1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G-5

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by photoheron, Jun 30, 2013.

1. photoheron

photoheron Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Fort Smith Arkansas
    Brad
    I have spent the last couple weeks researching 4/3 cameras to learn about them.
    I have noticed that currently there huge savings on the G-5. Would this be a choice to start off in the world micro 4/3 world ?

2. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I currently own and use one and love it. I can't tell you what's best for you though.

Did you read my G5 review on my blog? I wish I'd had it rather than the GX1 when I shot this balloon festival but I'd loaned it to a friend.

The G5 is nearly an E-M5 as far as performance. Nearly, lol. But it's still very good and I gave up my E-M5 because I like the handling of the G5 much better.

My review of it is here: BLOG.ENTROPICREMNANTS.COM: Diversity's Real Value: A Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Camera Review

I'm a fan but that doesn't mean it's best for you -- still, you can do worse and at the price point it's almost unbeatable.

3. MingTyhMaa

MingTyhMaa Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Lafayette, CA
    Ming-Tyh Maa
    It's hard to go wrong with the G5 given the current price, assuming we're shopping at the same place, i.e. $350 used with the kit lens on Amazon.
    That's what I'm recommending to my friends looking for a micro 4/3 camera today.
    Make sure you get a second battery.

4. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    I have a Olympus OMD (EM5) and children with Olympus EPL-3's but would still recommend the G5 (looks like a DSLR with built in flash) or GX1 (rangefinder style with hotshoe) as good starters into the micro 4/3 world at the current prices - unless you have (like my family) very small hands.

However did pick up a new EPL3 two lens kit for £308 (~€360) for a friends daughter who thought the Panasonic's G were a bit big as this is her first non point n shoot camera. This is a really cheap way of getting focal lengths from 14-150mm.

5. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Yeah, it's a great camera to start with unless you really hate the way it looks. :)

I started with a GF3, and quickly sold it and bought a G5. The ergonomics are great, the built in flash is good, the flip out screen comes in handy.

6. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    I'm going to disagree and say the G5 is too small for my hands. I will admit that with heavy lenses it balances better and therefore isn't as hard to hold. My wife seems to like it, though!

7. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    That's a pretty common complaint from folks with large hands. Mine are average though so I don't suffer.

It's probably the "biggest" problem with miniaturization.

8. BAXTING

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Bradley
    I started out going through all of the smaller bodies and as my fondness of photography grew so did my desire to take photographs. Although "dslr" styled, this camera is actually pretty small comparitively and IME it is extremely ergonomically friendly for anyone suffering from average size hands syndrome such as myself. :biggrin: It just fits my liking and the Panasonic menus make sense to me more than Oly's. I now have two G5s because I enjoy them so much.

I can also honestly say that I would not like the G5 as much had I not had several Oly/Panny bodies that
    I had tried to use beforehand. Each one of them delivering fantastic photographs, I'm just a tad bit more excited to take my G5 out because it makes more sense to me. I enjoy the EVF which most others are missing and it is effortless to carry in one hand ready to shoot without fear of slipping or dropping although I almost always use my wrist strap.

I dont know if you will like it, but its definitely worth finding out. :thumbup:

9. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    I ended up buying a G5 because it was a great deal.
    I ended up selling my Canon 5d as a result!
    Nuff said.
    Bottom line...the camera doesn't matter as much as the glass you put on it. Cameras will change so often you can't keep track. A good deal is a great jumping off point.

10. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    It's so hard to predict how others will feel about hardware, but I think the G5 (1) is a huge value right now, (2) offers great IQ, (3) offers a lot of flexibility and advanced features if you want to use them. I have pretty large hands (usually XL gloves) and find both the OM-D and the G5 pretty easy to use and very easy to carry. If I want big, I have DSLRs...

11. MingTyhMaa

MingTyhMaa Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2012
    Lafayette, CA
    Ming-Tyh Maa
    With these great prices on the G5, its very easy to end up shooting with 2 bodies.
    Btw, I cant remember exactly but with these cameras, there are 2 instruction manuals, a basic and an advanced manual. I can't remember if they both come in the box but if yours doesnt come with an advanced manual you can download it.

12. pixmate70

pixmate70 New to Mu-43

May 22, 2013
    NW UK
    John
    I bought the GF5 a month or so ago and found it took great pictures but I had a job viewing the screen in bright sunshine. As the G5 has a EVF I decided to try it and naturally that solved the problem. So now I have both cameras plus a 45-150mm H-FS45150E-K lens and my Canon DSLR hasn't been touched since.

13. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Has it focus peaking or only the G6?

14. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Only the G6 has that. The image quality on the G5 and the G6 is pretty much identical -- they use the same senor, taken from the GH2. Apart from the GH3 this is the best sensor in Panasonic cameras, the one in the GF6 and GX1 is not quite as good.

What the G6 offers over the G5 besides focus peaking is slightly higher resolution screen, OLED EVF, WiFi, NFC, 24p video option, faster burst shooting, and a light metering system with more zones.

Unless you really want the focus peaking, wireless features, or are a video shooter, the G5 is the better deal right now.

15. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy

Thanks. I'm not a video shooter and only on occasion I shoot videos, so almost any recent video feature is ok for me. What could be important is focus peaking because my eyes are getting older and older.