Full specs for EM10 Mk. II published

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Holoholo55, Aug 24, 2015.

1. VanCityShooter

VanCityShooter New to Mu-43

Aug 25, 2015
  2. pinoyborian

pinoyborian Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 3, 2012
    Peterborough UK
    Jerry Sisican
  3. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Looks nice for someone switching from a P&S, but it's not an incremental upgrade. I don't see why someone would buy a Mk2 if they have a Mk1. Better EVF, 5axis, slightly better video capabilities (and not by much). From what i hear, 3axis IBIS is much better than the 2 axis, with some people saying they can't even tell the difference.

Good thing - use of touchscreen focusing option while using the EVF. Great stuff...

Getolympus site - aweful, aweful case of misleading information. 4k timelapse video? Many people will be confused and think it has real 4k video. And behind the official commerical (product overview video) is a poster for a different camera (TG2, i presume) that says "waterproof, freezeproof, shockproof".

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  4. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I like the slight body redesign, some items are just that bit "chunkier".

Hang on ... does that new pop-up flash tilt back for bounce?

5. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    Looks a nice design but pricing will be key to its success. There's bound to be great deals on the original though. :)

6. proximal

proximal Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2011
    So it has the electronic shutter as everyone expected and 5-axis which is a surprise. Pretty much right in line with what I'd expect from a "Mk2" camera. Nice that the US kit has the EZ lens now.

If you have already bought into the system with a Mk1, Olympus would prefer that you got the E-M5 Mk2.

Robin Wong mentions in his writeup that the electronic shutter goes up to 1/16,000 if that's any consolation.

7. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    Yes, I've just seen that buried in the specs of the product release...it wasn't mentioned in the two hands-on pieces I read so assumed it wasn't there!

8. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    So other than the flip vs tilt screen, weather sealing, and audio input, why would one want to buy the em-5 II over the em-10 II?

I just got the E-M5II, but I think I prefer the smaller E-M10 II with the tilt screen...

9. VooDoo64

VooDoo64 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Davor Vojvoda
    because of Hi-Res mode and bigger ( size ) vf

10. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

I should hope that Touch AF will come as a firmware upgrade to the E-M5 MkII and perhaps the E-M1 (given that there's no E-M1 MkII in the near horizon).

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. VooDoo64

VooDoo64 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Davor Vojvoda
    me
    me too, it would be useful for bird in flight when AF dont know what we want ;) and I am sure is softwere thing

and E-M1 will get it sure because flagship gets all that is softwere solvable

12. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Yep, that's probably the one for me to get if the E-P5 breaks down (the all black one).

13. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I also have the E-M5 Mk.II and key features that are worth the extra $300 for me are:

- Hi-res mode
    - Weather sealing
    - Larger magnification EVF (0.74x vs 0.62x)
    - More Fn buttons
    - Faster native shutter speed (1/8000s vs 1/4000s)
    - Bundled FL-LM3 flash that swivels and bounces
    - 5EV IBIS vs 4EV IBIS effectiveness

If the above features don't matter much to someone, then the E-M10 Mk.II would be the better value.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    What can they do with it really, until they raise the bar a lot with the e-m1 mk2. The 10 has to remain the entry-level OM-D. There just isn't much room for upgrades now.

It's a nice, evolutionary upgrade.

16. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013

Just to add to that list the video codec/compression and optionsare much better (although I wish they would upgrade All I to 60fps instead of just 30 and 24). I came from a Pany G3 and I am really impressed with the improvements with Olympus' video.
    Using the 5axis in video mode is just plane magic!

17. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    I think that the video on e-m5 II and E-M10 II are the same. Saying that I am very happy with the video on the E-M5 II compared to the older Olympus cameras.

I hope Olympus continues improving the video to get closer to Panasonic or Sony levels.

I need to shoot some more with the E-M5 II as I primarily use my lx100 as my 'going out' or travel camera.

18. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I think you are right. I think they are lacking the audio in/out features of the Em5 II. The quality of the video is good enough for my needs. I use Magic Bullet or grade my film in LR 6 and the end result is amazing.
    I am amazed what this camera is capable of and for the price!

19. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I like it...I've always been a fan of the E-M10, and this new one only makes me a bigger fan. I have suggested to many friends to get the 10 over the 1 or the 5 (even though I own the E-M5, and I'm very happy with it). For someone who wants 99% of an E-M1 or E-M5 and save a significant bundle of money, I think the E-M10 is an excellent choice.

I wish my E-M5 did time lapse!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.