1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

FYI - Pentax on Groupon

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by emirabal, Oct 5, 2012.

1. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

• Like Like x 1
  2. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 19, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Mike Barber

It's really too bad that Pentax decided to price the camera so high on initial release--it's so fun with manual lenses and the controls are really nice. IQ is surprisingly good too given that the sensor is microscopic. :p 

3. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Is it the same as the one selling for $380 on Amazon?

4. zapatista

Mar 19, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Mike Barber
    Yep.

5. Omega

Omega Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    I don't think the price is going to go any higher for what it is, really.

Once it goes down to $200, I'll pick one up.

6. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    In all honesty the Q's what made me abandon Pentax and move to µ43. I bought a K-x twin lens kit that I loved for image quality and feel, but I just lost faith with them actually releasing a workable small system.

7. zapatista

Mar 19, 2012
    Albuquerque, NM
    Mike Barber
    I have no experience with Pentax SLR's but I like the Q because it's unique for it's size. However, I'd be lying if my use is for anything more than fun....no "serious" shooting.

8. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Pentax Q + Flash = indoor fun
    • DOF at ƒ/1.9 is substantial
    • sync speeds are fast with native leaf shutter lenses (1/2000 for built-in, 1/250 for external)
    • base ISO provides good image quality (base ISO is more easily achieved at ƒ/1.9)
    • ƒ/1.9 is still ƒ/1.9, so flash power can be relatively low and recycle times are approximately nothing
    • ƒ/1.9 allows the built-in flash to operate effectively despite its small size

Pentax Q + long lens = really long lens
    • 5.5 x equivalency
    • takes the image from the central sweet spot of any lens
    • reasonable DOF even at wide open

This was shot at 135mm ƒ/2.8, providing an equivalent 750mm ƒ/2.8 with reasonable DOF at ISO 700-ish, 1/100 s., ƒ/2.8 (it was shot at a dark indoor pool without flash and I don't have a 750mm ƒ/2.8 lens to get an equivalent photo):

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Thanks Aegon, that's a very interesting set of points! It was the launch prices that frankly just annoyed me, but as the price comes down it does definitely get into the realms of fitting a useful niche.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.