1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Future Olympus

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BobBill, Mar 5, 2012.

1. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    The EM5 or whatever it is now named is impressive. The 4/3 format is here to stay, no doubt, even with the Sony 7 marching right along.

I do have one question, however. Olympus has a number of executives under investigation and indictment and they apparently compromised the firm's financial position.

I perused the site here and the WWW for more information, before committing to buying this latest gem, and found little.

I know there are few sure things, but even GM went into the tombs, so was wondering.

Any comments?

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The question of Oly's future might be better answered in a forum devoted to business than cameras. But here's my take, which seems to be the general consensus from what I've read. The Japanese financial regulators seem to be going after individuals, not the company. There was, apparently, a decision not to delist the company's stock in Japan. Had the decision gone the other way, it would probably have forced Olympus into some sort of receivership or bankruptcy.

There are ongoing reports in the financial press about potential partnerships with other companies to give Olympus an infusion of cash. To date, those appear to be nothing more than rumors, but companies including Sony, Panasonic, and Samsung appear to have a least some interest in investing in Olympus. That could be interpreted as a sign of confidence in the company.

OTOH, Olympus' camera division is a pretty small part of the company. Should Olympus go into bankruptcy, it's entirely possible the camera division could be sold off to another company to raise cash. If that happens, the buyer might keep Olympus alive as a camera company, might incorporate Olympus technology into their own products (if they're an existing camera company), or might dismantle the company and sell off it's patents and technologies. Who knows?

But my own opinion, which is worth exactly what you're paying for it :), is that if Olympus has survived this long into the scandal, it's likely to continue to survive. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an Oly camera because of the financial situation. (I'm not convinced the OMD is the best choice in the price range, but that's a different issue.)

In the worst case, you buy the camera, Oly goes belly up, and there's no one left to provide warranty support. But cameras today are pretty reliable, and most of the things that are likely to fail will do so right away, so unless Oly fails in April or May that's a minor worry.

Should Oly go out of business further down the road, the camera will still work as well as it does initially, there are lenses available from Panasonic and 3rd party companies, and there will almost certainly be [non-warranty] service available from independent firms.

If I see a good photographic reason to buy an Oly, I'll buy in spite of the financial issues. At the moment, I think my GH2 is likely to be a better choice for me (but I'm keeping an open mind until I see actual test reports on the OMD), and even if the OMD turns out to be great I'll probably wait to see what the GH3 offers before making any decisions.

3. BobBill

BobBill Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 29, 2010
    MN USA
    Bob Hively-Johnson
    Olympus" Future

Your reply is appreciated, mirrors my similarly valuable worry :] though I am more or less in the Oly boat with my Ep2...

I am just an old am street type shooter, so time will help.

There was not much on topic, that I could find on the WWW.

Again, Thanks.