1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fungus on this lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by azngigolo64, Apr 26, 2012.

1. azngigolo64

azngigolo64 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    Bought a Hexanon AR 28mm 3.5 from Ebay a while ago and didn't use it until this week. I think there is fungus on here, but since I am a newb, can you guys confirm? Thanks.

Pic 1 (the threads on the bottom of the lens, hard to get the lighting right)

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/78334557@N05/7114707035/" title="P1040738 by azngigolo64, on Flickr">"1024" height="980" alt="P1040738"></a>

Pic 2 (those threadlike things between the 6-9 o-clock position)

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/78334557@N05/7114706647/" title="P1040739 by azngigolo64, on Flickr">"1024" height="572" alt="P1040739"></a>

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    It's pretty tough to diagnose off those shots, but I would say that looks like fungus. For comparison, take a look at these pictures .

I just want to verify that you cleaned the front and rear elements thoroughly before you took these shots, right?

AFAIK the best way to deal with fungus (short of taking the lens apart) is with UV light. Just leave the lens out (with the aperture open) in sunlight (be careful of the converging light through the lens) for a few hours and it's possible the fungus could die back.

Do you have any idea how long this fungus may have been on the lens?

3. azngigolo64

azngigolo64 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    No idea. I bought it off ebay about 3 months ago and didn't really use/look at it closely until tonight. That bright white spot near the 6-o-clock position in picture 1 and near the 6.5-o-clock position on picture 2 seems to be where the coating has been eaten away. I will leave it out in the sunlight and see what happens.

I have never cleaned a lens before, so no, it was not cleaned before taking those photos.

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm not talking about taking the lens apart, I'm just saying you should wipe off the front and rear glass with a lens pen or microfiber cloth just to make sure that whatever you're seeing when you run the light through the lens is actually on the inside of the lens.

I'm not certain that sunlight will eradicate the fungus (if it is fungus), but it's a pretty simple first step to try.

Frankly, this lens may not be worth a lot of effort to clean. I assume you don't have a whole bunch invested in it (similar lenses can be had on KEH for around $35).

If the fungus has been there a while it's likely that it's eroded the lens coatings, so even eradicating the fungus won't bring the lens all the way back. I'd just see if I can stop it in it's tracks and then take some pics and see if there's any impact on image quality.