Further tweaking my kit: Panasonic 35-100mm

entropicremnants

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John Griggs
Well, after really loving the Panasonic 12-35mm zoom, I decided I'm going to take a further step and get the 35-100mm. This means some other gear will be for sale and it will be my Oly 75mm f/1.8 and the Panasonic 45-150mm f/4-5.6.

Both are great lenses, but I can make do with the 35-100mm and in fact I need that. I shoot some pro-bono events for churches from time to time and the zooms would be nice to have. I was shooting an event in my church yesterday hovering around ISO-3200 with the 45-150mm at full zoom and not all that happy. Two stops faster (fully zoomed in) would have been nice to have.

Is the 75mm sharper? WAY sharper. But lens sharpness still isn't the most important criteria for me. Adequate sharpness, yes. Absolute sharpness (which the 75mm approaches) no. Certain qualities of the rendering are more important and it appears the 35-100mm will give me that.

My kit shrinks to: 7-14mm, 12-35mm, 35-100mm, 17mm f/1.8, 25mm f/1.4. I like that actually.

So: my kit evolves some more. I've moved back into my old ways: lesser bodies that I like and "pro" lenses. Likely I'll miss the 75mm but I need to at least mostly fund this purchase.

I did find a 35-100mm from a reputable dealer in Japan for around $1100 shipped.

THIS IS NOT ME OFFERING THESE FOR SALE YET. I will put up a classified when the time comes.

Livnius

Super Moderator
Real Name
Joe
Good stuff John.
Although not as ridiculously sharp as the O75, that 35-100 looks to be a super versatile lens...a real work horse that offers a shooter so much flexibility, and absolutely no slouch either optically. Love the O75, but I really have been weighting up my options as well.

robbie36

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
rob collins
I go through some of the same thoughts. I was thinking of getting the 35-100 in addition to the 75/1.8 but then you have a problem of not getting a lot of extra relative to the room they take up in your bag.

What I am really looking for (Oly please?) is a 40-150 2.8(-3.5) or 55-200 2.8 (-3.5). Still there is a lot of talk from people about Oly fast zooms and not a lot of action.

I have decided instead to add an Oly 75-300 ii to supplement my 75. I have a few trips coming up with which it will be useful in any case.

entropicremnants

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John Griggs
Good stuff John.
Although not as ridiculouly sharp the O75, that 35-100 looks to be a super versatile lens...a real work horse that offers a shooter so much flexibility, and absolutely no slouch either optically. Love the O75, but I really have been weighting up my options as well.

Well, I'm a victim of my own irony, lol. Not too long ago, on a topic about GAS, I suggested I was happy with what I had in my kit... and I was -- THEN!

Well, I think I miss my fast zooms for certain things and if they are sharp enough they can do my art photography also. Most of my urbex stuff will be shot with the 7-14mm anyway.

Although if it was just art photography I could get by with primes in general, when I do want to shoot something like an event I want two cameras and good zooms. Spoiled I guess.

I'm not even doing this as a business (not that I ever really did -- but I thought I was going to). It's just a way I'm accustomed to event shooting where I know I have what I need ready all the time. That's what I miss.

entropicremnants

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John Griggs
I go through some of the same thoughts. I was thinking of getting the 35-100 in addition to the 75/1.8 but then you have a problem of not getting a lot of extra relative to the room they take up in your bag.

What I am really looking for (Oly please?) is a 40-150 2.8(-3.5) or 55-200 2.8 (-3.5). Still there is a lot of talk from people about Oly fast zooms and not a lot of action.

I have decided instead to add an Oly 75-300 ii to supplement my 75. I have a few trips coming up with which it will be useful in any case.

I quite agree on Oly. Let's see fewer body updates and more zoom lenses. You can't fault them on the primes they've cranked out though.

Savas K

Mu-43 Top Veteran
That is the way to go for events. Two fast zooms and you're done. The purchase is an indirect donation to the church; on top of photos they must love to have. :smile:

Haans

Mu-43 Regular
The 75 was just too sharp for me. Like some TV's, way too sharp. Looses character...
Did exactly what you are doing when they first came out, but bought it in the local brick and mortar.

monk3y

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steven
Did you check Rakuten already?

I bought all my stuff from Map camera (went to their physical store in Shinjuku), and they are selling the 35-100mm on Rakuten now for only Y89,800($890) Map Camera Although I dunno if they ship outside Japan.

The one that appears on the global rakuten site is Kitamura Camera and is selling it for about $910. Rakuten: Panasonic LUMIX G X VARIO 35-100mm/F2.8/POWER O.I.S. H-HS35100 - Shopping Japanese products from Japan

Although if there's no more free shipping I guess you have to cough up about $80 or so for shipping.

dav1dz

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've been saving for the 35-100/2.8 or a similar fast zoom from Olympus. It'll complete my kit and I'll end up with something like 9-18, 17, 35-100. Very similar to your kit just without a mid-range zoom!

juangrande

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I got one from "T- Dimension" off of e-bay after ordering 3 times off of Amazon from Japanese vendors. Each time they canceled due to out of stock!! Paid about $1150 after ebay "conversion fees". Arrived in less than a week, with a guarantee (to fully repair this lens at their facilities) for 8 years. The copy I got performs exactly like the tests I read about. Sharpest across the frame at 100mm with vignetting, softest on the edges at 35mm wide open. But for shooting events, the edges rarely matter. Nice color rendition and contrast. Somewhat better than the 45-175, which I think is the best of the slow zooms. Overall, I'm quite happy with it! I sent a couple of messages to T-Dimensions after buying and they were very quick to respond. Seems like it worked out well. Hopefully, they will be around in 8 yrs if I need them.

entropicremnants

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John Griggs
Did you check Rakuten already?

I bought all my stuff from Map camera (went to their physical store in Shinjuku), and they are selling the 35-100mm on Rakuten now for only Y89,800($890) Map Camera Although I dunno if they ship outside Japan.

The one that appears on the global rakuten site is Kitamura Camera and is selling it for about $910. Rakuten: Panasonic LUMIX G X VARIO 35-100mm/F2.8/POWER O.I.S. H-HS35100 - Shopping Japanese products from Japan

Although if there's no more free shipping I guess you have to cough up about $80 or so for shipping.

Thanks, bought it on eBay from a reputable seller under eBay name matsuiyastore. They trade in general as Matsuiya International Co.,LTD.

I don't know Rakuten though I'll certainly check it out. I rely to some extent on eBay's reputation system to filter through the high discount vendors to find someone who looks like they are legitimate. Other times, I just buy from somewhere I know and pay the extra. I'm inconsistent that way, lol.

entropicremnants

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John Griggs
I got one from "T- Dimension" off of e-bay after ordering 3 times off of Amazon from Japanese vendors. Each time they canceled due to out of stock!! Paid about $1150 after ebay "conversion fees". Arrived in less than a week, with a guarantee (to fully repair this lens at their facilities) for 8 years. The copy I got performs exactly like the tests I read about. Sharpest across the frame at 100mm with vignetting, softest on the edges at 35mm wide open. But for shooting events, the edges rarely matter. Nice color rendition and contrast. Somewhat better than the 45-175, which I think is the best of the slow zooms. Overall, I'm quite happy with it! I sent a couple of messages to T-Dimensions after buying and they were very quick to respond. Seems like it worked out well. Hopefully, they will be around in 8 yrs if I need them.

Total was $1123 from Matsuiya with shipping, so it's about the same deal.

monk3y

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steven
Thanks, bought it on eBay from a reputable seller under eBay name matsuiyastore. They trade in general as Matsuiya International Co.,LTD.

I don't know Rakuten though I'll certainly check it out. I rely to some extent on eBay's reputation system to filter through the high discount vendors to find someone who looks like they are legitimate. Other times, I just buy from somewhere I know and pay the extra. I'm inconsistent that way, lol.

:biggrin: I haven't heard of matsuiya, maybe their store front have a different name.

The most professional store I've been to here is Map camera, very competitive prices and good service. Unfortunately I don't think they ship overseas if you buy through Rakuten. Kitamura camera is pretty popular too for enthusiast.

entropicremnants

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John Griggs
:biggrin: I haven't heard of matsuiya, maybe their store front have a different name.

The most professional store I've been to here is Map camera, very competitive prices and good service. Unfortunately I don't think they ship overseas if you buy through Rakuten. Kitamura camera is pretty popular too for enthusiast.

I appreciate the tips, thanks!

Bokeh Diem

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I tested my new 45-150 hard and sold it immediately. Far too much corrective work on it req'd in LR, and the specs just kept coming up short on it.

I have been spoiled by much better lenses in the past, long ones, from 90 on up by Zeiss, the Contax series, and the Oly SWD Pro 150 2.0. You get used to that level and it is very hard to drop down ten notches.

I am however looking to supplant all of that for lightweight non-adapted material. You are going the same way.

I have seen some lukewarm reviews and responses to the 35-100 but I cannot trust all of them as they may have commercial biases and the like. I look forward to hearing from you directly on the subject.

sigamy

Mu-43 Regular
Would the 35-100 offer any improvements for quick pans, fast motion video shooting over the 45-200?

entropicremnants

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John Griggs
I tested my new 45-150 hard and sold it immediately. Far too much corrective work on it req'd in LR, and the specs just kept coming up short on it.

I have been spoiled by much better lenses in the past, long ones, from 90 on up by Zeiss, the Contax series, and the Oly SWD Pro 150 2.0. You get used to that level and it is very hard to drop down ten notches.

I am however looking to supplant all of that for lightweight non-adapted material. You are going the same way.

I have seen some lukewarm reviews and responses to the 35-100 but I cannot trust all of them as they may have commercial biases and the like. I look forward to hearing from you directly on the subject.

I can't say as the 45-150mm displeased me as much as it did you, but then I never expected much out of a fairly slow "kit" type zoom. Overall I have found it pretty good but the aperture kills me sometimes. I've looked carefully at a lot of work done with the 35-100mm and I think it will be fine. If I need more reach for something I'll get a 100-300mm or whatever.

Would the 35-100 offer any improvements for quick pans, fast motion video shooting over the 45-200?

I would think so but I can't say for sure as I've not used the 45-200mm for video. Maybe someone else on here can help you.

Recently, there was a lens firmware update to the 12-35mm f/2.8 version to address that very issue: video panning.

I don't have the 35-100mm yet so I can't really comment on how well it works for that.

jnewell

Mu-43 All-Pro
I would expect that this will work out very well for you. For me, the 12-35/2.8 and 35-100/2.8 on two bodies essentially duplicates an equipment approach that I have become completely comfortable and happy with on larger cameras - and it's a whole lot lighter and more portable. Add the 7-14/4 and possibly the 100-300mm and the waterfront is really very well covered. :thumbup:

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
I have both lenses. Both are great. With my eyes and my lenses, I do not see a significant differences in sharpness between the lenses.

I could live without the O75mm ... I wouldn't want to live without the P35-70.

I think you're making the right move, for event/photojournalistic type stuff, the P35-100 shines and delivers.

Gary

Latest threads

Top Bottom