Fuji's X10 sensor trick - could they or Panasonic do the same for m4/3?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by krugorg, Sep 6, 2011.

1. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I am not buying the X10, though, I am intrigued with their Dynamic Range boost feature, which sacrifices half the resolution (6 mp) to improve dynamic range and reduce noise.

Assuming this works well, wouldn't this be a great feature to have on m4/3 sensors?

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Or how about on the Nex 24mp sensor, which would still leave you with 12mp resolution in the higher DR and/or lower noise mode...

-Ray

3. alphasierra

alphasierra Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 13, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    This idea amuses my engineer's brain, and has done even before I heard about the Fuji. I think it could be taken a little further though.

I presume what they're doing is something like underexposing half the pixels, and overexposing the other half, by some known amount (let's say, for argument, 2 stops either side of the 'nominal' exposure - this would match with 1600% improvement). Then read off and combine each 'pair' of pixels, and you have a 6MP image with improved dynamic range.

BUT, each pixel is still a real pixel - they still have 12 megapixels of data, just that there are some severely underexposed and overexposed pixels in the 12 million. However, throughout the 'middle brightness', both the underexposed and overexposed pixels should still have recorded useful data - they just need to be corrected for the deliberate exposure offset. Only the darkest shadows and brightest highlights, where half the pixels are useless, actually need to be at 6MP.

So, why not output a 12MP image, where all the midtones are at full resolution (by adjusting the relevant pixels up/down), and the highlights/shadows are made up of alternating real-and interpolated pixels? That way, the picture of Aunt Doris in the garden on a sunny day has all the interesting part (Doris, garden) at full quality, but the bright clouds don't spoil the image by clipping and the shadows aren't just black.