1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

"Full" Four Thirds Lenses on OM-D

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by sterlingimages, Jun 11, 2012.

1. sterlingimages

sterlingimages New to Mu-43

May 4, 2012
    Martinsburg, WV
    Supposedly the "full" Four Thirds lenses will work with full functionality, including auto focus on the OM-D with the new MMF-3 adapter.

Does anyone have experience with this?

I'm mostly interested in the longer focal length lenses - up to 200mm.

2. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Yes they do. YMMV with results though.

Basically all the MMF-2/3 does is make up the space the mirror box would take up and has electrical contacts for AF. I never had any of the longer 200mm lens though, mine were shorter.

The AF method though is different with the 4/3 lenses- the motors don't work the same way. I don't have any 4/3 left, but I had a MMF-2 (same as 3, without weather sealing as far as I know). AF hunting was common and slow. It improved on the E-M5 though, but depends on the particular lens- some are better than others, and the later 4/3 lenses were "optimized" for contrast detection AF. The last lens I had I sold recently- a 35mm f3.5 macro lens, the AF hunting back and forth was the norm. I also had a sigma 24mm f1.8 4/3 lens, that AF much slower compared to the E-520 I used to have, but was acceptable depending on the situation.

So basically: don't expect it to be lightning fast for AF confirm, although for most people and myself included- it was usually acceptable AF speed for most. Optically- they're great! A lot of those 4/3 lenses were- they just needed the sensor to catch up.

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Oly has a chart, somewhere, that shows compatibility between 4/3 lenses and m43 bodies. Some will AF slowly, some won't AF at all. Decide how important AF, and fast AF, is for you, find that chart, and then decide.