Fujifilm XF1

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by QualityBuiltIn, Sep 17, 2012.

1. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
  2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I'm afraid I don't understand. Why would you want this camera?

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Do you think this will have better ergo's than the RX100?

I know looks don't matter much, but I am not liking the leather wrap on this (and I like the looks of the X10 and the rest of the Fuji's).

4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I'm with you. Very little about this camera is compelling to me. Love the X10 and X-E1.

• Like Like x 2
  5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I am not very confident in my own fashion sense (and thinking maybe this camera was marketed to another demographic), so I showed pictures of the brown and black versions to my wife last night. She was not a bit fan saying that the leather looked "fake" (she did slightly prefer the black to brown version). She doesn't really like the retro camera look, though - she preferred her red E-PL3 to the Pentax Q I replaced it with (she wanted more portability).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Yeah, I'd check out the X10, unless you want something you can stick in a shirt pocket, in which case the ergonomics WILL be awkward, so you may as well get the RX100. The X10 has the same sensor, a faster lens through the range (f2.8 at the long end, rather than 4.9) an OVF, better controls. The only thing it doesn't have is the small size, but the small size is responsible for the handling compromises in the RX100, S100/110, and likely this leather bound little Fuji...

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  7. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    I don't think I'd want this for myself, but I see the attraction. The camera looks great, and the lens mechanism in particular is a beautiful piece of design.

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It's a cute design, but the lens is a rather compromised beast - 25-100mm range equivalent is good, but f/4.8 on the long end? When Panasonic's LX7 is f/2.8 on an only marginally smaller sensor?

DH

9. QualityBuiltIn

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thanks for your feedback

Guys,

Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Yes the 'leather' is plastic and the screen is quite out of date and low resolution. Frankly my eyes don't benefit from megapixel resolution on a 3" screen at a 15" working distance.

The lens would appear to be optically the equivalent of that on the Sony Rx100 but mechanically neater. I like the idea of twisting the lens to turn on the camera and that it tucks away nicely when off. I agree that the lens is inferior to the LX7/ D-Lux6.

The sensor is significantly larger than the LX7 though and 12 million pixels on a chip this size seems sensible. And it is the same sensor as the X10 which gets a great write-up (at least since the orbs have been fixed). The start-up time, autofocus and shot-to-shot times are claimed to be very quick. My current compact is a Sony WX1 because it was the fastest compact on the market at that time.
    sensor-sizes.

Finally I reckon that the slightly longer, taller & thinner shape compared to the RX100 may be enough to make it less awkward/ more easy in the hand. And I do want my compact camera to fit in my jeans pocket so the X10 is too big for my wants.

Need to get hands on though - because on paper I would have bought an RX100.

10. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    I think that little Fuji is rather sexy looking...

• Like Like x 1
  11. QualityBuiltIn

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    XF1 v E-P1

Yesterday was my first chance to get my hands on a XF1 and it felt great. It is significantly bigger than the Sony Rx100 except in depth (or thickness). It fits in my jeans back pocket - careful, don't sit down. It easily fits in my jacket pocket. Really sturdy build quality.

So far the only less than perfect feature is getting the lens from fully tucked away to stand-by. Essentially you have to grab the little bit of protruding lens barrel and pull it straight out. This does not feel slick.

I am delighted with the handling and over the moon at the pictures it produces.

I've taken a couple with both the XF1 and my E-P1 for comparison.

My garden with Pen E-P1, 14mm Lumix on Auto
    EP1_Auto.JPG

then using Fujifilm XF1 EXR Auto
    [​IMG]
    Coffee cup with E-P1, 14mm Lumix Aperture Priority at f2.5
    [​IMG]

and now the XF1 using Advanced Mode 'ProFocus' (for sharp subject with blurred background)
    Fuji_ProFocus.JPG

What do you think?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lucille ..I think he intend to take pics with the camera rather than taking it to bed based on looks..:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

13. QualityBuiltIn

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    A few XF1 shots

I am loving this little camera

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/lenses2005/8280396481/" title="Carousel, Edinburgh's winter wonderland by lenses2005, on Flickr"> 8280396481_79820ca534_b. "1024" height="640" alt="Carousel, Edinburgh's winter wonderland"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/lenses2005/8281428692/" title="Cappuccino @ Caffe Centro, Edinburgh by lenses2005, on Flickr"> 8281428692_6410382be8_b. "1024" height="768" alt="Cappuccino @ Caffe Centro, Edinburgh"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/lenses2005/8237758129/" title="Robin in the garden by lenses2005, on Flickr"> 8237758129_8b213201ed_b. "1024" height="768" alt="Robin in the garden"></a>