1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

FZ1000 vs 14-140 II

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by tkbslc, Dec 14, 2015.

1. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I've been seeing some good deals on Panasonic FZ1000 cams that put it almost into the same ballpark as a 14-140 II. It's got me thinking - wouldn't an FZ1000 be better than just adding a superzoom to my kit in most regards? It's got 4K, DFD, wider AND more reach than a 14-140. I guess the sensor is a little smaller, but the lens is a stop faster to make up for it. I'd need to upgrade my camera to a GX8 or G7 to get the DFD and 4k, too.

Any thoughts? I sold off my two zooms last summer and was thinking of adding a 14-140 this spring to replace them. Seeing the FZ1000 getting cheaper has my gear gears turning.

2. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I've considered it briefly at times, too...but then I look and see the size of the FZ1000. It's really a big piece of kit. And it's hard for me to specifically see the times I'd want it. If I'm going for an extended trip, even though I know I'm going to be using the 14-140 most of the time, there are other times when I will be using the 7.5mm FE or a fast prime for low light shooting. So then the FZ1000 would become a big, supplementary body, rather than just another lens in terms of packing. My 4/3 cameras and f1.7 lenses have to give it their all to cope with low light situations. A 1" sensor that runs out of steam at ISO 3200 and an f2.8 lens would be ugly. And obviously a huge package compared to the GX7 and a 20mm or 25mm.

Even compared to the GX7 with the old, cheap 14-140 that I have, the FZ1000 is bigger and weighs just as much.

Compact Camera Meter

Mostly though, it's the little things that the FZ1000 lacks that make me sad. It has DFD and 4K, but it lacks a touch-screen. I'm not sure how addicted you are to the one on the GX7, but I don't think I can live without one anymore on a digital camera. Or at least, I don't want to if I have any say in the matter.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I love the touch screen! That would bug me.

I do get that it is a little bigger, but it's also 12.5-200mm in m4/3 terms and the lens is f2.8 on the wide end. I think that would cover me for travel enough that I could leave the other gear back at the hotel for day trips.

I do wish it was a little more trim, though. It could be G7 sized and the lens is really not that big.