'Full Frame Sensor NEX-7-Styled Body In 1 Year'

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
I don't really see the point of FF mirrorless. Sure it will be fun adapting MF glass, but it still won't be able to compete with the complete lens systems of Nikon/Canon. I don't want to even imagine how big and ridiculous zoom lenses will look on such a camera.

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
Sony seems to really be hitting the nail on the head with what they have been coming up with the past few years while Nikon and Canon are swinging at air with anything but DSLR.

Agreed 100%

I don't see it as a competitor to the APS-C NEXs, Fujis or m4/3, though, because the system is going to need to be a good deal larger. More like a threat to the big DSLRs, I think, once they have the on-sensor PDAF rocking.

*If* it's released & not much larger than the RX1, it will definitely peak my interest.

Where's the lenses? Why doesn't Sony flesh out the system they currently have.

Yep - that's the major weakness...

zapatista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Barber
Ok, so let me state the obvious: Sony did not invest in Olympus cuz they're really nice folks. I'm sure (well I assume) there will be cross-development or shared resources beyond the much more profitable life science/medical/industrial optics divisions.

Real Name
Nic
But what would the attraction of a NEX-9 be over an A99 or similar if you're going to use it with a 70-200/2.8 or an 85/1.4 or whatnot? For a NEX-9 to be successful, I think it will need its own stable of small(er) lenses to distinguish itself from existing full-frame lineups.

Doesn't that already happen? If you want fast telephotos on large sensors in a small package you're all out of luck I'm afraid. Just like any other mirrorless camera that currently exists it will be the wide and standard focal lengths where this would be a more compact package.

BTW, with Sony my concern would be with them making the body too small. Witness the entire NEX 3 and 5 series cameras.

battleaxe

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It does, specially when you pair something like the 100-300mm on something like the GF3 or E-PM2. But, I think comparatively something the size of an RX1 with say something like a 200-600mm lens, or even a 100-300mm lens would be even more unbalanced, and less compact.

kinlau

Mu-43 All-Pro
Someone very high up in Sony is definitely a classic photography geek. A FF mirrorless would be the first true challenge to the M9 and M10. I would buy it even if there were _no_ native lenses available, I have plenty of very good MF glass including Leica and Zeiss.

RDM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Someone very high up in Sony is definitely a classic photography geek. A FF mirrorless would be the first true challenge to the M9 and M10. I would buy it even if there were _no_ native lenses available, I have plenty of very good MF glass including Leica and Zeiss.

WE are all assuming that it will have a short distance from sensor to flange mount (I do not think they will use the E-mount) and not be a mirrrorless design similar to what Pentax has done, just with an EVF. I heard some things suggesting that might be the case tho; so just a smaller and much lighter FF mirrorless alpha body would be made.
But I certainly hope it is not the case.. I would really like to use my legasy Minolta MD and canon FD lenses on a FF digital.

zapatista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Barber
I've shot about 90 frames today with an RX1...it's really nice, though I don't have much of 135 format background beyond using adapted lenses. The hype seems to be worthy of the product...even with a 12 hour layover in MIA.

With_Eyes_Unclouded

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Vassilios
Speculation will go on and on during the whole next year, I guess...

Size-wise, the assumption of a short flange distance is a safe one, IMHO.

Also bear in mind that said camera will most certainly have in body stabilization.

So... short flange distance, plus no need for lens stabilization mechanism --> smaller lenses. Certainly not NEX (APS-C) "small", but still (one can argue) a far cry from common FF DSLR lenses.

Now if Olympus gets in the game with a new Zuiko line, perhaps we have a lot of good things to expect from such a camera. But it will be quite heftier than current NEX even if it doesn't "need" to. Why I think this would be the case? Simply because I believe Sony will consider this camera as the first in their new line of Pro cameras. It HAS to be physically larger to accomodate extra controls while probably retaining the NEX general format.

As I said, speculation will run wild for about a year, so let us all stay tuned. :biggrin:

EasyEd

Mu-43 Regular
Hey All,

I'm betting Fuji goes down this road. There has been at least one rumour and look at what they have done with the X10, X100, XPro and XE1. I think Fuji is really committed to the idea of rangefinder style with the right mix of old and new. I'm going Fuji and this is a part of the reason.

-Ed-

With_Eyes_Unclouded

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Vassilios
Why do say this when traditionally, Sony has put stabilization in their lenses :confused:

My assumption (which could be completely wrong) is they are going to go the Alpha way and provide in body IS. Especially if they are going to cooperate with Olympus for lenses; they might even use a form of the 5-axis IBIS.

Latest threads

Top Bottom