Funny table conversation regarding full frame Nikon camera.. I had to smile

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by PhilS, May 26, 2014.

1. PhilS

PhilS Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Phil Savory
    I was sitting at a table with some distant relatives during my cousins 21st party. Most were people who I had only just met. I had my OMD EM5 with me and there was the usual gathering of Canon and Nikon cameras with zooms around.

A lady proudly sits down next to me with an impressive Nikon plus lens.

Person across from us: "That.s a Nikon isn't it, they make great camera's don't they!"
    Lady next to me: "Yes they do..I bought it as I was going to Italy and needed a good camera."

Person across from us: "Did you take some good photos.?"
    Lady next to me: "Well actually I ended up using my Iphone most of the time as the camera was too large to carry around but I did take a few photos with my zoom."

I patted my camera as a smile formed across my face.. my precious... my precious
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Kilauea

Kilauea Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    It almost feels good to see people blindly follow the herd and then figure out (or not) that they are not from the same species. I know its terrible of me to think that, sorry.
  3. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    Photography is such an empirical art. You got to make errors to progress! All is experimentations and that lady sure has learn what a big camera drawbacks has now.
  4. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    I've watched people with Nikon D4s and D800s, 70-200mm lens attached, struggling to hold up and keep steady their cameras. I came close to buying a D800; I'm glad I didn't. I prefer a lighter kit.
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I have a friend that's really bright but doesn't want to mess too much with a camera. She also has a pretty good eye and appreciates good results. She tried a DSLR, but finally bonded with a Nikon 1 J1. One fashion advantage women have is that (again, in the US) they usually carry a bag of some kind, which means they are less likely to need a camera to be pocketable.
  6. Ellsass

Ellsass Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    I love mirrorless schadenfreude as much as the next person. Perhaps next time you could point out (politely, since you just met them) the benefits of mirrorless and how nice it is to be able to take nice photos without the burden of weight and bulk. I'm guessing their Nikons have APS-C which isn't showstoppingly better than m43, and depending on the types of photos they take (ask!) there may be no discernable difference at all.
  7. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lol ... Good iron you Phil :2thumbs: My ward boy is a rich man and drives a Jaguar . He had a look at my shots and asked me if I can teach him how to take such shots with his camera . I asked him which camera do u have ? " it is a laters model Nikon doc " . Fine , he brought NikonD800E with 24-70 2.8 and have no clue even how to unscrew the lens . This is a common scenario , people buy latest and greatest cameras but never make an effort to learn or know now this blood things works expect how to push auto button . The most discussion is often about how many megapixels my camera has and how long is the zoom and that's it .
  8. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I invited a friend to go on a photo oriented mountain bike ride. He has a Nikon with the 24-70 on it. We got geared up to ride and I asked him where his camera was, it's too heavy for this ride was his reply. He had a GoPro and a P&S, but I'm the one that got all the photos.
  9. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I've recommended more people to not buy a larger camera (Micro 4/3 included) after asking them a) what do you do with your photos, and b) are you likely to carry anything bigger than a pocket-sized camera with you?
  10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I have recommended the RX100 to many folks, especially after version 1 dropped to around $400. I wonder how big a mu43 version of that would be?
  11. gotak

gotak Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Weak! I used to haul my canon kit around all the time. It did hurt but you know it's part of the game :S.

Now a days I have 5 lens and a em1 in a tiny bag and it weight less then the 7D with 1 zoom did.

Most of the time I recommend one of the good P&S when people want a better camera. Unless the person has a real drive to take good photos they will never need anything more. I have a friend who started with a s95 and ended up with a NEX and manual primes while another started with a rebel with primes and ended up only having an iphone today.
  12. vbi

vbi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    Cape Town
    There is a compelling argument that most people will never need more than a Sony RX100. Must say I am pretty fond of mine for a P&S with m43-like quality.