Full review of the Voigtländer Nokton 42.5mm f/0.95

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Jman, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    • Like Like x 6
  2. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Thanks! Your impressions are very similar to my own, and I definitely agree about how surprising the weight was! I rented the lens concurrently with the 75mm f1.8, which is almost identical in volume, but weighs about half as much. I don't personally mind; in fact, I like it, but it sure did surprise me!

Also agree with you about the rending wide open at portrait distances. It's a nice change of pace from the technically "better" rendition of lenses like the 75mm (a lens which I absolutely love). It's kind of like using a legacy lens, but faster and sharper. I also appreciate that you talk about the subjectivity of bokeh rather than immediately dismissing it as "bad" for being non-cicular like some reviewers. Some people hate it, others love it!(me)

3. Faceinthecrowd

Faceinthecrowd Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Nice lens review. As you say the Leica might be a more practical purchase when it appears.
    Do voigtlander have any other focal lengths planned? 12mm?

4. Xing

Xing New to Mu-43

Sep 16, 2013
    Jordan, very nice review, by far the most informative one yet, and I've read them all.

I see you also understand the 17.5mm well. I use the 17.5 mm a lot, wide open and focused between 2 to 3m. I consider it very good in this range. With the 42.5mm, I will likely use it between 5-6m. At that focus distance, how would you rate the 42.5mm against the 17.5mm?

5. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Very nice informative review! I've always wanted one of the CV Noktons, this looks like another beautiful lens. However, just like the 25mm, I'm afraid my money will go to Panasonic.

6. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    Well done. I transferred my budget from the GH3 to this lens a few months ago. I also enjoyed your 17.5mm review.

I own both the CV 17.5 and 25 and I look forward to adding this to my battery.

7. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Thanks for the review!

It would be interesting to compare this lens with a Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 Speedbooster combo. Roughly the same price too.

8. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    Nice review...I appreciate the effort and details you put in your reviews.

9. sonicxpx

sonicxpx Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2013
    HCMC, Vietnam
    Linh Vo
    Very nice review, I always follow your reviews :)

10. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks everyone!

11. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Excellent work!