'Full Frame Sensor NEX-7-Styled Body In 1 Year'

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RT_Panther, Dec 21, 2012.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    • Like Like x 3
  2. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Sony seems to really be hitting the nail on the head with what they have been coming up with the past few years while Nikon and Canon are swinging at air with anything but DSLR.
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    A FF NEX-9 could definitely capture the high end of the market, if reasonable lens solutions are available. Maybe even replace the M9 in some bags. But I feel like pricing will keep it away from most enthusiasts. Knowing Sony, it'll be >$2k just for the body...
  4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Going this route, assuming improvements/refinements in hybrid, on-sensor PDAF, makes more sense to me than the SLT technology in their current DSLRs.

I don't see it as a competitor to the APS-C NEXs, Fujis or m4/3, though, because the system is going to need to be a good deal larger. More like a threat to the big DSLRs, I think, once they have the on-sensor PDAF rocking.
  5. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Sounds like it would be great for Leica owners and other RF shooters who like street style shooting, but not really for others since youll probably end up with large lenses on a small body.
  6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Please keep it lower MP, and also do something about the over-cooked colors. Otherwise, if I can afford it, I would certainly try it.
  7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    price aside, just having cdaf and a tilt screen would be a huge help. I'm loving my 28/1.8 on my 5D, but I have to contort myself into position to get the shot I want. Even if I had liveview, the AF with a PDAF lens is painful.
  8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Where's the lenses? Why doesn't Sony flesh out the system they currently have.
  9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    My irrational hope is, this is why they've held off on too many APS-C lenses -- they were waiting to see if they should go FF instead. I know it'll be bigger than an OMD or current NEX, but I would still love a mirrorless FF with primes in the 28-85 range, and an UWA zoom option, too. It'll still be smaller than a D600 or 6D.
  10. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    My initial take was equal to Pavlov ringing his bell. But after some rational thought, Bah-Humbug. I realized that the difference between my FF's and µ4/3 isn't all that significant for my expectations of and in the final image. (I haven't any plays for printing larger than 16x20. If I'm cropping to the extent I need a larger sensor, then I'm not doing my job as a photographer.)

I am better off tossing that money at lenses, better µ4/3 bodies and towards photo ops (travel expenses).

But then I'm not a collector.

Henri stated that image sharpness is a bourgeois concept. I think that ultra wide dynamic range and a noiseless/clean ISO 12800 are in the same category.

• Like Like x 5
  11. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    First question that comes to mind is, won't the lenses still be large? Removing the mirror allows them to shrink the body, but as I understand it the required lenses would still be pretty close to the same size, no?

I'm all for this happening, and the RX1 indicated to me that this was a likely next step. I'm just not sure what the benefits will look like for the finished product. We'll see I guess!
  12. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I don't think so. I have plenty of FF lenses and APS-C lenses. They really aren't the different in size. Some of my old FF glass is even smaller than newer APS glass at the same focal length.
  13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    That might be my issue. I've grown board of my surroundings, and haven't had a real, proper trip to someplace new in ages (Last August 2011, I believe).
  14. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Won't be of interest to me at any price, I've no interest in full frame. :smile:
  15. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

yes but if they make it with In body Image stabilization they would gain more of the people that will want to buy it for adapted lens use.

I haven't left the tri-state area in 20 years. But thats the great thing about New York, you'll never get bored.
    Why not?
  16. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    It probably doesn't matter how much bigger such a camera or it's lenses might be than existing m4/3 or APS-C systems. People bought (and still buy) big DSLRs and lenses if they see some kind of advantage in the larger sensor, and I'd suspect that many people with the money to spend would also buy this one (assuming that the rumour is true).
  17. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    I agree with you - my question is more how much smaller it'd be over a FF DSLR. If the sensor means more to you than overall system size m4/3 or APS-C systems probably won't be on your radar, but I can certainly imagine people looking at mirrorless versus DSLR in FF. In that case, lens size/overall system size would be a factor.
  18. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    I would think about a FF NEX... how ever I'd do a lot of thinking, as I'm pretty happy with the balance of µ4/3, which I would have to sell all of my great lenses to get into what I'm imagining to be a $2500-3000 camera body of a FF NEX... with no lens.
  19. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    I'm still hoping Cosina Voigtlander will come up with a decent full frame rangefinder -- and I don't mean the ancient Epson -- that will take M and screw mount lenses. A niche, manual focus market perhaps, but I'd jump in if the price were right.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    But what would the attraction of a NEX-9 be over an A99 or similar if you're going to use it with a 70-200/2.8 or an 85/1.4 or whatnot? For a NEX-9 to be successful, I think it will need its own stable of small(er) lenses to distinguish itself from existing full-frame lineups.
    • Like Like x 2