1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Full OM-D E-M10 review at Reviewed.com Cameras

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bnys, Jan 29, 2014.

1. bnys

bnys Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2014
    Hi everyone!

My name is Brendan. I'm a camera reviewer for Reviewed.com Cameras. In the past year, I've reviewed every new Olympus M43 camera but one (the E-P5). We were given a big head start by Olympus this time, who gave us a review copy OM-D E-M10 at CES this year. We put the camera through its paces and found that it performed very well in our labs and in the field. As far as I can tell, we were the only camera website to do a full review before the press embargo lifted.

http://cameras.reviewed.com/content/olympus-om-d-e-m10-digital-camera-review

I have the camera and the 25mm f/1.8 and the 14-42mm EZ. If you're thinking about picking up the 25mm, just do it. It's a peach of a lens. We also got the Panaleica Nocticron before anyone and I might have been the first person on the planet to mount it on the brand new E-M10. :biggrin:

If anyone has any questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

Thanks!
    -brendan

• Like Like x 6
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Appreciate your enthusiasm. Interesting review, thanks.

3. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Hi Brendan! Thank you for your nice review.

I have just two questions.

1) Did Olympus really tell you that they're bringing focus peaking to the E-M5?

2) Does the 3-axis IBIS in the E-M10 stabilize the live view?

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nice introductory review. However the written review was basically a transcript of the video dialog, thus somewhat redundant.

I don't understand why people say Olympus' menu is so bad. Granted it isn't the best but I don't have any trouble with it.

5. bnys

bnys Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2014
    Hi strat,
    1) Yes, we were told by Olympus that the E-M5 is getting peaking. It hasn't been announced yet. Someone started a separate thread here where I clarified a bit: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=59317

2) Yes, as long as you depress the shutter button halfway, the image is stabilized in live view. The 3-axis system is much more closely related to the 5-axis than the 2-axis.

-b

6. bnys

bnys Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2014
    Hi Speedandstyle,
    We based the video review on my written review so that you can get the gist of the review quickly. We're owned by USA Today so our video reviews are often stripped down versions of our longer written reviews intended for that website's audience.

In my review, I give a more nuanced description of the Olympus menu system. It's mostly a concern for users who are coming from a smartphone or a simpler p&s camera rather than us enthusiasts. In my own experience, the first two Oly cameras I reviewed, I had to Google how to turn on the darn SCP both times. I've heard of people who work for Olympus that would struggle to find it if you asked them. Options are labeled and arranged in a way that the average user can't easily decipher right off the bat—and they might not know to hit the Info button for clarification.

Once you get used to the Olympus menus, it's easy to get around and you learn just how much stuff there is to tinker with. It's staggering when you really sink your teeth into it. But getting to that point can be challenging for less technically inclined, less adventurous people that probably look at that long list of stuff in the Custom Menu and cower in fear.

I know I don't want Micro Four Thirds to go away any time soon, so user friendliness needs to be a top priority for both Oly and Panasonic in order to lure in a more diverse crowd of photographers.

-b

7. jpig

jpig Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2011
    Does the sensor in the E-M10 "float" like on the cameras with 5 axis IBIS? And does the 3 axis IBIS make the same humming noise as the 5 axis?

8. bnys

bnys Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2014
    Yes. It makes a humming/whirring sound like the E-M1 and E-M5.

9. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Thanks for everything!

I know that I (and a lot of people) are interested in the 25 compared to the Panasonic 20. I still really like this lens but am considering the new 25 down the road as a swap.

10. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Questions:

1. I know you mention that video is not a forte of the Olympus cameras, however, does the E-M10 offer manual control over aperture, shutter speed and ISO in its video mode?

2. Does the E-M10 offer eye detect priority face detection like the other more recent Olympus cameras?

3. I know that some of the Olympus cameras that were specd using the BLS-5 battery were also able to use the older BLS-1 battery. Is the E-M10 similar in this regard in that it can use both types of batteries?

11. bnys

bnys Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2014
    1. There's still manual control and there's PASM shooting and everything else you mentioned. However, the top frame rate available is still only 1080/30p. There isn't even a native 24p mode or higher bit rate options. For serious video shooters, the lack of a mic jack (no, SEMA-1 doesn't count for these people) and headphone jack are both dealbreakers. Additionally, the software Olympus is using to downsample from the sensor to HD just doesn't make for great video. You lose some detail and motion doesn't look smooth all the time.

But, as I allude to in my review, if you're serious about video and are shopping for an M43 camera, you're going to be happiest with a GH3 or at the very least a G6. Olympus doesn't have the video expertise that Panasonic has from the professional/broadcast side of things. I have no doubt that the video quality will improve over time, but Olympus knows their audience and their audience isn't using their products for heavy-duty video shooting.

2. Yes, there is face and eye detection like in all of last year's Olympus cameras. Even the E-PM2 has it, so I'd say you can expect it to be a standard feature from here on out. Like we've seen on the other Olympus bodies, there's a setting for automatic detection (whichever eye is closest) or left/right eye bias. It works shockingly well if you haven't tried it.

3. Seeing how the battery is the same, I'd bet on it supporting those older batteries. We don't have any older Olympus batteries lying around so you'll probably have to wait until the E-M10 starts shipping to loyal Olympus users to find out for certain.

-b

• Like Like x 1
  12. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    DPReview's preview said the IBIS on the E-M10 is good for 3.5 stops while the E-M5's is ~4 stops. Does that match your experiences with the cameras? Thanks

13. D4rK89

D4rK89 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 25, 2013
    Poland
    Mateusz
    Are You able to compare Leica 25mm 1.4 vs Oly 25mm 1.8 ?

14. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 21, 2012
    Mississippi, USA
    Are you sure the 3 axes are pitch, yaw, and roll? Wouldn't horizontal and vertical shift make much more sense than pitch and yaw?

15. bnys

bnys Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2014
    I was going off of Olympus's own spec sheets for the E-M10 and E-M5 to compare so it should be correct.

16. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    According to a chart on the Olympus Japan website, the EM10 is not compatible with the older BLS-1 battery. Some of the Pens are compatible with both. Now what this means as far as whether it will fit and whether the camera will "see" the battery properly is anybody's guess.

• Like Like x 1
  17. bnys

bnys Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 29, 2014
    We don't have a standardized IS test finalized quite yet, so I can't answer in absolute certainty. But, I'd say that the 3-axis system is really close in performance. Just based on my three weeks of shooting, and as I concluded in my review, in all but the most extreme cases, you're unlikely to notice the difference.

18. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Hi Brendan,

It's fantastic to have someone on the forum who has the new E-M10 to play with and I am getting this one probably in the summer or fall with the accompanied pancake zoom lens as a kit and a complement to my existing E-PL1 system. I figure that it's only $100 more. So.. I would like to ask you a few questions on the E-M10.

1, Metering.. I heard some talk from the Thom Hogan site that he claimed the new E-M10 ESP metering is designed to overly protect the highlights by default. Do you find it to be true in your test with your sample? Mr. Hogan said that this feature can not altered or shut off. This may conflict with my own personal ETTR way.

2, Custom altered independent global bias metering.. Is there a way on the E-M10 to set each metering setting (ESP, Centerweighted and Spot) to overexpose or underexpose that will overide all PASM modes? Like if I want +0.7 centerweight metering and a -0.3 High Key spot metering, can I set that individually on the E-M10?
    Currently these are the limitation on my E-PL1.

3, Does the E-M10 still retain both High Key and Low Key spot metering like that found on the E-PL1?

4, Can ISO float (Auto ISO) be set to a specific shutter speed to activate it and float across a predefined ISO base range?

5, What are your thoughts and feeling on the pancake 14-42 EZ zoom lens? I like the pancake version and it seemed to have added 1 S-HR element (aspheric?!?). From the samples I've seen on the Olympus site, it seemed to be quite sharp and has some pop to it! I'm a fan of the original 14-42 and is quite decently sharp. I really like to replace it with this new pancake zoom if it's better than my original 14-42 which earned quiet high marks from Photozone.de website.

6, What are your thoughts on the 3-axis IBIS when used with a monopod since it's lacking the V-shift and the H-shift axis. I find that I can get away with 1 stop on my E-PL1 with my monopod. How does the E-M10 fare on this? I tested it on my 40-150 IIR Oly telephoto lens @ 150mm f/5.6.

That's all I can think of.

Thank very much for your thoughts in advance..

19. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Thanks. My question is: how does it perform with 4/3 lenses? Is it better, worse or same as M5? I'm not talking about sports shooting where fast AF is needed. Is it decent with still or slow moving subjects?

Thanks.

20. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Brendan,

It's me again. Can I get your thoughts on the 9mm Fisheye pancake please? For the price, I will get it along with my E-M10. Been always wanted to try out a UWA fisheye, and this seems to be a cheap entry to that and I have software to defish.

Thanks again!