G.A.S (Gear Avoidance Syndrome)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by aaronlongphoto, Mar 26, 2015.

1. aaronlongphoto

aaronlongphoto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2013
    Louisville KY
    Aaron Long
    One of the most recent post on www.thephoblographer.com they were talking about GAS, and not the GAS we are use to talking about. This time it was referred to as "Gear Avoidance Syndrome". Instead of worrying about filling the need to get the latest and greatest, or stockpiling every kind of lens for every situation possible, focus on scaling back to improve your photography.

This is something that stands out to me alot because I am constantly thinking about what I could get next and how its going to make my photography better. For months now I go out and shoot and come back with shots I am not happy with. I keep using the excuse "I just need better gear". I have good gear for what fits my style of shooting but because of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) I don't keep things around long enough to get to know them and pull out their full potential.

This article was a real eye opener for me and I highly recommend everyone reading this post to give it a read. I know there is more people on here then me that will find this article helpful with their shooting.

Here is the link to the article: http://www.thephoblographer.com/201...be-healthy-for-your-photography/#.VRQgeY6s-hY

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I, too, felt this article was well done. If anyone is interested in further reading on the topic, I just posted a list on another thread here.

At times I'm resigned to the thought that GAS is just a natural phase that one goes through as one gets into a new hobby, but I feel like I've spent too much time (and money:rolleyes:) in this "phase" and feel I may need help.

• Like Like x 1