Full E-M5 II review up at DPR

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
I think that dpreview writes to their audience, nothing more. I only read their review to get an overall review of a camera and to see image samples.

I love the articulated swivel screen. It is perfect for video, which I am sure why it was added.

Zobeid Zuma

Mu-43 Regular
Have you ever used a Sony A7?

I have not. Thanks for warning me about that!

I've used several Pentax cameras, though, and they are a lot more user-friendly than the Olympus.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I adore my E-M5. It's my favorite camera, hands down. But it's my favorite in spite of the user interface, not because of it.

Wandering Aengus

Mu-43 Regular
I don't find the menus complex. After using them for a while, they make sense to me. It can be a no-brainer camera if you want it to be. Shoot it at default or use it in Auto mode. For me, the menu allows lots of choices. If you want lots of choices, you have to have somewhere to make them.

tyrphoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ㅇtㅈyㅅr
I like dpreview for their very detailed and analytical reviews. When it comes to their conclusions and ratings though, they are biased just like any and every other review site or reviewer. And for the life of me, I still can't figure out how they give out gold and silver awards because it's definitely not based on the final percentage point given. Sometimes a camera that's given 80% will get a gold while another that gets 83%, a silver <shrug>. A review is a review and I don't base my purchases or opinions about a camera from a review so I could care less. The only thing a review is good for is basic info and a means to pique my interest to go check it out in person.

T N Args

Agent Photocateur
Real Name
call me Arg
And for the life of me, I still can't figure out how (DPR) give out gold and silver awards because it's definitely not based on the final percentage point given. Sometimes a camera that's given 80% will get a gold while another that gets 83%, a silver <shrug>.

Far too much detail is given here. Crucial point being they say "There is no direct link between the overall score and the awards: they are not given automatically to cameras reaching a certain threshold.... a camera can get an award even if a camera with a higher overall score didn't."

I think they are saying that the score is a careful bottom-up accumulation of points over a large range of criteria, whereas the award is a top-down, gut-feel, "we just love this thing, it's a winner to us" opportunity for the testers to express their positive emotional response to a camera.

Speedliner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Rob
I don't find it difficult either Curtis. This is my first DSLR so I wouldn't know how other OEMs compare. Maybe I just don't have past familiarity to break, but it seems simple enough and the quick meno downright simple to use.

D

Deleted member 20897

I don't find the menu system difficult either. It is definitely different coming from any other camera system, but you use it for a while and you've got it down.

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
I don't know why these reviewers keep harping on the Olympus menu system. It allows very in-depth user control. Once you have everything dialed in, you only need to use the SCP to make minor adjustments. I've used other camera brand bodies, and I find Olympus menus about the same when it comes to complexity. Maybe all the reviewers are bunch left brain thinkers who can't conceptualize outside the box! :D:p;):yahoo:

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Well a 24MP m43 sensor is going to have diffusion artefacts ruin its resolution above f/4-ish. Who wants that?

Aside from that, a 16 mp limit is not the issue (look at the D4, 1D or the 12 MP A7s). 16 is more than enough for most photography work. If you are looking for super hi-res files, M43 is a bad choice, regardless of what in camera functions they come up with. I'm not complaining about any of the cool stuff they come up with, more options are always better, but if your thing is super hi-res, you would be better off with a D810, the upcomong 50mp canon, or MF. The sensor improvements most are looking for are better DR, lower noise, and richer color.

Latest threads

Top Bottom