1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

FYI: Full Moon PerigeeSupermoon this weekend!

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Crdome, May 1, 2012.

1. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Photo Op: The biggest full moon of 2012 called the ‘Supermoon’ or perigee full moon, will occur on Saturday, May 5, 2012, around 11:35 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) on the eastern coast of the United States and on Sunday, May 6, at 1:35 p.m. in Sydney in New South Wales, Australia.

Astronomers are estimating the supermoon will be around 14 percent brighter and 30 percent bigger than the average full moon. Full Moons from the way we see it, vary in size because of the oval orbit of the Moon. It is an ellipse with one side (perigee) about 50,000 km closer to Earth than the other (apogee).

Full Moon Perigee or Supermoon Will Occur Saturday, May 5, 2012 | Z6Mag

Enjoy.

• Like Like x 3
  2. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

What are the settings we should be at, i know im gonna try this again with my 200mm on my GF3, really mess around with the white balance.

3. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Unfortunately this year it's only out in the early hours of the morning in the UK. I don't think I fancy it this time.
    If you don't have Stellarium or the like - get it!

I found that with my 100-300, although reviews say 300 is soft and 250 or lower is best, for a very the very distant object the moon is, then 300 gave me the best result.

4. Justified_Sinner

Justified_Sinner Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Dauvit Alexander
    The moon appears at its biggest just as it comes over the horizon. You can find the times of Moonrise for where you are here:

Moonrise and Moonset Calculator