Future of Olympus cameras

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Yong, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Yong

Yong Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2014
    After I had times with G7 and GX8, Oly bodies looks like... slow. I mean, slow by performance-wise.

I played a bit with some Pana bodies while I'm in camera shop to buying some cleaning stuff. And I discovered they are extremely fast. Especially G7 and GX8 are outstanding by operation speed and single AF performance standard.(I used same single 1 area small target AF setting for compare) They acquire focus literally instantly. It's almost like they know already when I gonna press the shutter button even before I tap the shutter.
    It's not that current olympus bodies are sluggish. They are very fast in their own right. I like my E-P5, and it had rarely disappointed me in real life usage. Anyway mine(P5+25mm) was faster than much more expensive D810 + 50mm 1.8G combo when I compared it, so no really complaining here. Nevertheless, latest generation Pana bodies are just too supreme to be ignored. G7 makes latest Olympus cameras looks like slow performers relatively. I almost convinced to go for G7 there. G7 was faster than E-M1 when it comes to switch on to shot, and S-AF. It was my impression at least(I didn't checked firmware version on displayed E-M1.) and that's indeed impressive performance.

I didn't know just operation performance can impact user's experience this much. I'm likely to give a serious look on pana cameras for my next purchase. Hope Olympus can manage in this regards for their upcoming new cams. I'm not an expert of digital technologies, but if computer's performance is related to its physical dimensions, I think it would be interesting to see vastly faster E-M1 mark II with cost of more bigger and heavier body.(well, just like flagships from C and N) Now we have 3 segmented in OM-D lineups, and they need to be more distinctly diversified by performance and compactness. For example, super fast and big E-M1, light E-M10, and E-M5 at between. Integrated vertical battery grip and more rooms for faster computer, does it sound?
    Can we accept "big and heavy" micro 4/3 flagship cam for cost of super performances?

EDITED : corrected typo.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
  2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Uh?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    You'd likely find the same increase in speed with the om-d line. But now that you've had a taste...have fun shopping

4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    show us your photos...mine are in my sig......otherwise your geek troll speak kinda rings hollow

K

• Like Like x 1
  5. gr6825

gr6825 Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 10, 2012
    Yong, you said the Oly EP-5 was faster than a Nikon D810 + 50mm f/1.8g. I am skeptical of that claim, but your own experience should tell you big does not always beat small.

6. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Ah yes, the resident grump crawls out of his hole to offer yet more insightful information. Thanks for participating!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yong

Yong Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2014
    You're right. I didn't noticed fail of my reasoning. Thank you for your criticism.
    Mine-beats-D810 claim was based on my observation in the store. I'm not used to deal with D810 than mine, so it is possible that I didn't know how to operate it or I'm biased to what I have, perhapse.

8. Yong

Yong Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2014
    I post my images in this forum time to time. It would be my great pleasure if you enjoy them.

9. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Based on real life usage in pro events, I seemed to recall the D810 is faster with the 50 1.4G than my E-P5 with the Panasonic Leica 25mm f/1.4. The 1.8G lens isn't the fastest in terms of AF speed so I can relate to that. However, store cameras usually set the D810 AF to something like AF-A so there could be a delay. AF-A is like all AF 35 pattern box active. It's slower than single AF or single touch AF. Just so you know. I've used D800/D810 at my former work place so I'm quite familiar with its performance against my E-P5 and E-5.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Yong

Yong Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2014
    I'm not sure if my perception of speed "difference" between two brands are really standing or just was my taste. Anyway thaw was refreshing experience for me.
    For OM-D performance increase, I actually found it on E-M10. That felt more nimble than P5 AF speed-wise. Though I got that impression more significantly from G7 and GX8.

11. Yong

Yong Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2014
    Looks like I was saying clueless about D810. So now I'm leaning again to vague idea of "Bigger size potentially related to faster operation".

12. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

1) Olympus bodies will always be ever so slightly slower at startup because the IBIS has to float the sensor to the active position from rest. But it's not a sure thing, my GM5 is slower to turn on and off compared to my E-M1 for instance.

2) The PL25 is actually one of the slower AF m4/3 lenses, especially on an Olympus body. The O45 and PL15 are way faster in comparison.

You're right though, any Panasonic lens/body combinations that support DFD and 120 FPS AF refresh will be a bit faster at S-AF. That's probably the main difference you noticed with the GX8 and G7.

• Like Like x 1
  13. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    My experience with Panasonic (and with m43 as a whole) is that are very fast and responsive shooters. Not just focusing or switching on, but the whole shooting experience. Its one of their strengths which makes them some of the better street/travel/documentary cameras. I have less experience with Oly, but the models I used were a bit slower, although their adoption of using the touchpad to move the focus point while using the EVF should narrow whatever gap (if any) still exists between the two.

14. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    If you were to say G7 or GX8 with a Panasonic lens, then yes it will feel somewhat faster than the D810 with a 50mm on single AF. Which Panasonic lens mounted is also important, because some are faster than the others in driving the lens element giving you faster focus lock. This is again my experience during the Panasonic event I attended when I was playing with a G7 with all my personal pro Panasonic zooms and primes collection and DFD did indeed speed up single AF and C-AF with 3D tracking (G7 for sure and I think on GX8 or I could be wrong) better than my E-P5 and so I was impressed though not overall exciting compared to D810's Nikon 51 AF with 3D tracking. I would still get a used G7 or GX8 body down the road if and when my old Olympus E-5 FT body ever dies to complement my E-P5.

15. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Panasonic cameras are faster than Olympus, it's a fact. They have always been and I suspect always will be. When the OM-D E-M5 came out I remember comparing it to my GH2 and feeling deeply disappointed with its AF speed and accuracy. The same applies to features such as 4K photo etc. — Panasonic is and will always be well ahead in their development.

Panasonic is a huge corporation with great resources. They make their own sensors and processors, and they invest heavily in future development because it benefits Micro 4/3 as well as their professional/broadcast division which is hugely profitable.

That said, I'm constantly amazed at how well Olympus does for such an insignificant and dinky company :biggrin: In fact, much better than, say, Pentax which has no technologies of its own and is churning out more or less the same tired old thing with no real innovation over and over again.

16. Yong

Yong Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2014
    OK, now I'm seeing which mistake I made here. It seems people assuming I'm grumbling Olympus and praising Panasonic while I'm comparing them, but that was not my intention posting this. Like already I mentioned in my OP, I'm satisfied with CURRENT Olympus performance. What I'm talking about is, direction of FUTURE Olympus gear development would be possible to deliver great user experience when they managed to get better speed, responsiveness. I know they are not sitting in the ground, but what I want to see is somehow more distinctive impression of progression. I'm wondering if that could be acquired by enlarging physical body, though now it begins to seem not so relevant.

• Like Like x 1
  17. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    I still can't get over how small the E-M5, E-M5II, and E-M10 are - and I still don't feel that my E-M1 is THAT much larger. I'm sure I'd get used to it, but for me, the E-M1 doesn't feel at all huge compared to the SLRs I used to use.

I still don't get the speed thing. I've owned and used some very fast cameras over the years, and I still feel like modern m43 cameras "feel" faster than most modern amateur SLRs. Not counting the Nikon D4 or the Canon 1Dx series.

Sometimes the size and shape of the camera can make it feel faster too.

I still feel that the lenses are the jewel in the crown for Olympus. I currently own the 12mm f2, 17mm f1.8, and the "modern" 75-300 and they all are really lovely and sharp optics.

Get out and take some great photos! I'm way overdue, myself.

18. jonoslack

jonoslack Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2011
    You're comparing your (nearly) 3 year old E-P5 (the E-M1 is the same age) with the latest Panasonic models! - it's hardly strange that you're noticing a difference! - We can expect the Olympus replacements later this year, and I would assume we'll see similar improvements. . . . I'm quite certain that doesn't mean that the camera needs to get any larger.

As for comparisons with dSLRs . . . .
    I was feeling nostalgic for a proper optical SLR finder so I went to my local store to play and I was rather surprised to see how slow the Nikon D750 felt , and more to the point, how the Viewfinder seemed rather small! (and the shutter so terribly noisy).

What we need is an E-M1ii with a viewfinder like the Leica SL (huge and glorious). . . . . . and I would think it's likely we'll get one! I'm sure the AF will be faster . . . . . But I can't say there's much to criticise in the AF performance with the current pro lenses on the E-M1 with current firmware (except possibly in very low light).

19. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    I have difficulty in understand this “SPEED” thing. Are photographers now relying on the camera to make up for their inadequacies. Why is speed so relevant? This reminds me of the late 1960’s early 1970’s when I was drag racing and those who could not shift a manual transmission gravitated to cars with automatic transmissions. Is that the mentality now requiring fast cameras because photographers have lost the ability to prepare, anticipate and grab a shot? What is so important about speed and why was it less relevant during the film shooting days?

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. It may sound grumpy, but to provide some context for yourself and other newer members, in it's heyday this forum operated as a meritocracy where there was a much stronger expectation for active members to establish and then maintain their photographic credility. This was very helpful because it was easier back then to identify those who knew what they were talking about compared with those who were just talking.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1