1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

FYI 20mm Lens + 46mm Bower Collapsing Hood doesn't work

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by stripedrex, Jan 8, 2013.

1. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    Just a heads up for anyone looking for a collapsing hood for their P20. The bower one does not work, the 20mm barrel when you turn off the camera retracts lower than the outside surface of the lens. The hood screwed in is wider than the barrel so it jammed when turned off! Luckily it didn't seem to break my autofocus motor. Just a heads up for anyone shopping around. Hopefully this saves others time / money.

On that note, anyone know of a working collapsing hood? I've seen images on other threads with it but what model works specifically?

• Like Like x 2
  2. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Here's a workaround in case you haven't thought of it: break the glass out of a cheap UV filter and use the ring in between the hood and the lens. Works great.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Van

Van Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2011
    Yup. This has been a known issue with the 20mm since it came out, but using a UV filter to push the hood away from the lens works great.

• Like Like x 1
  4. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    Thanks guys! Looked at some outdoor shots with this lens and other's comments and decided to go hoodless since flare doesn't seem to be an issue with this anyway. For protection for the glass I may do that filter trick you guys speak of. Much thanks!

5. larsjuhljensen

larsjuhljensen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2011
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    As far as I know this is a general issue with the Panasonic 20mm. You should also be careful with using step-up rings.

However, I have not found this to more than a very minor inconvenience in reality:
    • A major advantage of the lens is that it is a small pancake lens. Putting a hood on it largely negates that advantage.
    • The lens has high contrast and is not particularly prone to flare. In most situations a hood is thus not necessary.
    • A hood would main be necessary in very strong sunlight. But then I would almost always be shooting at small apertures, for which reason I would tend to use a zoom lens instead.
    • If I find myself in very strong sunlight and I want to use the 20mm to get shallow depth of field, I need to use an ND filter to keep the shutter speed above 1/4000 second. But then the filter works like a spacer, which eliminates the problem of mounting the hood.
    • Finally, if needed, I find it is much faster and just as efficient to use a hand to shield the lens from strong sunlight instead of using a hood.

So all in all, it is not really much of a problem :smile:

• Like Like x 1