like x 1