FYI - Pentax on Groupon

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by emirabal, Oct 5, 2012.

1. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

• Like Like x 1
  2. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike

It's really too bad that Pentax decided to price the camera so high on initial release--it's so fun with manual lenses and the controls are really nice. IQ is surprisingly good too given that the sensor is microscopic. :p

3. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    Is it the same as the one selling for $380 on Amazon?

4. zapatista

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Yep.

5. Omega

Omega Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    I don't think the price is going to go any higher for what it is, really.

Once it goes down to $200, I'll pick one up.

6. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    In all honesty the Q's what made me abandon Pentax and move to µ43. I bought a K-x twin lens kit that I loved for image quality and feel, but I just lost faith with them actually releasing a workable small system.

7. zapatista

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    I have no experience with Pentax SLR's but I like the Q because it's unique for it's size. However, I'd be lying if my use is for anything more than fun....no "serious" shooting.

8. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Pentax Q + Flash = indoor fun
    • DOF at ƒ/1.9 is substantial
    • sync speeds are fast with native leaf shutter lenses (1/2000 for built-in, 1/250 for external)
    • base ISO provides good image quality (base ISO is more easily achieved at ƒ/1.9)
    • ƒ/1.9 is still ƒ/1.9, so flash power can be relatively low and recycle times are approximately nothing
    • ƒ/1.9 allows the built-in flash to operate effectively despite its small size

Pentax Q + long lens = really long lens
    • 5.5 x equivalency
    • takes the image from the central sweet spot of any lens
    • reasonable DOF even at wide open

This was shot at 135mm ƒ/2.8, providing an equivalent 750mm ƒ/2.8 with reasonable DOF at ISO 700-ish, 1/100 s., ƒ/2.8 (it was shot at a dark indoor pool without flash and I don't have a 750mm ƒ/2.8 lens to get an equivalent photo):

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Thanks Aegon, that's a very interesting set of points! It was the launch prices that frankly just annoyed me, but as the price comes down it does definitely get into the realms of fitting a useful niche.