Full E-P5 Specs!

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by twokatmew, May 6, 2013.

1. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    LlOfdvJ_zps890e1b64.

(FT5) The full E-P5 specs! | 43 Rumors

These features jump out at me:

Uses BLN-1 battery
    IS in Live View
    4th IS mode: SIS Auto
    1/8000sec max shutter speed
    Compatible with VF-2, 3 & 4
    AE bracketing can be assigned to Fn button
    HDR mode can be assigned to Fn button

2. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    I like the faster shutter (also gives a higher flash sync speed), am curious about whether the true base ISO is still 200 or if the ISO 100 is real. I'm still leaning towards something in the OM-D line as an eventual upgrade from my E-P3 but this is quite tempting.

3. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Aside from all the pluses of the E-P5, this would be a really nice match with the E-M5, as they use the same battery. But I've spent my photography budget for the year, and I really need to master the bodies I currently own. Still, very tempting and very sexy looking camera IMNSHO. :biggrin:

4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Nice ! I hope one day they squeeze a viewfinder in a similar case .

5. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    All improvements suggest incremental upgrades to the "base" E-M5 package. I'm betting we'll see all of them in the E-M5 replacement coming early Fall (if rumors prove true, which, in this case, it's most probable they will).

As a sidenote, this flow of events seems to indicate that the E-M5 succesor will definitely NOT be the "pro" Olympus camera (due, possibly, sometime later this year or early 2014).

1/8000th speed is a godsent to all of us living in countries with more than 300 days/year sunshine. It's also great that I can syncronize my flashes through my Cactus triggers at 1/320s (currently, 1/250s).

I believe ISO100 would be a "pull" ISO but that's fine; after all we all know ISO numbers are not written in stone. I welcome the feature all the same. I guess some of the reported bugs of IBIS should have been sorted out. All useability upgrades are logical and welcome.

Personally I'm not in the market for the E-P5 but truth be said, if you don't care about weather sealing or alloy construnction, this will be the best all-around Olympus camera for some time at least. Lack of a EVF is not a negative IMHO. VF-4 will be much better than the EVF in the E-M5 should one need to include it.

6. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    The most perfect PEN

It even has focus peaking!

As someone who needs reading glasses, and shoots outdoors, I can appreciate that an inboard EVF would be useful, but I wouldn't want a bigger camera body or a smaller LCD to accommodate the viewfinder. I'm content with leaving the EVF as an option. A camera with interchangeable lenses is meant to be part of a system of many options, not to have everything integrated at the factory. Olympus has 3 EVFs that can go on this camera, with different features and prices, so the need for a viewfinder has been addressed.

7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    One interesting new feature is that it appears that the new camera supports geotagging apparently via a WiFi connection to a GPS-enabled smartphone. That's a completely new feature that I have not heard of previously on any camera.

I also think that the QR code connectability feature seems at though it should be nearly as simple (and much more universal) than the use of NFC in the Panasonics.

The more details leak out, the more intrigued I am by this new offering.

8. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I'm with you. The specs are indicative of what will be guaranteed to come to the E-M5 successor (hopefully).

As with technology, let's hope they push the envelop once more and add even more features to it.

After using the E-M5 for over a year and seeing this list I'd like to also add a higher res EVF, higher res LCD, and better implementation of the MySets.

9. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    it seems the "improved" IBIS includes distinct still and movie modes... and use during magnified view.

10. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    The looks, new sensor, and five axis.

All I need.

Oh and 12-16 months for the price to go down under $600.:smile:

11. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    E-M5's successor will most likely have the integrated version of the VF-4, which is Epson's latest EVF offering. It's early to even speculate, but further upgrades through firmware are certainly on the road, for both the E-P5 and the next OMD.

This is indeed an indication that what is probably the best stabilization system in any camera keeps getting even better.

Let's only hope the world notices this time around and more photographers embrace :43:

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    The P5 is definitely a looker & a performer all wrapped up in one....:smile:

13. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I'm pretty happy (minus ergonomics) with my E-M5, and plan on using it for years- it has basically everything I wanted in a digital camera for my uses.

Although a fake 100 iso, and WiFi- is nice. For me though: That 1/8000, and, well the looks I like (I love the old font) are about the only thing I wish I had.

But I'll keep chugging my E-M5 along to 100K shutters, or until it blows up- then see what's available. I have lens GAS luckily/unluckily, not so much for camera bodies as I'm pretty happy with E-M5's features- and am not too picky as long as it does what I want it to do (I'm pretty realistic in features).

14. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Damn - this is looking like a really nice camera. Must resist...

15. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Resistance is futile! :wink:

Unless you've got super willpower or an empty wallet.... :smile:

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

16. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    This model looks like a perfect second body to the OM-D. The super high res LCD coupled with the ability to flip it up makes it a street dream.Sharing batteries is a plus too.

17. thaiusmle

thaiusmle Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2013
    Agree!

18. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I know people generally ignore the gimmicks that go with the camera but there is one feature amongst all the filters that I think looks like a lot of fun - 'photo story'.

This is how it works...

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6aJMwiJOYY]Photo Story New Feature in Olympus XZ10: How Does it Work? - YouTube[/ame]

The specs on this camera are really impressive. It is a welcome return to form for Oly after the rather lacklustre EPL5 and EPM2 offerings.

What this means from my perspective is that the OMD EM6 is almost certain to have enough improvements that I will be queuing up to buy it as a replacement for my EM5.

19. I wonder if the 1/8000 shutter speed is available through an electronic shutter (same as the Samsung NX20) rather than mechanically. The specs describe it as "Shutter type: Computerized focal-plane shutter"

20. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I agree with that.
    :th_salute::th_salute::th_salute::th_salute: