Full Frame Pen

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by daum, Nov 3, 2013.

1. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I love the form and snappiness of my E-P5 along with the lenses and of course 5-axis. While the sensor is awesome, I still lust after a full frame Pen. Do you guys think this will ever happen?
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Not a chance. Oly have nailed their colours to the M43 mast. A FF camera would mean a complete new set of lenses. It's not going to happen. Why not just buy a Sony a7?
  3. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Lenses aren't exciting, no 5-axis, I prefer the Pen form over the DSLR like hump. Even though I loved my E-M5. Lastly, I hate the styling. The EM-5, and EM-1 is much better looking.

It's not the first time Oly created a new standard. Look at the 4/3 format.
  4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That didn't work out so well...
  5. hookgrip

hookgrip Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    Olympus hasn't made any digital cameras with a sensor larger than 4/3. With all of the work that they've invested in making the current M4/3 lineup of lenses, a full-frame PEN is very unlikely. Even if Olympus did make a full-frame PEN, the lens lineup would be just as unexciting as the Sony A7/A7r lens lineup because Olympus would have to start from scratch. I do think that this is a bit unfortunate, since 4/3 failed because of Olympus's reluctance to put in a bigger sensor. The way I see it, M4/3 might be going down that same route once more companies follow Sony's lead and build compact full-frame cameras.
  6. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Reza Travilla
    I hope not. Because the lens size will be different and we should buy new ones. I love the concept of M43, to minimize the lens size and the camera.
  7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    well considering the original film version of the Pen was not full frame... I severely doubt it :)

8. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    The pen was originally a half frame, using full frame film wouldn't it be par for the course that they compete with and not join full frame?
  9. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Yes, but it won't be by Olympus or Panasonic. Sony or Fuji seem most likely.
  10. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I do too. That's the main reason why I switched to m43, but the FF A7 is about the same size as an EM-5. I just love the speed, form, and features of Oly bodies. But if other companies are making cameras the same size with FF sensors, it will be hard to stick with m43.

Oly, and Pana needs to make super fast lenses the size of the 20mm to keep the size advantage. I already hate carrying my 7-14 around.
  11. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    If Fuji releases a FF XE-X, and improve the AF. I'll consider switching it also depends on the size of the lenses.
  12. krixoff

krixoff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 11, 2013
    How big are 14-28mm FF?

7-14mm MFT is very small and very sharp lens.

Sent from my CINK PEAX using Mu-43 mobile app
  13. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium

with all due respect, if your flickr photos are representative of what you wish to achieve from photography then full frame is not going to make things better for you.

Olympus have committed to the 4/3 format... they made the call 10 years ago and have ran with it... its only now that the endgame is playing out... Small is a big part of the Olympus philosophy... always has been ... especially as most of their money comes from making optical devices designed to be inserted into very small and personal orifices

I am sure there are elements within Olympus who would love to make a full frame OMD, and recreate those wonderful and small lenses of the OM era...sadly I doubt there is the money or the market to make that feasible.

In the meantime the OMD and latest pens are amazing photo taking devices... if you can't take a half decent photo with them, no camera can help you

14. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Unless Fuji suddenly gets Leica's capability in making small lenses (+ AF size penalty), any lens for the Fuji ff will be larger than the corresponding lens for m43.
  15. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    That's exactly why i got rid of my FF DSLRs and went m43 because I realized what kind of photographer I am. I just like high quality shots of everyday life. I have no interest in being a pro photographer but if the size and price of a m43 body is about the same as a FF one. Why not get the FF?

I'm not switching anytime soon as i love the form and portability of my E-P5, but I do miss the clean files and shallow DOF from my D600. I've had the 75 1.8 and it just doesn't have the same depth as the D600 and 85 1.8 combo. I don't know how to explain it.
  16. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    The size will never be the same. The 14-28 on a 35mm will be much larger than the 7-14, etc up the line. The reason you don't get the depth from the 75 1.8 is because it is on a smaller sensor. If severely thin DoF is your thing, try medium or large format. Will blow you away compared to 35mm.
  17. hookgrip

hookgrip Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    Eh, not really. 645 film only has about a 1.3 stop advantage compared to 35mm film in terms of DoF, so you would still need a 135mm f/2 on 645 film in order to get the same perspective and DoF that is possible with a Canon 85mm f/1.2L on 35mm. Most medium format lenses in that focal length range are f/2.8 or f/4, so it's not really any easier to get shallow DoF even with medium format. In fact, currently, neither Hasselblad nor Mamiya makes a f/2 lens in the ~135mm range. Sure, if you go larger than 645 you can theoretically gain 2 stops of DoF, but then you lose autofocus and make all sorts of other compromises.

I've noticed that people on this forum love to downplay the DoF possibilities of full-frame DSLRs, when in reality the DoF difference between FF and 645 medium format (1.3 stops) is much less than the difference between FF and micro 4/3 (2 stops). Actually, if you account for the fact that f/1.2 and 1.4 lenses don't really exist for medium format, there is very little difference between medium format and 35mm, at least as far as DoF is concerned.
  18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    The original film PEN was a half frame camera. Among other reasons, the lens that would cover the FF area is too big to preserve the character of this camera. You're looking more at a Leica format for FF in the rangefinder format. You could just buy a Leica.:eek: I think Fuji will have a FF in the RF format.
  19. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    I have to ask: Why does the sensor have to be 135 format? Why don't I place a Speedbooster on a Fuji or any other mirrorless APS-C system and mercilessly mock the "FF purists" while I gain sharpness and a fstop while retaining 135 lens coverage?

Actually: Why don't I do that on my E-M5? Oh wait... I already do. And I have all the sharpness gain from it to the point my 50 1.2 at f/2.8 allows me to feel the razor edge from my images.
  20. hookgrip

hookgrip Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    Because the speedbooster is a flawed product compared to a full-frame DSLR with autofocus lenses. Even if the speedbooster supported AF it would be slow compared to the native 35mm lens on a 35mm body, and the sharpness (especially in the corners) just isn't there. Maybe in the future if the speedbooster's optics are improved, but certainly not currently. Also, even with a speedbooster mounted on micro 4/3, you only gain 1 stop of DoF and a 0.71x telecompressor effect, which isn't enough to make the lens the same as it would be on 35mm (which would require 2 stops and a 0.5x telecompressor effect). Not to mention that once you mount a speedbooster and a 35mm lens on a mirrorless body, any size advantage compared to a DSLR is essentially gone.