1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Fujifilm XF1?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by usayit, Mar 19, 2013.

1. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My wife and I really have different requirements for cameras. I see photography as a serious hobby. She really just wants good snapshots of the ever evolving family. As such, rarely does a single camera or system meet our needs. She usually carries around a P&S (Olympus tough series) but I find pretty much any lower end compact P&S utterly frustrating. Except lately, she is finally realizing the limits of her camera.....

So I am now considering buy ourselves a new higher end P&S camera. My last one was a enjoyable Panasonic LX3 so the new one will be measured against it. For her, it is an absolute must that the camera is compact.

After doing some research it looks like I've narrowed the choices to the Fujifilm XF1. Big sensor. Fast lens. Raw. Neat EXR sensor. For her, its very compact... more so than my old LX3. Her major complaint with P&S is shutter lag. Others that are in consideration: Canon S110 and Sony RX100. Yes. Ideally the Sony RX100 seems to be the big player here but at around $650 USD, I can't see myself spending that type of cash on a compact at this time.

So does anyone have opinions on the XF1?

2. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I think it's a pretty amazing little camera after playing around with it in a store. Larger sensor than Lx, Xz. Super compact and stylish.
    However I would suggest that your wife handle it first. The turn on mechanism is a bit fiddly, you have to play around with it for a bit
    . I can see where someone can get frustrated with it. You can miss photo ops. Also zoom is manual. Can be weird for someone not used to it.

3. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I think the XF1 looks like a great P&S camera for a stylish enthusiast. The EXR sensors are really impressive. My in-laws have two of them (Fuji P&S cameras with EXR sensors, not the XF-1) and I'm always impressed with what they can do indoors with flash as well. One thing of note is that the lens is only f1.8 on the wide end - the max aperture drops very quickly once you touch the zoom, and a 25mm equivalent is pretty wide for general shooting.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The XF1 is a great little camera, but if she's willing to go to the next size up, I think the LX7 is a much more capable (due to faster lens at telephoto) camera which is also less expensive. If your LX3 was too big, the XF1 is a great choice.

5. usayit

Great suggestion. I'll have to do that. I don't think it will be a problem for me, I still have some collapsible lenses I use. I did notice that there is a standby mode in which the lens is still extended for quick shoots.

I think my wife would actually prefer the manual zoom.. its faster than the electronic ones on P&S. She has mentioned that she wish it were faster on her current camera.

Good point. I shoot 24mm quite a lot. I'll have to look through my wife's photos and see what focal lengths are recorded

Absolutely a good suggestion. I've always been a big fan of Panasonic Lumix cameras and the LX3 was fun. I had not realized how much the LX7 has improved over the LX3. Another camera to show to the wife

Much appreciated everyone! More suggestions comments? postem.

6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I was on your same dilemma. She doesnt care much about IQ and stuff WE do. So for me it was the X10 and the XF1 the XF1 still goes more expensive than the X10 so i bought that for her. Shes happy so far.

Dont forget the design factor. FujiĀ“s are WAY more appealing cameras than anything else on the market. so dont get rid of that when you put the LX7 to compete with the XF1

7. usayit

Yup... if it were a pure choice for myself, the X10 would have been higher on the list than the XF1. Unfortunately, the X10 is too large to be considered a compact (by my wife's standards).

BTW... There is an instant rebate going on right now on the XF1... $399USD.

8. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    If money isn't a pressing issue I just couldn't go past an RX100 if I was in the market for a compact. So much ability in such a compact package...

9. usayit

Yeh... the RX100 would be great. Money isn't an issue here but my wife and I agreed on a price point we would like stay within. In part, I don't want her to feel uncomfortable carrying something she deems as too expensive and fear loosing it.

So yesterday, I ended up getting the XF1 in brown with matching case for her. First impressions are good but we are talking only half an hour shooting in a dark living room. She's getting used to how the lens operates and has a few days to really try it out. I like how it feels actually... the feel of the mechanical zoom is a pleasant feel of confidence compared to the electro-zooms of most P&S. I was able to use full manual mode fairly comfortably using the thumb wheel.

We'll have to see....