1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

"Full" Four Thirds Lenses on OM-D

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by sterlingimages, Jun 11, 2012.

1. sterlingimages

sterlingimages New to Mu-43

May 4, 2012
    Martinsburg, WV
    Supposedly the "full" Four Thirds lenses will work with full functionality, including auto focus on the OM-D with the new MMF-3 adapter.

Does anyone have experience with this?

I'm mostly interested in the longer focal length lenses - up to 200mm.

2. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Yes they do. YMMV with results though.

Basically all the MMF-2/3 does is make up the space the mirror box would take up and has electrical contacts for AF. I never had any of the longer 200mm lens though, mine were shorter.

The AF method though is different with the 4/3 lenses- the motors don't work the same way. I don't have any 4/3 left, but I had a MMF-2 (same as 3, without weather sealing as far as I know). AF hunting was common and slow. It improved on the E-M5 though, but depends on the particular lens- some are better than others, and the later 4/3 lenses were "optimized" for contrast detection AF. The last lens I had I sold recently- a 35mm f3.5 macro lens, the AF hunting back and forth was the norm. I also had a sigma 24mm f1.8 4/3 lens, that AF much slower compared to the E-520 I used to have, but was acceptable depending on the situation.

So basically: don't expect it to be lightning fast for AF confirm, although for most people and myself included- it was usually acceptable AF speed for most. Optically- they're great! A lot of those 4/3 lenses were- they just needed the sensor to catch up.

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Oly has a chart, somewhere, that shows compatibility between 4/3 lenses and m43 bodies. Some will AF slowly, some won't AF at all. Decide how important AF, and fast AF, is for you, find that chart, and then decide.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.