1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

FYSA GX8 & G7 Firmware updates

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Repp, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. blumoon722

blumoon722 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    John
    Thanks for the update on the update.
    I did it.

3. is1971de

is1971de Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 9, 2016
    London, UK
    Any idea what features were added?

4. blumoon722

blumoon722 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    John
    New functions are added in Fn button.
    The option "Wireless Setup(Flash)" has been added to [Setting in REC mod] on the [Fn Button Set] of [Custom] menu.
    The option "Wi-Fi" and "LVF/Monitor Switch" have been added to [Setting in PLAY mode] on the [Fn Button Set] of [Custom] menu.

5. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    That's it? I was hoping for the focus bracketing feature from the GX85

6. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    They did fix a focus issue (I had been noticing a focus problem for the last few months, but feels like it was fixed with this update), but no addition of focus bracketing... I didn't realize that was on the GX85 =[

7. lightning

lightning Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    Kerava, Finland
    Well i did have an issue with the af tracking. Whole camera did freeze after under 1 min of using it, so this i a welcome update.

Although i would not mind if they had add latest 4k features as well (live cropping etc). Hopefully they will in the NEAR future. Panasonic should see how Fuji handle these, they will add always latest features at for all the flagship cameras. GX8 is still flagship for Lumix (along with GH4), so Panasonic WAKE UP, NOW!

8. bahamot

bahamot Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2015
    Thanks, updated fine. Bugs fixed are always welcome.

9. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

For the most part, each new model they release seems to have a new Venus engine. It may very well be that the older (hardware) version can't adequately support the newest features.

10. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    Do mean focus stacking, because it already has focus bracketing with the post focus functionality?

• Like Like x 1
  11. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    the GX85 now has a focus Bracketing feature thats different from the Post Focus which it also has.

- Post Focus picks up to 49 focus points and focuses on all and generates a 4K movie file (30 8Mb jpegs) in the process.
    - Focus Bracketing Has you choose a start and end point and the number of pictures to take. The resulting files can be shot RAW.

The feature is described on Page 140 of the Advanced GX85 Manual

12. is1971de

is1971de Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 9, 2016
    London, UK
    I certainly hope that they will add the extra features of the GX85 to the GX8 soon as that is the top of the line GX model.

13. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    Ahh, ok.

I with they could take the technology of 'post focus' and morph it into in body focus stacking, that would be an amazing feature. Raw output at full resolution would be even better.

14. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    Maybe I wasn't clear but thats essentially what Focus Bracketing is, you can choose the number of pictures to take between the 2 focus points and they're full resolution shots in the format u specify (RAW or JPEG) as opposed to the 8Mb JPEGS you get from Post Focus.

15. DanS

DanS Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    I was referring to them being merged into one image in body. Unless I missed something only a few Olympus bodies do this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    Oh , yeah , focus stack it FOR us in camera. Yeah I'd LOVE that....

17. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    So, it appears the main changes in the firmware update were a bunch of brackets and acronyms??? ;)