1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Full specs for EM10 Mk. II published

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Holoholo55, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    Walter
  2. VanCityShooter

VanCityShooter New to Mu-43

Aug 25, 2015
  3. pinoyborian

pinoyborian Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 3, 2012
    Peterborough UK
    Jerry Sisican
  4. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Looks nice for someone switching from a P&S, but it's not an incremental upgrade. I don't see why someone would buy a Mk2 if they have a Mk1. Better EVF, 5axis, slightly better video capabilities (and not by much). From what i hear, 3axis IBIS is much better than the 2 axis, with some people saying they can't even tell the difference.

Good thing - use of touchscreen focusing option while using the EVF. Great stuff...

Getolympus site - aweful, aweful case of misleading information. 4k timelapse video? Many people will be confused and think it has real 4k video. And behind the official commerical (product overview video) is a poster for a different camera (TG2, i presume) that says "waterproof, freezeproof, shockproof".

Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
  5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I like the slight body redesign, some items are just that bit "chunkier".

Hang on ... does that new pop-up flash tilt back for bounce?

6. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    Looks a nice design but pricing will be key to its success. There's bound to be great deals on the original though. :)

7. proximal

proximal Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2011
    So it has the electronic shutter as everyone expected and 5-axis which is a surprise. Pretty much right in line with what I'd expect from a "Mk2" camera. Nice that the US kit has the EZ lens now.

If you have already bought into the system with a Mk1, Olympus would prefer that you got the E-M5 Mk2.

Robin Wong mentions in his writeup that the electronic shutter goes up to 1/16,000 if that's any consolation.

8. sdb123

sdb123 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 25, 2014
    Northants, UK
    Steve
    Yes, I've just seen that buried in the specs of the product release...it wasn't mentioned in the two hands-on pieces I read so assumed it wasn't there!

9. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    So other than the flip vs tilt screen, weather sealing, and audio input, why would one want to buy the em-5 II over the em-10 II?

I just got the E-M5II, but I think I prefer the smaller E-M10 II with the tilt screen...

10. VooDoo64

VooDoo64 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Davor Vojvoda
    because of Hi-Res mode and bigger ( size ) vf

11. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I should hope that Touch AF will come as a firmware upgrade to the E-M5 MkII and perhaps the E-M1 (given that there's no E-M1 MkII in the near horizon).

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. VooDoo64

VooDoo64 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Davor Vojvoda
    me
    me too, it would be useful for bird in flight when AF dont know what we want ;) and I am sure is softwere thing

and E-M1 will get it sure because flagship gets all that is softwere solvable

13. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Yep, that's probably the one for me to get if the E-P5 breaks down (the all black one).

14. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    I also have the E-M5 Mk.II and key features that are worth the extra $300 for me are:

- Hi-res mode
    - Weather sealing
    - Larger magnification EVF (0.74x vs 0.62x)
    - More Fn buttons
    - Faster native shutter speed (1/8000s vs 1/4000s)
    - Bundled FL-LM3 flash that swivels and bounces
    - 5EV IBIS vs 4EV IBIS effectiveness

If the above features don't matter much to someone, then the E-M10 Mk.II would be the better value.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    What can they do with it really, until they raise the bar a lot with the e-m1 mk2. The 10 has to remain the entry-level OM-D. There just isn't much room for upgrades now.

It's a nice, evolutionary upgrade.

17. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013

Just to add to that list the video codec/compression and optionsare much better (although I wish they would upgrade All I to 60fps instead of just 30 and 24). I came from a Pany G3 and I am really impressed with the improvements with Olympus' video.
    Using the 5axis in video mode is just plane magic!

18. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    I think that the video on e-m5 II and E-M10 II are the same. Saying that I am very happy with the video on the E-M5 II compared to the older Olympus cameras.

I hope Olympus continues improving the video to get closer to Panasonic or Sony levels.

I need to shoot some more with the E-M5 II as I primarily use my lx100 as my 'going out' or travel camera.

19. JDK504

JDK504 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 28, 2013
    I think you are right. I think they are lacking the audio in/out features of the Em5 II. The quality of the video is good enough for my needs. I use Magic Bullet or grade my film in LR 6 and the end result is amazing.
    I am amazed what this camera is capable of and for the price!

20. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I like it...I've always been a fan of the E-M10, and this new one only makes me a bigger fan. I have suggested to many friends to get the 10 over the 1 or the 5 (even though I own the E-M5, and I'm very happy with it). For someone who wants 99% of an E-M1 or E-M5 and save a significant bundle of money, I think the E-M10 is an excellent choice.

I wish my E-M5 did time lapse!