Future OMD Firmware Features

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BrundleFly, Oct 22, 2015.

1. BrundleFly

BrundleFly Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2015
    Ontario
    Hey guys,

Very excited to see Olympus updating the EM5MKii and the EM1 with massive firmware updates in a few weeks.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how we as a user community could communicate what we collective would like to see in future firmware updates and what features others in the community were looking for.

I am still growing into the OMD EM5 MKii so my apologies if some of these are already possible but I would love to see the following;

- Ability to control exposure compensation in M mode when ISO is set to AUTO
    - Ability to set metering mode to a custom button on EM5 MKii and EM10 MKii
    - Ability to lock spot metering to focus point without needing to use lock exposure and then move the camera
    - Ability to link peaking to magnification mode when using an adapted lens
    - Split screen magnification mode such as the one available on the FUJI system
    - A more intuitive way to set up AUTO ISO parameters
    - Ability to completely disable expanded ISO ranges
    - Ability to limit high resolution mode to 4 shots in order to increase maximum shutter speed

Excited to hear other people's thoughts!

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, I'm not sure what you mean on this one... one can set the MAX auto ISO already; it won't go past that even if it's underexposed, at least in A,S,M modes.

Barry

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    I really want to be able to customise the SCP. I NEVER change half of what's on there and it could be so much better looking too. Not sure how they could still be happy with something so terrible as it is now. I know there's no hope for my E-M5 but maybe in the current models. There was something new about the scp in the tethering app (?) so maybe maybe...

Also would be nice with portrait shooting info in the evf a la Fuji. It's one of those "Doh, why didn't we think of this?" but for some reason no one else have picked it up :hmmm:

Ah, there are so many little things that bugs me with the interface but I don't hold my breath for things to change anytime soon. :flypig: Makes me want a Samsung :/
    On the other hand, I'm very happy to see the focus bracketing/stacking in the new fw. :bravo-009: I've tried a few manually but it's a bit of a pain.

4. BrundleFly

BrundleFly Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2015
    Ontario
    Hey guys thanks for the replies,

Hey Barry, in response to your question I would like the ability to disable higher ISO's (above 6400) that obviously push the sensor well beyond it's practical limits in most cases. Even though you can set the auto ISO limit, you can't do the same when setting the ISO manually. Really nit picky request but some users myself included have found ourselves accidentally raising the ISO far higher then we would like during quick operation.

Yah portrait orientation and customizable SCP would also make amazing additions!

The latest firmware update has given me new hope that Olympus might adopt a Fuji/Samsung approach to updating their products, but I hoping that we as a community can come together and give them bit of push :).

5. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Olympus have consistently proven that they are backward when it comes to the touch screen. So don't get too excited.

Regarding accidentally changing the ISO. Problems come when you have to click up or down through lots of steps. Like changing from ISO 200 to 6400. Slow and accident prone. Which is why I'd request touchscreen ISO changing along with the chance to store favourite ISOs.

6. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

They did add a double tap function for the SCP in a FW update (on the E-M1), so they're gradually moving ahead there. ;)

7. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Disable third stops for ISO and use full stops, it's only a few presses that way.

Only full stops actually exist in the hardware, third/half stops are just software pushing/pulling of the full stops.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  8. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    id like a lengthening of the focus-by-wire throw ratio so one can get more precise manual focus control

9. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    More sophisticated AF. That is mostly software. New HW may be required to AF like a 7d.2, but much is done in SW. At the moment we don't have any Ida what AF, especially C-AF enhancements might be considered for the next gen of cameras since the current is so basic.

It would be nice to see me feature sets, even though new HW may be required to make it better, it should still work some.

10. Aqualung

Aqualung Mu-43 Regular

Jan 10, 2013
    Central Mass
    Chris
    1. Have metering follow the focus point in both Spot and CW.
    2. Set the maximum ISO as you say and set a minimum shutter speed
    3. Allow exposure steps separately for aperture and EV...I'd like to be able to do 1/3 for EV and full stop for aperture...but occasionally 1/3 for aperture too...give us all the flexibility.
    4. Improve flash TTL

• Like Like x 1
  11. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Ah, how clever. So simple and so brilliant. I want.

12. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    I would like to save button assignments in mysets, and I'd like a way to assign exposure lock to the AEL button and AF-on to a different button. And I'd like anything I set to persist when I turn the camera off and on again.

13. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

A feature that allows you to not have to set up your camera again after every. Damn. Update...

Z...

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    On Mysets, it would be useful to assign meaningful names to them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Cat, Blow Out Highlights, OOF, What Was I Thinking, . . .

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    In Firmware 5.0 you will be able to select a photo and go to a menu option called Diagnose. It will work out everything the photographer did wrong, and explain it to them. If the photo is really bad the explanation will end with the suggestion that they should use iAuto mode.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    On top of a lot of great ideas already said, in-camera Panorama stitching.

18. Lcrunyon

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
  19. BrundleFly

BrundleFly Mu-43 Regular

May 6, 2015
    Ontario
    Some really great ideas guys! Thanks for the link Lcrunyon, maybe we could make a poll out of this thread and send Jamie the top 6 or 7.

20. Lcrunyon

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    I'm in.