1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Future first time olympus user need help

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DarthTrader, Feb 28, 2014.

1. DarthTrader

DarthTrader Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 30, 2013
    Caloocan
    Hi, I have some extra money for my G.A.S. :) I'm choosing between e-m5 and an e-m10. What will you recommend for a first time oly user? I want to upgrade my old and trusty GF1. This time I want a built in evf/ovf. I only have 1 lens and that is the 14mm f2.5. I cannot afford an e-m1 and I'm also thinking about the x100. Shooting mostly streets, travel photography, architectural and portraits.

2. RAH

RAH Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Rich
    Unless you need the weatherproofing of the E-M5, I'd recommend the E-M10. It is a newer model, has WiFi, focus peaking, a newer level processor, etc. I think Olympus will have to upgrade the E-M5 pretty soon (or drop it?), because IMHO the E-M10 is a more desirable camera. I am also planning to get a m43 camera very soon, and my choice for myself is the E-M10.

3. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    I have no experience with the OM-D E-M5, but just got the OM-D E-M10 this week and love it! Agree with RAH that it would probably be your better choice. The Wi-Fi remote control feature and transferring of images to mobile device make it especially nice. Plus, naturally, all the features this camera packs in.

4. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    If you are considering new and don't need weather sealing, the 10 is it. However if you are ok with used or refurb, prices are about $200 less for the 5.

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Hey Darth I'm going to suggest something odd.
    Wait a bit, see how the E-M10 price develops (drops) once it's not so new.
    If you don't mind second-hand go for an E-M5 if you can find a cheap one.
    If you can't wait ... so be it : E-M10

6. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Is there a guess out there as to where the refub/used market might settle at for the em10? I've been looking over the specs and impressions, and nothing stands out to me that makes one or the other an obvious choice.

7. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The E-M10 has a newer generation of image processor (hardware & software), and if you shoot JPGs, the E-M10 is what you want. I have the 14/2.5 and it has some noticeable CA in the edges and corners. With the E-M1 (same processor) it's all gone.

8. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I'd get the EM5 used or refurb. You can get them for $450-550. Love this camera. No experience w./ the EM10, which I'm sure is a fine camera, but the EM5 is weatherproof and has 5 axis IBIS. Not sure if you can just use a Wifi SD card instead of having built in, but I think you can, if that's important. Neat feature, but not something I'd use all the time. Just my $.02. Either way you can't go wrong.

9. DarthTrader

DarthTrader Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 30, 2013
    Caloocan
    Thank you for your suggestions guys! :) I appreciate it. I can get a used e-m5 for about $500 here. Probably, i'll just wait for the price of e-m10 to stabilize. Based on the reviews both are excellent on high iso shots which is a real upgrade over my gf1.