Showcase Fujinon 55mm f2.2 (M42 mount)

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by gnarlydog australia, May 19, 2017.

1. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    I have seen some interesting samples from this lens on Flick and it seems to sell rather inexpensively on evilBay, so I decided to try a copy.
    Most of the Fujinon 55mm f2.2 seem to suffer from the cracked focus ring (or other barrel part) since they are made from plastic, that has shrunk over time. The core of the barrel however is still made from metal so, while some lenses look bad, they still perform well.
    5 blades apertures are not exciting to me for speckled highlights in the bokeh when stopped down but I got this lens for the bokeh wide open.

33907226624_eac5ba9729_h.jpg lime tentacles by gnarlydog, on Flickr

34607173952_02c4f82d77_h.jpg bubbles and droplets by gnarlydog, on Flickr
    More images to come...

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  2. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    • Like Like x 7
  3. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    After more than one year in the shelf, I've finally went out for a ride with my old Fujinon 55 F/2.2

Olympus EM5 MK II + Fujinon 55mm @ f/2.8

39472029664_1c2ec30f52_c.jpg
    PC068740 copy
    by Jaime Silva, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  4. gnarlydog australia

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    clicking on the image allows me to see it a bit larger to actually observe how good this image is.
    The flare is contained yet enough to add a very soft feel, the speckled highlights not overwhelming, the color balance warm but not overdone.
    A great portrait indeed

5. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    Thank you gnarlydog!

I was surprised how the lens hold the flare very well, although I've been carefully not to allow to much flare to get directly into the lens.
    Modern lenses like my Pana/Leica 25mm f/1.4 don't deal so good with sun flare.
    One of the reasons I've managed to get this balance may be the long lens-hood I've attached to the Fujica. I've put a lens-hood on it more suitable to longer lenses like 105mm or 135mm.

As for the processing of this image, I used the same workflow I do with the other photos taken using my modern lenses.
    There was no extra sharpening or something.
    The only think I've adjusted a bit more than usual was the color balance to get a warmer look.