Fund A Photographer gear giveaway for schools

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Canon is doing a nice job of providing some sweet gear for schools.

LINK

The cameras cover the skill range, from the basic t6i up to the 90D.
However, all are APS-C cameras, which leads to a format matching problem with the lenses.

The 18-135 is a GREAT GP lens. :thumbup:
Some of the other lenses, I think are a bit questionable.
The 16-35/2.8 is a FF lens, the wide to normal FoV works for APS-C.
The 24-105, pretty good APS-C range. Longer than the 18 -135, but usable as a GP APS-C lens.
The 70-200/2.8 is a great night field lens, for yearbook and newspaper. But I question how much better it would be than the 18-135 or even 24-105, for most students.
The 70-300, good range even for APS-C.
As you push the envelope I can see where some of the lenses gain value.
Example if the kid shoots sports, not many high shoot parents can afford to buy a 70-200/2.8.

But, despite my comments, I am still glad to see that Canon did something like this.
For many schools, with ever shrinking budgets, photo gear is at the bottom of the priority list.

I was told of an instance where the art department chair pressured the yearbook advisor into "donating" some of his photo gear to the art department.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Man, even when a company does something nice and donates a butt-load of equipment to a good cause there is always someone who has to critique it.

The proper response to the original post should have been something like, "oh, that's cool." or "Awesome" and not nitpicking the individual pieces donated. :rolleyes:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Man, even when a company does something nice and donates a butt-load of equipment to a good cause there is always someone who has to critique it.

The proper response to the original post should have been something like, "oh, that's cool." or "Awesome" and not nitpicking the individual pieces donated. :rolleyes:

I did say "I am still glad to see that Canon did something like this."
Maybe I should have said that first.

I was struck trying to figure out how the gear could be configured and used by the schools.
Because it appears to me that the guy at Canon who picked the items did not seem to understand his two product lines, APS-C and FF. And it is this mismatch of APS-C cameras and FF lenses that is my issue. So yes it is great, and some REALLY GOOD stuff, that many schools can't afford. But someone at Canon did not do a very good job of selecting the matching gear to put into the package. IOW, I feel that the package could have been put together much better.
However, in the end, the schools will make the best of what they get, whatever it is. Because anything is better than nothing.

An issue that I initially had, I sort of reasoned out myself.
Why give this one teacher 5 of the 50 cameras. That is a significant percentage, leaving much less for other schools.
However, in practice, a teacher needs a certain amount of gear to run a class. If he only gets one or two cameras, that may not be enough, so giving him five does make sense.
Then hope that subsequent donors, seeing what Canon donated, will add to the inventory, to give to other schools.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom