1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Full Frame Vs M43 in Real World Comparisons

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by nightvision, Feb 24, 2012.

1. nightvision

nightvision New to Mu-43

Feb 24, 2012
    Hi, my name is Artis. I am a working nightclub photographer. I recently did a short write-up comparing the M43 system with a very popular full frame camera.

the write-up can be found here.

Nightvision | Full Frame VS. Micro 4/3 in the Nightclub

I was hoping that we could get some other real world comparisons in different situations and perhaps compile them here. I am a new member to this forum, but have been scouring for months and haven't seen a thread for this. If it already exists, please shoot me a link and I apologize. Thanks!

-Artis

• Like Like x 6
  2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I think I can tell the difference, but it has more to do with the look of the flash than anything else. With a diffused flash on the 5D, it would be much harder to tell. It goes back to the argument I've made repeatedly. It doesn't matter if one camera is "better" than another. I only matters if a camera is "good enough" for the desired use. In this case, it clearly is. And a GX-1 (or GH2 or OMD) would be even more "good enough" since the new sensors are demonstrably better at high ISO.

But I'm sure the pixel peepers will be out in force to argue the test isn't valid for various reasons.

Now then, I have a few questions: how does one become a nightclub photographer? How do you get paid for the work, and how do the subjects purchase the photographs (or is your customer the nightclub itself?). Finally, how often do you get to go home with the subjects of your work. :biggrin:

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Good writeup, Artis.

I notice that the one area that you struggled with in comparison with your 5DII was luminance noise at higher ISOs. I will point out that although a very lovely camera, the GF-1 is horrid for noise in comparison to a newer PEN with weak AA Filter and "Fine Detail Processing" or a newer Panasonic with 16MP sensor.

When you get your pre-ordered OM-D, it will have BOTH of these, the high resolution sensor as well as Olympus' fine detail processing. The combination of those two should produce some fantastic images and (what little samples are out already also back this up) high ISO performance is markedly improved.

In fact, I haven't had any issues with Luma or Chroma noise since the E-5 era (including E-PL2 and newer PENs), which was a problem I used to have constantly with Olympus bodies of the same age or older as your GF-1. Nightclub photography could be a pain with those old Four-Thirds cameras, and I do have to do a lot of that kind of photography as I shoot a lot for the entertainment industry. Just like you describe with your GF-1, ISO1600 shots from the E-3 were littered with luma noise (and lots of blue streaks). That's all a thing of the past now. :)

I'm glad you're already happy with your switch, but you have a lot more to look forward to. :biggrin:

4. nightvision

nightvision New to Mu-43

Feb 24, 2012
    I actually started doing the nightclub gigs to help promote a friend of mine who is a DJ. We generally get hired by liquor reps, nightclubs and occasionally DJ's. I have had more than my share of "interesting" offers, but I have an awesome girlfriend so I just take it as a compliment (mostly due to the camera) :)

5. nightvision

nightvision New to Mu-43

Feb 24, 2012
    Ned, thank you for your response. I actually wanted to use the GF-1 as my test dummy because it was cheap to get my hands on one and you can only get better from there. I quickly found out why people love their little panny's and oly's. I am going to do one more comparison using the GF1 for a glamour shoot and see how it does there.
    Do you have any links that you could share? I guess more than anything, I would like to bust some of the myths that are out their about the usefulness (or lack there of) of the M43 systems for "pro" work.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    My website has a small selection of samples at Cyclops Photo Studio but my Flickr stream includes all my casual shooting and is more diverse: Flickr: Ned Yeung's Photostream
    The majority of my photographs go straight to client and I don't post much on the web.

Here's a few club-related photos from my photostream... If you want to see my more "professional" type of work though, then I think my website is probably a better source...

6845282239_7a1e41c0ab.
    fashion_show_makeup_web.jpg by Ned Yeung, on Flickr
    6317096577_55446454e1.
    Mr. World Canada and Miss New Zealand by Ned Yeung, on Flickr
    6720516723_1173b45b69.
    NRIMTM Christmas Party by Ned Yeung, on Flickr
    4082717465_6e39f0c3b6.
    mitch by Ned Yeung, on Flickr
    4239704650_aea8c771c5.
    victor2_web by Ned Yeung, on Flickr
    4103900301_a28fd62ba6.
    4130724187_2f7d9c8b7a.
    oilers5_web by Ned Yeung, on Flickr

7. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Hmm, I think I like Ned's Nuveau Riche gig even better. Young, lovely and rich. What more could you want (;-)}

8. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Great article and great photos! Having gone to a fair number of clubbing events in my day, I imagine being a club photog is pretty fun (except the staying up late into the night portion)!

Using flash equalizes the playing field a bit, as noise becomes less of an issue.

Definitely in the case of nightclub shooting, having a more discrete and lighter setup is quite useful. It can get crowded and crazy in a club and walking around with a huge FF camera can be a bit unwieldy. The only downside is being less recognizable as an official club photographer - but I guess a badge can fix that.

9. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Well done my friend . There is no need for argument FF vs MFT .Its all about final product which involves lens and photographer as well . U have proved that a capable photographer will never blame his tools. We all know that MFT will have some shortcomings as compared to FF or APS-C sized DSLRs but its upto u how u looke at them . My suggestion will be to go for PL25 mm 1.4 lens and then re do the comparasion when u get ur Olympus OM-D and I can tell u It will further reduce the use of ur DSLR.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Here are some "real world" shots--click on them to enlarge. Both ISO 1600. If you notice a difference, the one you think is better is not m4/3. Of course, I am not sure what web images prove in the difference between formats.

Attached Files:

11. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yet one more reason why I am switching. I love my FF and APS but they are big and heavy. For what I do with my pics I don't need the little bit of an advantage that FF/APS brings so I am switching.

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    So the one on the right is full frame, then?

13. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    As a socialite who just trekked home in her high-heels after too many redbull vodkas, any one of those shots will do.

14. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    You are good. No, I really mean it.

15. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I imagine it is difficult to distinguish among the three of them...

16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Well, I can tell a pretty clear difference but I don't think most of those differences are related to the format but rather how they were shot and maybe the lens used. The one on the left is too cool and is too high-key for a night shot whereas the one on the right is warmer and has better exposure with deeper shadows.

17. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    True, not all the difference is directly related to the format--two different companies with two different ideas about color and how the camera systems deal with exposure and WB are different--interestingly, the m4/3 is reading it off the sensor, the other camera uses a CCD. The one on the right has very accurate color and much higher DR to capture the tones in the scene--if I could post the entire image, you would not think the scene high key. I did not shoot these images as a comparison, but I think it is a valid comparison for formats. Clearly format matters. But likewise it is an unfair comparison like comparing a Smart car with a Porsche, both are two-seaters, but the comparison stops there. The interesting thing is you can see the difference in a 0.7MP web image.

Still, while I like my E-P1, I will not give up my Pentax 645D anytime soon.

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Was that first image shot with the E-P1? I think that explains what I'm seeing... the E-P1 images do wash out and go too blue (usually streaky as well) at ISO1600. Old Olympus bodies up until the E-5 all did that. ISO1600 was an emergency value back in those days. :) Basically, if you shot at ISO1600 it was with the intention of just capturing what you can and hopefully making a usable web image out of it through post-production.

Both Olympus and Panasonic have come a long ways since then, which is why I had to point that out about the OP's GF-1. Nowadays you can shoot ISO1600 with any new Micro Four-Thirds camera and hand off a JPG straight out of the camera for low-res publication like in a newspaper or something. Of course it takes more than that for a glossy, high-res magazine print, but on any format if you're shooting ISO1600 for a magazine spread then you're probably doing something wrong.

19. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Ned, Pentax 645D with D FA 55mm on the left, E-P1 with 20mm on the right. The color is very accurate in the Pentax image.

20. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Really? I actually like the image on the right a lot better, lol. :) Of course, accuracy and beauty can be two different things. I don't know what the actual scene looked like to your eyes, but colors in the photo to the right are richer... which is what I like.