Full Frame Image Thread

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Hawk on a stick.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Took a drive down the same road that I saw the hawks on and stumbled under this guy today. I think it might be the same youngster that was perched on the wire yesterday. Nice to have him to practice on while I wait for winter to set in and the arrival of Snowy Owls (fingers crossed)!

Sun setting over a smoky Grand Teton plain.

51419298910_0eb5276e1c_o.jpg

Just a little "Curio."

An Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite in downtown Pendleton, Oregon.

51424410002_b10aa83304_o.jpg

51425158566_64a44f7611_o.jpg

51425922979_a0bed34a6e_o.jpg

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
beach princess (4).JPG

sloan's cake smile (2).JPG

Will Focus

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
whats up doc (2).JPG

silly wabbit (2).JPG

Last edited:
Ghost on the forest floor

Shot with the Leica Macro-Elmar-R 100 4 on the K1.

51432154664_c400bac9a0_o.jpg

Gromit

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Richard
After days of drab, grey skies the light finally came good. This is Stapleford Wood, about 10 mins drive from home, and a place of almost utter silence. The only noises being that of birdsong and the breeze disturbing the tree tops - oh, and the clatter of the D700's shutter :D I love this place, and I love this camera.

NIK_7421-Edit.jpg
NIK_7439.jpg

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
You guys are killing me. Now they're saying end of October for the 7 IV release. It's supposed to have upgraded menus (thank God) and faster yet focusing. Maybe by then the new GH6 will be out and I can compare.

Zman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Feeling the need to scratch my full frame itch, I picked up a used Sony A7ii to experiment with adapted vintage lenses. These were all taken with a Helios 44-2 lens.
son090721_edited-3.jpg
son090721_16_edited-3.jpg
son090721_25_edited-4.jpg

You guys are killing me. Now they're saying end of October for the 7 IV release. It's supposed to have upgraded menus (thank God) and faster yet focusing. Maybe by then the new GH6 will be out and I can compare.

There are tons of used options that you don't have to wait on that also don't cost as much as that Sony will.

Tiny little gray tree frog. Shot with the Leica Macro-Elmar-R 100 4.

51432381940_fb845c18fb_o.jpg

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
There are tons of used options that you don't have to wait on that also don't cost as much as that Sony will.
Not with that focus there aren't. Not Nikon, not Canon, not Panasonic. No one else unless I get into a DSLR instead of mirrorless, which I don't want. Sony's hybrid focus is industry leading and the new IV is supposed to be as fast as the A1.

Rumors are that the new Panny GH6 will have hybrid focus ala Sony. They are likely to be released around the same time. If the GH6 does, and better yet if I could buy a Panasonic body without all those over the top video features I neither need nor want, I'll probably go that way and save myself the cost of new lenses.

I've looked at Nikon Z, they are uncomfortable and have a very limited lens selection. The Panny S5 was really nice and has a huge lens compendium. I may have bit, but once they released the G9 firmware that made the focus the same as the S5, I knew I was done with it. Canon makes nothing that excites me. Pentax focus has the same issues Panny does for fast action and the only one I'd care about is a DSLR. Fuji doesn't have a FF. Trust that I have held and looked at many cameras before arriving at this conclusion. And, if it turns out the IV is too expensive then I'll get a III. Right now planning on about $2500 for the body, or about the same price as the G6.

Not with that focus there aren't. Not Nikon, not Canon, not Panasonic. No one else unless I get into a DSLR instead of mirrorless, which I don't want. Sony's hybrid focus is industry leading and the new IV is supposed to be as fast as the A1.

Rumors are that the new Panny GH6 will have hybrid focus ala Sony. They are likely to be released around the same time. If the GH6 does, and better yet if I could buy a Panasonic body without all those over the top video features I neither need nor want, I'll probably go that way and save myself the cost of new lenses.

I've looked at Nikon Z, they are uncomfortable and have a very limited lens selection. The Panny S5 was really nice and has a huge lens compendium. I may have bit, but once they released the G9 firmware that made the focus the same as the S5, I knew I was done with it. Canon makes nothing that excites me. Pentax focus has the same issues Panny does for fast action and the only one I'd care about is a DSLR. Fuji doesn't have a FF. Trust that I have held and looked at many cameras before arriving at this conclusion. And, if it turns out the IV is too expensive then I'll get a III. Right now planning on about $2500 for the body, or about the same price as the G6.

Everyone needs different tools...

I am very rarely limited by AF speed in my shooting. So waiting for AF improvements is lost on me.

Cataracts on the Middle Prong in the GSMNP.

51432156919_694554c865_o.jpg

51432383360_1f64a520e7_o.jpg

51432153574_fde81d569e_o.jpg

Toddster

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Todd Cleaver
There are tons of used options...
So if one were to want to scratch the full frame itch with a used DSLR what are the best 'value' options? Like some others here I don't need the latest greatest auto focus or any focus tracking. Just something with decent dynamic range that is fun to use and cheap enough to try without breaking the bank.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Everyone needs different tools...

I am very rarely limited by AF speed in my shooting. So waiting for AF improvements is lost on me.
Right. We've discussed this before when I asked your advice on the Pentax. I was set to buy until the AF issue raised it's head. If my main subject were as yours, I wouldn't hesitate. For my purposes I wouldn't even be considering a change if not for Panasonic's poor action focusing. I love everything else about the camera.

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Claude
So if one were to want to scratch the full frame itch with a used DSLR what are the best 'value' options? Like some others here I don't need the latest greatest auto focus or any focus tracking. Just something with decent dynamic range that is fun to use and cheap enough to try without breaking the bank.
Form my part I got a Canon 5D MkII for about 400 USD last year. And I am quite pleased with it. Now I did have some Canon lenses as I have used Canon APS-C cameras since 12 years. Hence this certainly influenced my selection. I could also have bought a 6D - I was looking for either, and a deal passed by for the 5D, so this is what I got...
The only thing I don't like as much with this camera is with manual focusing lenses. I have a great Zeiss 50mm/1.4 (C/Y mount) and when I mount it on the Canon, I miss the focusing aids that are available on my GX85.

You really couldn't go wrong with any used DSLR that is within your budget. Although I would probably shy away from old Sony A mount ones as there is no new lenses being made for them.

The K1 is a great camera, but not really budget. They are still going for over $1000+ used. I got mine for $1000 last year and probably could sell it today for that much or more.

I miss the focusing aids that are available on my GX85.

Pentax has that covered. They have the focus "beep" when using MF lenses. And if you want to use the LCD you can get peaking.

Brownie

Real Name
Tim
Do you have any legacy lenses for FF? If so, you may want to consider going with that mount.

FF mirrorless makes more sense because you can adapt any of those old lenses to it, same as you can to M-4/3.

I agree with @TNcasual to a point. The flip side of that is if you already own Minolta Maxxum or Sony A-Mount FF lenses, then look at one of their A-Mount DSLRs. In my case I have a bunch, and will likely purchase a Sony A to E adapter if/when I get the camera.

BruceRH

Mu-43 Regular
The Sony A7Rii is a bargain if you don’t care about AF or speed of operation. The sensor is excellent with excellent DR. I bought a used one and then ended up selling it when a got a great deal on an A7Riv. There are many great options for lenses, Samyang/Rokinon make some very reasonably priced lenses plus the new Sigmas are great. Then of course you can adapt many older lenses. Buy a used one, and if it is not what you want, you can easily resell it without much if any loss.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom