fun at f8 with some legacy contax and nikon lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by kevinparis, Nov 17, 2015.

1. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Sometimes it is easy to get caught up with the low light, high ISO game and and forget that if you actually throw some light on a subject, even with old lenses, that the camera you have right now can do wondrous things.

I have just sent the last couple of days playing around with an E-M1, a couple of FlR600's and a Westcott Apollo Orb softbox and a selection of legacy lenses that have been sitting in a drawer for quite a few years

All shots are my ugly visage... and the lenses are probably the contax 50/1.7, 85/1.4 and the nikkor 35/2 and 105/2.5

Actual lens is irrelevant.... though those old things are rather good if you give them the chance....its all about having enough light to shoot f/8 at 200 ISO

Think this is the contax 50/1.7, just one FLR600 in the softbox

[​IMG]PB160009 - Version 2 by kevinparis, on Flickr

I printed this one up to A3 the biggest I can do.. it looks pretty OK to me

Think this is the Nikkor 35/2 again just a strobe in a softbox

[​IMG]PB160012 by kevinparis, on Flickr

and this is the Nikkor 105/2.5

[​IMG]PB160005 by kevinparis, on Flickr

this is shot with the same wall behind me...difference is this time I fired a second flash against it to wash it out to white. I think this is the Contax 85/1.4

[​IMG]PB170017 by kevinparis, on Flickr

lost track of what lens I was using here... but I did throw some red tissue paper over the flash lighting the back wall

[​IMG]PB170033 by kevinparis, on Flickr

My take away is that you can get some very nice results if you apply some light and some basic smarts to the problem

comments and crits always welcome

• Like Like x 8
  2. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Great shots Kevin. Those lenses though don't need f8 or plenty of light to impress. 3 of them are legends and will perform superbly near or at wide open. I'm sure you know this, its just that your posts sorta gives the impression that old lenses needs f8 to be useful when thats far from the truth :D
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium

thanks for the kind words.

Agree that these are premium lenses of their era... When I was on my legacy lens buying spree 6 or 7 years ago, I had the funds and the patience to acquire many of the classics, and indeed many of them are very good wide open, though their true qualities still shine out more when used on a FF sensor....

However, it still somewhat amazes me how good the whole 4/3 platform, or indeed any camera for that matter can perform if you don't go down the high ISO/fast lens wide open route.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Impressively done.
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1