Full frame Olympus mirrorless

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by m4/3boy, Sep 7, 2015.

1. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    A very good friend of mine who is part owner of the largest camera store here told me this weekend that Olympus is definitely going to release a full frame mirrorless camera that will be targeted at competing with Sony's A7s. He said Olympus sees mirrorless full frame as the next big growth segment for cameras with interchangeable lens.

He also committed that the Olympus FF will be notably smaller than what Sony is offering

Additionally he mentioned that there is a slim chance that Olympus will release a rangefinder style m43 body to compete with the GX8.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
  3. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    If so it would require a new set of lenses. MFT lenses wouldn't cover the sensor.
  4. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    That's great news although I won't be holding my breath. There has been rumors of a Fujifilm introducing FF for quite awhile as well.

I'd love to see Olympus make a rangefinder style camera (E-P7?) whether it's FF or m43.
  5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    FF Pen-style with built in Evf and lousy video so it doesn't have heat issues and can stay small? Olympus can re-design some of the older film lenses.
  6. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Wouldn't it be nice if it could use m43 lenses. I imagine it can't, but I can dream...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Boneyard

Boneyard Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    I have been hoping for an Oly RX1-alike FF compact with EVF. Instant daily carry for me if they could pull it off.

Like Sony, if they want to go down the mirrorless FF road, a good compact proof of concept is a good way to dip ones toes in.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    These threads make me LAUGH OUT LOUD. Just like the Fuji ones I always saw when I shot Fuji.
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
  9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

they could in crop mode at 1/4 the resolution and with a 2x crop factor.
    • Funny Funny x 3
  10. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    I'd be happy with a fixed-lens XZ-type camera with a 4/3" sensor. It's been rumored.

As for a "full frame" ILC, I don't need it, but I'd be happy if it came out so you all would sell me your Micro Four Thirds gear at fire-sale prices.

Another option for Olympus would be to skip 36x24mm and incorporate an even bigger sensor, like 40x30mm. Unlike Canon and Nikon users, Olympus veterans don't have autofocus SLR lenses that need compatible cameras. Beat the big-sensor snobs at their own game. Charge a super-premium, Leica-like price so you don't lose too much money on development costs. The 40x30 flagship would make Olympus the prestige brand. Canikon would cry that sensor size doesn't matter that much after all, and then Micro Four Thirds would win fresh appreciation. Olympus would live happily ever after.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Hey, not being interested in 4K video I need something else to talk about.:p
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    I don't believe this at all.
    • Agree Agree x 4
  13. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    I think that Olympus needs to be interested in 4K to remain viable.

As to a FF Olympus, it will depend on both size and lenses. It can't be larger than the A7 series and Olympus must release good, no, very good lenses at the same time. A 24 or 28, 35, and 50 plus a 24-70'ish zoom. I just don't see Olympus being in a risk taking mode at the moment to introduce a FF series.

A rangefinder PEN would nice, but I think that I have finally given up hope on that.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If this would be at all exciting to you, why are you shooting m4/3?
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    I'd like to see Olympus (or Panasonic, I'm not biased) make a proper FF rangefinder, not a look-alike.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    While I understand where you're coming from (and am more than dubious of the rumor), it doesn't have to be one or the other. The different formats have different characteristics; they're actually quite complementary. If someone has use for it, it only makes sense to use the right tool for the right job.
  17. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I know they need to get to 4K since it will become a standard feature. I just hope it doesn't affect the still photo side of the body very much, e.g., heat dissipation. This FF stuff is just idle forum chatter and (you must admit) pretty angst free compared to the Fuji threads.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. buzzrobot

buzzrobot Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 5, 2015
    Seems pretty unlikely that Olympus would brief some random camera dealer about its plans.

That said, an actual rangefinder from Olympus, rather than something that kinda, sorta, vaguely looks like one, would really tempt me. It would not need to use the traditional mechanical mirror and prism focusing of analog rangefinders. But, it would need to preserve how RF users have always focused manually.

So, yes, Olympus, build an RF, give me a focus patch and framelines in the finder, lenses that manually focus by turning a lens ring, and a real aperture ring on the lenses. Put the dials on the top plate. Sell it for the price of an EM-1.

Lens mount would be very interesting. Some new Oly mount? Could existing lenses work? What about M-mount lenses?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Holoholo55

Holoholo55 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 13, 2014
    Honolulu, HI
    I wouldn't take this seriously at all. I don't dream of an FF mirrorless from Olympus. As others have said, going to a FF sensor will require a whole new set of lenses. Olympus has, of course, plenty of experience with that in the OM line of film cameras, but really, is it worth it for them to go head to head against Canikon and Sony? I think that's a losing proposition. I frankly think their best bet is to stay in M43. Just work on improving the sensors and optics, providing hybrid PDAF/CDAF on all their cameras, and keeping the kits light and compact. That's my dream. We keep hearing these kinds of rumors and nothing comes of them. :)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    I went from Nikon to M 4/3 to reduce the size and weight of the gear I carry, even if I was return to full frame I'd just go back to Nikon.
    • Like Like x 1