1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Full Res Olympus 15mm f/8 Body Cap Lens Sample Images by Peter Norman on Flickr

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    • Like Like x 17
  2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The quality of the photography is excellent. I'm less sure about the quality of the lens. At f/8, there's enough DoF, but I'm having a hard time finding images where more than the central 2/3 of the frame is sharp.

DH

3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There is a focus lever on the lens. Perhaps he had it set for short rather than infinity? What is in focus looks pretty sharp however and it rendered nice colors. I also don't see much distortion even though it is a wide. The lens is definitely not a "toy".

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Edge sharpness is not good compared to most lenses including kit zooms. On the other hand, it's the thickness of a body cap with a built in lens cover, has manual zone focus controls, costs $50, and has good central sharpness.

My primary use would be street photography where edge sharpness is unimportant to me. A bit of peripheral softness might even contribute to a result in some cases.

5. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    Considering the low cost and the fact you get a body cap/lens in one package it's not bad ... but I'd say the 14-42mm II R kit lens is much better at 15mm and f8 than this (even if it is a physically larger lens).

Nice compositions ... but those samples reveal the optical shortcomings of this body cap lens.

6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The edges look sharp to me. Granted not as sharp as the center but all lenses will be some softer at the edges. For $50 you can't go wrong with this lens!

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    For sure. This lens seems to be about two things: size and simplicity (zone focusing with a lever). It's more about the process/experience than it is about the results.

• Like Like x 1
  8. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    KUDO'S TO OLYMPUS :2thumbs: for making a real interesting lens out to market that performs very well for what it is. Don't see why anyone with a u43s cam wouldn't want one simply as a lens cap and nice solution to play around with.

Here in lies the issue with Online reviewers. For what it is, it's a perfect lens. Sub $100. Excellent sharpness. Lens cap with a couple of fix focus points. Outstanding concept and real winner for Olympus in my opinion. Fun (non toy) lens that could easily be in everyones bag.

Is it perfect with edge to edge sharpness like the 75mm/1.8.. no. Should it be.. NO! :rofl: Colors and rendering look bang on, amazing sharpness for sub-100 dollar lens cap. Definitely will be interesting to see it up against in a direct comparison to the 14mm pana, 17mm olympus and 14-42 IIr at 15mm kit at F8.

• Like Like x 3
  9. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    IMO if one thinks about this lens in a comparative way will be disappointed for sure. It's not about clinical sharpness, it's about the way it's designed to be used. I'm getting it, but obviously not expecting it to replace the 14mm. It' not about the destination, it's about having fun until get there. ;-)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9000 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 4
  10. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    It's frickin $50, what do you want guys!??! =)

• Like Like x 7
  11. cdecurtis

cdecurtis Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2012
    Marietta, Georgia, USA
    Charles
    I have yet to see a "sharp" edge to edge pinhole camera image. This is a great buy...really, a steal.

12. ryanlogic

ryanlogic Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2012
    Antakya, Turkey
    Considering people spend more than that on metal Olympus lens hoods, it seems like a fun toy. It would make sense for someone who regularly carries two bodies to have one as a body cap. if this sells well, maybe Olympus will come out with a fisheye body cap....now that would be fun.

I'll probably throw it in my next major order...but I only have one body so it probably won't get much use until I buy another..

Maybe it will inspire some other lens manufacturers to make more cool and affordable stuff.

13. bcphoto

bcphoto Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 25, 2012
    Indiana
    Bruce Conner
    Chromatic aberrations

Lens has serious chromatic aberration -- look at the full file.

Maybe it would be good for black and white.

BC

14. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    It appears all of these photos were taken in heavy overcast - I'm curious to see how well it performs in full sun. Higher shutter speed may help improve sharpness a bit. :cool:

15. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    So it's not the sharpest, and it may suffer some CA...what do you expect for $50 retail? If you want corner to corner sharp, and no CA, and expect a perfect lense then I think you should be putting out a lot more than $50. Judge it for what it is, instead of expecting the moon for next to nothing. This is not a pro lense, so why treat it like it should be?!?

• Like Like x 2
  16. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I think I might replace my body cap :D

• Like Like x 1
  17. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    Find this performance perfectly acceptable, and great for what it is. I mean, It's clearly intended to be a street lens in a very traditional sense, and for that I don't think most people care much about corner sharpness or making huge prents.

Actually, I'm quite liking the colors I've seen from this body cap lens, also in Ming Thien's photos. Perhaps it's just the processing technices of these two people, but despite being less sharp than a good kit lens stopped down so far... The images still look better to me. It's strange. Perhaps the microcontrast is good despite not amazing sharpness?

• Like Like x 1
  18. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I think Olympus should throw this lens in with the E-PL5 and charge the same price as the body-only option!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Lili

Lili Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 24, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    i really like the draw of this lens
    color and even the center sharp, edges not thing
    dreamy!
    My beloved E-PL2 would be far more pocketable with this!

20. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I really want to try this lens out. This could make an awesome daytime LA Farmer's Market lens! I want to see street samples with this lens.