1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

G-5 incredible price

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by photoheron, Jul 12, 2013.

1. photoheron

photoheron Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Fort Smith Arkansas
    Brad
    The past month I have been gathering gathering and researching the 4/3 system.
    Looking at both Panasonic & Olympus. Choosing a camera system has been challenging. The bargain price of the G5 is is making it easier.
    At the price I've seen I could add another lens. What telephoto lens would be recommended?
    For those that are using the G-5 do you shot in jpeg or raw? Do you find. there is enough creativity to grow into?

2. BigOwl

BigOwl Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    Al
    I have been very happy with the Panasonic 45-200. I realize there are newer telephotos available, but I have not been motivated to change. Hopefully, someone will respond who has compared them.

3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    IMHO, the 45-150 Panasonic zoom is the best value, and it's tiny.

Optically, the 45-150, 45-175, and 45-200 are all about equal. The 45-200 has the most reach, but is noticeably bigger and heavier than the other two, plus it is reputed to be soft at the 175-200 lengths, thus minimizing any advantage it has over the other two.

There was recently a deal at Amazon where the 45-175 was being sold for $210, and at that price, it was as good a deal, if not better, than the 45-150, but normally, that lens would cost at least $300, whereas the 45-150 can be gotten for well under $200. Of course, it has silent power zoom which makes it a big plus for video shooters. I currently own both of these (because I jumped at that Amazon deal), and I'm kind of torn which one to unload. My sense is that - at least for still photographers, if the cost differential between the 45-150 and the 45-175 is more than about $75, then the 45-150 is the better value of the two, as I can't tell the difference between them in optical quality or build quality. The added reach and the power zoom are worth something, and supposedly the OIS is better in the 45-175, but I haven't seen that.

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, I don't have a Pany u43 camera, but I've had a 45-200 on my OMD and personally, I think it's the worst lens I've ever had - so far as IQ was concerned; even worse than the Sigma 75-300 I had years ago on my Canon 50e (35mm film) - and that's saying something! Soft and lacking contrast, esp in the 150mm to 200mm range. Maybe I had a bad copy, but I don't think so - I've seen similar results and complaints from other users.

From what I've read, the newer 45-175 is much better.

Just my 2c!

5. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I have the 45-200. Its big and quite heavy for a m43 lens. It is OK at shorter focal lengths, but becomes soft past 150. I bought it on sale for $99, but unless you find a deal like that I would choose a different lens.

6. AndrewS

AndrewS Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    The Lumix 45-150 is good

The Lumix 45-200 is one of the original M43 lenses. It is (compared to the new ones) large, heavy and soft with low contrast at the long end. Not recommended (by me anyway) at any price.
    The Lumix 45-175 is a power zoom lens and may be best for video. My own experience and many reports on the dpreview M43 forum indicate this lens is prone to blur due to shutter shock. This can be eliminated by using the E-Shutter on the G5/6/GH3 but there are limitations on shutter speed, ISO etc.
    The Lumix 45-150 is light, small, inexpensive and gives really good results. Recommended.

7. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I've had it for a while now and think it is a very versatile camera. Light weight, ergonomic, high quality images. I shoot mainly in Raw + Jpeg. It has a lot of artistic filters that you can apply when shooting jpegs (if you shoot both the jpeg has the filter and the raw doesn't), but I don't use them much.

For telephoto, I use the 45-150. I think it is a great quality lens, small and light for a telephoto, and with a useful range. I had the 45-200, and the image quality just wasn't the same at the long end - plus it s a lot bigger and heavier.

I haven't used the 45-175, but I've heard good things about it. If you can get it at the same price as the 45-150 go for it. Otherwise I'd say get the 45-150 to complement your kit lens, and save your money for the next lens.

8. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Ive had all three at carious times
    I would personally rule out the 45 - 200 due to its (comparable) bulk and poorer results
    The 45 - 175mm PZ lens is by far my favourite of the three
    It has the PZ facility which means you can zoom from the toggle switch on the G5 which is a real bonus for video AND stills.
    It is also internal zooming so the lens does not expand when you zoom to longer focal lengths and it remains supremely compact at all times
    I always got very sharp and very vibrant photos with mine
    I did not get any shutter shock issues with mine (which I have since sold) and it remains as one of my all time favourite M43 lenses. It is to be noted though that some do report shutter shock (blur)
    The 45 - 150 is also very good but just doesnt (for me) have quite the same great overall feeling when used on a G5 but is devoid of shutter shock reports
    I would certainly buy another 45 - 175
    Regards
    Rob

9. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Despite its weight, I like my japan made 14-140 about the most of all my non prime lenses, its superbly built, the zoom difference between it and the 45-200 at full extension is not much, but it takes very good shots at 140mm. It is expensive though, they had a special on them last year but its back up in price again and still commands $$$ second hand.

10. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Buy the G5, it's a great camera. Why a telephoto? I usually recommend a fast prime lens as an upgrade lens to show off the camera's capabilities.

11. photoheron

photoheron Mu-43 Regular

Jun 22, 2013
    Fort Smith Arkansas
    Brad
    In regards to a telephoto I enjoy nature photography especially birds.

12. arbutusq

arbutusq Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    I have had two copies of the 45-200, (one got lost on a mount Baker Glacier) and both were pretty good. Both my copies preformed better than the sigma, tamron, pentax and nikon 70-300 lenses I have used in the past.

It is not the best but for the price performs quite well. Having said that I got the 45-150 for $45 when I got my G5 and it is a good lens as well, so if you get a good deal on it that would be my choice.

13. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I shoot with a G5 and I'm happy with the IQ and most of the camera features.
    With a good lens attached, specially a prime lens, the G5 will shine.

14. Desert_B

Desert_B Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Minnesota, U.S.A.
    Great discussion. Thank you! Looking at a telephoto zoom for my G5 so I can get shots of kids' activities. It's great to hear first-hand experiences.

15. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Yeah, I got my 45-150 as part of a deal with the G5 kit for $500 total. Once I compared it to the 45-200 I decided to sell the 45-200 -- used they were going for the same price at the time.

I'm really happy with it, especially since if you deduct the value of the lenses I got the body for $200. A nice compliment to my $100 GX1 and free GF3. :)

16. arbutusq

arbutusq Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2011
    I decided to keep them both as I do like the extra reach of the 45-200, but sometimes the portability of the 45-150 is nice too(and was basically free)...and my wife and I don't have to fight over who gets to use the telephoto to take pics of the kids....

17. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    Have had a chance to play around with the G5 and comparing it directly to the G2 it does feel plasticky, sure the front panel being alloy is nice, but the rest of the body doesnt have the same solidity feel that the G2 has. The rotary dial is not as smooth or positive, and they have even managed to short change the battery lid with a flimsy clipped in metal panel, the G2 has a more solid screw in panel.

Dont get me wrong I like the LCD its great, EVF is same, grip feels nice, body is not as stiff though in its construction. Would have been nice to see them keep the width same and leave the metering/focusing dials on the LHS of the case. Even the shutter button seems a little cheap compared to the nicely metal encased one on the G2.

I think the shiny plastic is a step back, harder to pull open the lcd on the G5 if you have dry fingers, G2 with the rubbery coating is a nicer feel.

I certainly wouldnt want to drop either onto a hard surface, but would want to drop the G5 less :wink:

18. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    I like the quality and features of the G5, but I agree with you in all of these points.

19. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    More time with the G5 and its feeling good in the hands, not that hard to move from the G2 once you get into the swing of settings and personalise it. I think the G5 and GX1 will become my perfect M43 combo :smile:

20. scott

scott Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2010
    I have two (soon three) G5s, and I've been using a 100-300 pretty much since the day they came out. I'm very happy with both.