Functional GH2 System Bag

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Tom Swaman, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

I feel certain this has been asked before, but I could not find what I need. So, if this is a duplication, please forgive me and point me to the best information.

I am looking for a reasonably priced, good quality, highly functional GH2 system camera shoulder/storage bag that will hold at least one body, preferably with lens, three other lenses, the "500" flash and miscellaneous batteries, charger, memory card, etc. I am considering the Tamrac 5606, but one of the lense storage locations is under the camera and access to this seems difficult and I wonder whether camera and lens are adequately separated.

Thank you in advance for saring your thoughts, and hopefully, experiences with me.

Happy weekend,
  2. zpierce

zpierce Super Moderator

Sep 26, 2010
    Minneapolis, MN
    There are several long bag threads with lots of good info. However, I have a GH2, and a bag that holds 3-4 additional lenses, flash, and some accessories nicely that I like. It's not too big either which was another criteria. Tamrac 3537 Express 7 Camera Bag (Khaki): Camera & Photo

It has 3 columns in it, I put the camera + 14-140 lens in the middle with the 20mm below. In the right column I have a 50mm and flash with a bit of room left over. In the left column I have the 100-300 (takes up a whole column). The bag is nice quality, olive colored canvas and tan suede, doesn't scream camera bag. The 100-300 takes up a lot of room, without that I've carried my G1 and 14-45 and charger in there as well.
  3. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    This thread here is quite long, but I'm pretty sure it'll cover a good variety of bags that us u4/3 users have:

Bags and more bags

For me, I have two bags that I use regularly:

Domke F-5XC:
    This is best as a day bag. It fits my G2 with 7-14mm, 14-140mm, and one other lens. It also fits the E-PL1 with 20mm at the same time.

Basically it is meant to carry one body with a lens attached, and 3 other lenses of your choice. All are VERY easily accessible.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Tenba Messenger Small:
    This is my travel bag, or photo shoot bag. It basically carries all of my photo gear except for my E-1 body. I can get my G2 with 7-14mm, E-PL1 with 20mm, XZ-1, 14-140mm, 14-42mm, and 14-54mm mkII with adapter in there. I also store my FL-50 flash, flash cable, and related filters in the bag. On top of that, it has additional room for magazines, a laptop, and/or a tablet.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

More details of both bags are given in the thread I posted above.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Zach and Mclarenf3,

Thanks for your suggestions and for the thread reference. This is very useful and good information.

Best regards,
  5. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    LowePro ProRunner 200AW

I am very happy with LowePro bags and have them for each of my m4/3 kits when used separately and wanted something to "take it all" on a trip or photo workshop. The ProRunner 200Aw fits everything in a neat small backpack, and carries the following:

GF1 with LV1 and Pan/Leica 45, the G1 with the 14-45 and 45-200 (either can be on the camera), the 14, 20, two polarizing filters, all shades, the remote, two batteries, all with plenty of room to spare. It has an attached rain cover which tucks away (hence the AW all weather designation), has a pouch that could carry a sandwich etc, and you can even attach a tripod if desired. It is totally configurable, very compact, well padded, and small. Perfect for the intended purpose.

6. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    I very much like the Lowepro Classified Series. I own the 250 which just swallows gear including my laptop, and the 160 as a daybag. I prefer these to all others I have tried and owned. They also don't look like camera bags. Great for urban shooting.

I have had it with backpacks and swings, although I do keep a waterproof Lowepro Vertex 300 for travel or specialized all-in equipment duties.
  7. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

Pjohngren and Bokeh Diem,

Thank you for your suggestions. My wife and I used to use exclusively Lowepro when we traveled with heavy gear for real wildlife shooting. When we stopped doing this several years back, my wife lightened her gear and switched to Tamrac bags and I bought a Thinktanl. The latter was truly the best quality I have seen and this includes Lightware.

In looking for a bag for my GH2 gear, I tried to look at the Domke, Lowepro, Tamrac and Tenba websites after ruling out a Kata, Panasonic and Thinktank bag. Frankly, perhaps it is me, but I found the Lowepro website to be a maze of difficulty with a plethora of non-specific information. This says nothing about the bags themselves, but it sure made shopping impossible.

FWIMBW, the bag I selected this morning will hold my camera with the 14-140mm, the 45mm f/2.8. the 100-300mm, the 20mm f/1.7, the FL-500 and a plethora of batteries, memory cards, chargers, filters, lens brush, cords, etc. I could potentially hold another lens and shade if I wanted. I also am able to place the well padded dividers to spread the weight rasonably uniform. The bag is very well made and the padding and dividers are firm, but very protective of individual pieces of gear. The bag is not too large. Access to individual pieces of gear is reasonable, but not super fast. I am referring to the Tenba 5606. This bag has a very convenient, but out-of-the way instruction manual/papers pocket. Because the bag opens from the outside rather than from the inside, the amount of small item and discrete small item storage is incredible on a relative basis.

So, since I bought the bag I first selected, why did I post this thread. Well, when I first found the bag, I did not like storing a lens under the camera on the left side of the bag. It did not strike me that I could change this easily without destroying capacity or security. My wife quickly figured out how to do this and I am the winner. No, I am not selling any bag or claiming my selection to be anything more than a good system bsg for field shooting and storage in one bag that appears to be well made and sells for a reasonable price.

Have a great week,
  8. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Glad you got that worked out. In the end, whatever works for you is best. Finding the perfect bag is sometimes harder than finding the perfect camera body. ;)
  9. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

mcclaren f2,

Thanks and how right you are. Bags do not fit gear and gear is not made to fit in bags.

Best regards,