Fun with Olympus, not

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Cpk, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Cpk

Cpk Mu-43 Rookie

May 6, 2014
    Allentown
    Chris Kline
    So I am new to the micro world from P&S and went whole hog (ha) and got a e-pm2. Well in searching posts trying to gain knowledge I came across one concerning a gap in the body of a e-pm2 where there shouldn't be. Humm wonder if mine has that? Well yes it does! So it goes back and I get a exchange, worse gap they prior body and dirty sensor, so that goes back last week. I get a call on Friday from a lady, Darlene, "Mr. Kline where is this gap because I can't see one? They cleaned the senor I am sending the camera back to you, if it still doesn't suit the please send back the whole kit, not just the body." Here are some pics, sensor was NOT cleaned, tell me if I'm making a big deal about this. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Wait I thought this was about a gap, then about a dirty sensor from a vendor you did not specify. Did you get the sensor dirty? Where is this gap? And getting a E-PM2 is not going whole hog, it's the lowest model in the lineup.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cpk

Cpk Mu-43 Rookie

May 6, 2014
    Allentown
    Chris Kline
    Whole hog was a joke, the gap in the body is the second picture between the black back and silver middle left hand side. Wouldn't consider it a big deal? Good, that is why I asked, my daughter has a dance recital in a few days...

4. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    That certainly looks like too much of a gap. Have you tried gently pressing the two sides together to see if it'll snap into place?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cpk

Cpk Mu-43 Rookie

May 6, 2014
    Allentown
    Chris Kline
    Yep, no dice, I am not sure if the have any black e-pm2's at this time to exchange so that might be the issue, not sure

6. dgkli

dgkli New to Mu-43

Apr 2, 2014
    I just looked at mine. There is no noticeable gap at all, unlike your photo.

• Like Like x 1
  7. wilson

wilson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2014
    I checked my white one, and there's no gap... on that side of my camera, but a similar one on the other side near the shutter button. It's about 1mm wide.
    If I squeeze the body, the gap goes away, but when I let go, the gap reappears. Yours looks a bit larger, but not by as much that I would worry about it.

I wouldn't send mine in for such a minor issue since it doesn't seem to affect the operation of the camera.

• Like Like x 2
  8. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    It doesn't affect the operation of the camera until it does.

I would certainly want my brand new, shiny camera to be perfect from the factory. I hope Olympus/the store you bought it from treats you well. :)

9. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Chris, where did you purchase? Was it brand new, or a refurb or something?

10. wilson

wilson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 26, 2014
    How does a slightly misfit rear case (the plastic bezel bit) affect the operation of the camera? I'm not being facetious, I really want to know if there is a potential issue that I'm not aware of.

So for your cameras, did you test the sensor to ensure it was mounted 100% centered on the bayonet lens mount and 100% perpendicular to the axis of a mounted lens?

If these items are "off", they *will* affect photo quality, but the fitting of the rear casing that's about 2mm off on a $500 US MSRP camera that has recently been available for $200... fit and finish should be low on the list of anybody's worries. Remember this isn't a $2000 Leica body, there WILL be some variation between samples.

• Like Like x 1
  11. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    You shouldn't have to pay Leica prices to get good, quality manufacturing on your camera. I tend to agree that this won't manifest itself as an issue, but that is just a guess. If the purchaser is not happy he should return it. I can't imagine the gap in his photo is within Oly's manufacturing tolerances.

• Like Like x 2
  12. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    The first and easiest thing I can think of is its protection against the elements. I know this is NOT a weathersealed body, however, the larger the gaps, the bigger the chance of something - water, dust, sand, etc - getting in there and messing things up.

Obviously, I do not test sensors and lens mounts, but I have returned items for defects similar to what the OP is showing. However, I do test as many lenses, cameras, etc as I can before buying one. I remember once I burned through 3-4 front/back focusing Canon 40 STMs in a shop before finding one that had perfect focus. The retailer wasn't happy, but hey...if your product's not up to par, then too bad for you. They're there for more than just making a profit, they should be dedicated to delivering the best product possible.

Whether it's a $2 or $2,000 camera is inconsequential. His copy of the product is not in line with what the product should be. He paid money the retailer/manufacturer saw as proper compensation for the product, and therefore he should expect to have a product that meets his expectations based on the company's portrayal of the product.

Now, if this was an open box item, where he got a great deal on it because of possible damage or QC oversights, then I would say he got what he paid for. But, if this was a proper product bought from a retailer on the understanding that it is a fully-functional, as-advertised product, he should expect that.

But that's just me...admittedly, I'm extremely picky with my gear and refuse to settle for anything that's not 100% as-expected. And proper body fitment on a brand new camera is a reasonable expectation.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    I think that might be within E-PM2 manufacturing tolerances but I would not tolerate such a gap in my camera. Reduced dust resistance would be my biggest concern in the long run. But then again it is the bottom of the Oly lineup.

• Like Like x 2
  14. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    If it was me, I'd return it and if it happened on a 2nd one, I'd be looking for a different model.

Whether it makes a difference or not to the end image isn't the point. When I spend several hundred or thousand dollars on a body or lens, at the least I expect it to be well assembled and not look like a DIY repair job on a new item.

Sent from my SHV-E300S using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Yup, definitely a big gap in your second photo. Not happy with that. Mine has no gap at all : exchange.

I guess the first photo is to show dust specks visible on the exposed sensor : blow them off. The sensor is self-cleaning up to a point, but keep a lens on it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Definitely send it back. It will tick you off every time you see it and It's important to push back against the manufacturers. They get away with what they can, so we need to exert pressure the other way.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Cpk

Cpk Mu-43 Rookie

May 6, 2014
    Allentown
    Chris Kline
    Thanks, it is the smudge of something in the lower left of sensor that was my concern, I guess my question is it possible to remove that with a q-tip gently (I rewire tonearms in my other life so my hands are pretty steady). I haven't take a picture of the right hand side of the camera but there is a gap on that side too between the same two body parts (black back and silver middle).

18. Cpk

Cpk Mu-43 Rookie

May 6, 2014
    Allentown
    Chris Kline
    Purchased through Olympus, it was a refurb with two lens (should this be acceptable/expected in that case?), the original 14-42 IIR went back because there was some damage to the plastic mounting area and looked like after a few more on and offs that would be it, second one I got looks nearly brand new. At this point on the Oly site they do not have any black e-pm2's for sale, either new or otherwise which maybe why I got a call Friday about it.

This also leaves me in a bit of a quandary when to send it back as my 9 year old has a dance recital this weekend. Rather not be relegated to cell phone photographer but think I should get it back asap.

19. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I just looked and found no gap on my black PM2. I'm not an advocate of people buying a product, trying it, and sending it back (makes prices go up; I actually like 15% restocking fees). However, if a product is not made according to spec, then I'm 100% for sending it back. What you showed me on your PM2 is something I see from ALL electronics I buy from Amazon (I largely stopped using them due to this). And if you send a product with a defect back, which is what I think your camera has, they'll just grab one that came off the assembly line minutes before it and you'll have the same problem. I say send 'er back and buy from another place. The $50 extra you might pay is worth not looking at that gap.

20. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    No, none of your problems are typical. I got a red E-PM2 dual lens kit that was indistinguishable from new.

The gap may appear cosmetic now, but makes me wonder why the cover doesn't fit right. The body was opened and one or more internals may not be installed or seated correctly. What problems will arise after the 90 day warranty expires?

It stinks if you can't get a good replacement but I would take the refund and start shopping. The Buy/Sell forum is great here and many regular members let go of gently used gear.

Lee

• Like Like x 2