Full Frame Nex Mount Camera? - RUMOR with photo

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by emirabal, Sep 11, 2012.

1. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

Now, hold on a second. Someone explain this to me, they are saying it would use the same E mount. i thought that because the sensor and the glass (lenses) were used hand in hand and that they could not be changed without chnaging the glass sizes (which then i dont care as much because then it means getting into a whole new system).

Either way, this would be awesome and lines up with that RX-1 and even RX-100 where the cameras are getting smaller and sensors are getting bigger.

This is all i need with a pancake lens at 1.4

This is the video camera

Sony VG-900 image leak may reveal first full-frame NEX camcorder | The Verge

2. manzoid

manzoid Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2011
    If I am understanding your question correctly, I think the answer is that the distance from sensor to mount could be the same as well as the actual mount... but perhaps only the 'full frame e-mount' lenses will be compatible with the full frame nex and aps-c nex, while aps-c nex lenses will only work with aps-c nex cameras.

I believe this is how it works with full frame and aps-c systems in Nikon and Canon.

If you are refering to the actual physics of getting a larger image to be in focus from the lens at the same short distance, I would guess it would either just be accomplished with elements of the lens, or they might have a built in extension like the legacy adapters do.

3. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Urmmm. You realize this is NOT going to be NEX 7 sized right? It's going to be pretty good sized brick. Take a look at the other Sony NEX camcorders for an idea of what to expect.

4. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    There's nothing that prevents them from making full frame e mount lenses. The e mount is big enough to allow for that. It's the same way with many lenses today. For example, there are APS and full frame EF mount lenses.

Using a extension tube to make the lens work with be pointless. They might as well make it an Alpha mount instead. The big issue in making a short registration distance full frame lens is the angle of incidence of the light ray the farther it is away from center of the sensor. A sensor ideally needs the light ray to hit it perpendicularly. Starting with the C3/5N Sony addressed this with their microprism sensors to compensate for the oblique angles away from center.

5. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Most of that is egonomics, as with the previous NEX camcorders. They were basically NEX guts put into a bigger camcorder sized housing. I wouldn't think this is any different. I doubt that Sony had completely different full frame product development lines. This camcorder probably shares a lot with the forthcoming A99, RX1 and a future full frame NEX.

6. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    The pro video line for any company is completely separate from their photography line. Of course they share parts and technology, but Sony makes parts and components for everyone else, so that doesn't really mean much. Some of their best stuff end up in a competitors product, so it's not a sure thing.

7. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Sony does sell it's components to other companies. For years all CD players used Sony laser assemblies. Sony doesn't sell entire innards to their competitors. The last generation VG camcorder shared much more than the sensor with the NEX 5 including much of the firmware. Why would this be any different? The VG camcorders are part of the NEX product line afterall.