1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fujifilm X100s... third system

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by rich9cinti, Mar 8, 2014.

1. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    Hey all. With some great prices for outfit bundles and quadruple eBay buck deals, I decided to get the Fuji X100s. I don't know how many others here have one, too, but let me know your thoughts. I decided on the classic silver. Black can be sexy but it reminds me too much about work.

It should arrive by Thursday so I'll add more to this post referencing my experience.

So the logic aside from G.A.S., the M43's became my travel camera when I went on a month long trip to the Philippines last year. No way was I going to risk my Canon gear from loss, damage or theft. The E-M5 was absolutely fantastic. When I returned I made the E-M5 with the 17 1.8 my everyday carry camera. The lens rarely ever came off. I love street/documentary photography and the 35mm length works well for that kinda stuff. The X100s has that FL I like plus the dials on top that tell me at a glance what my settings are which I think will be a plus.

So yeah... Third system for me but not an ILC so definitely a different class for me. I'm hoping it will be the EDC I've come to like. The M43's will still be my travel system, love the assurance of a weather sealed setup. The Canon gear for my gigs.

• Like Like x 4
  2. phl0wtography

phl0wtography Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 15, 2011
    Very capable camera, for sure.
    I am still on the verge of getting an X100 for my moderate wide-angle "needs". The so-so reviews of the 17/1.8 left me hesitating whether it is a good performer (living in Continental Europe, "buyin'n'tryin'" is not an option, as there is no return policy other than a defective unit over here). For less than the price of a new O17, one can get a used X100. While no "s", the classic X100 seems to deliver a fine file, whether its IQ is above the E-M5 is up for debate though.
    Would be great if you - seeing you own the 17/18., and an E-M5 - could report back on your view on difference in IQ between the X100s, and the former combo.

Have fun with your new toy, uhm tool :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  3. darcius1

darcius1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Sandwich Isles
    Seriously looking at the x100s. I have been very satisfied with em1, em5 with o12, o45, o75 and o12-40. Await the upcoming pro lenses but think that the x100s would be the perfect next addition for the range that you are talking about and one that my wife could enjoy also, since she is intimidated by OMD.

• Like Like x 1
  4. BAPHA

BAPHA Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    I have the x100s and love it. In fact, I am now using it alongside the em5 to provide the wide/normal FL, to complement the tele on the omd, either the 75 or 45. For me, this works great.

• Like Like x 2
  5. darcius1

darcius1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Sandwich Isles
    Yes, yes. The x100s would be perfect. I could see it being used solo, to complement in many permutations. We loves it

• Like Like x 1
  6. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Fuji colors and AWB are hard to beat, as are the controls. The magical IQ is a bit of exaggeration. I have an X100 and XE1, both are very fun to shoot.

• Like Like x 1
  7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nice..

I only wished they would release several versions of the same camera equipped with different focal lengths. Similar to past film P&S and rangefinders as well as the Sigma DPs.

• Like Like x 1
  8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I'm sure the x100s is a great camera, but I'm struggling to see what it can do that an E-M5 or E-P5 (or even E-PL5) plus the 17/1.8 can't do.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    Valid point. I'll soon find out. As for the kind of images I will capture, probably no change since the FL is the same aside from aspect ratio. For me, I am freed of lens choice (which I often do with my other two systems). I welcome the thought of going back to basics. Just grab and go. I also want to experience the range finder system... I don't know what to expect.

The features like the old split prism focus and the aperture ring are different not necessarily better but I sure want to find out.

10. emmef2

emmef2 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2012
    Italia
    I use my X100s alongside the E-P5, they are both fantastic cameras and complement well each other. The X100s has the OVF/EVF combo that is very useful.
    After a few months of usage together, I love the E-P5 for the fast AF, the 5 axis IBIS and the very useful exposure tools, the X100s has a little better overall image quality due to less noise and a less processed look and the silent leaf shutter is a plus.
    Unlike the Olympus the X100s battery dies giving only a very short notice

• Like Like x 1
  11. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Yes, the silent leaf shutter is great on the X100S!

I have hardly used my 17/1.8 lens after buying my X100S. I plan to sell the 17/1.8 lens once the Panasonic 15/1.7 lens is released.

• Like Like x 1
  12. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    you ever play with the higher sync speed the leaf allows ?

that is one reason alone I thought would be fun to get one

13. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I can see the alure Rich. In fact, I happened to be in a camera store yesterday and played with the x100s a little. It has a really nice feel to it. Let us know how you get on!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ares

Ares Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Yeah I have the x100s and em5, both are great cameras but the em5 has hardly had a look in recently although I plan to use this with longer/telephoto primes to compliment each other.
    The flash sync abilities of the fuji are unique, and the ooc jpegs are amazing, so much so that I'm tempted to trade the em5 for the xpro.

• Like Like x 1
  15. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The x100s will be tempting to me when I can find one for 700 or less. It's a focal length I love, and it's a cute camera. The hybrid finder is a huge plus, and the silent shooting option is the one thing currently lacking from my kit, and is sometimes annoying. Would be my people shooting/urban camera at that point, since I'm not super impressed with the X-Trans for landscape detail. Re: synch speed, if that's the reason you don't want the x series interchangeable lens bodies; the x-pro1 has slower synch than your E-M5 (1/250 vs 1/180).

• Like Like x 1
  16. taz98spin

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Yes, in studio sessions, I like to use the x100S in command mode to trigger a Metz flash & Orbis Ring light combo.

Here's an example (sorry it's processed using VSCO FILM 03) :smile:

13032906924_b5bc5b1e9f_z.
    Allison by Taz Spin, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  17. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Rich
    Well, after just over 24 hours of handling the X100s... me likes it :biggrin:

I've perused the menus and set up C1 and C2 custom settings that will suit my initial needs. That leaves C3 available to ponder LOL. I really dig the feel of this camera body and yes, I like the fixed lens. It fits well in my EDC bag. I had it with me last night at work and handed it over to my co-worker who digs retro/vintage anything and his eyes went bongiongiong :tongue: Another co-worker who typically sticks his foot in the mouth said "what in the hell is that? An 8mm camera???" We both just droop-eyed him. Well, I said to myself, mission accomplished. It is that convincing that it looks like some old camera that is not worth it for a thief to steal.

The X100s was surprisingly smaller than the E-M5 but held in my hand better. It's also quite light. And the shutter sound... what shutter sound??? I place it in silent mode and WOWZA. I'll cover image quality at a later time but so far, a worthy 3rd system for me.

• Like Like x 2
  18. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Exactly!
    If you haven't experienced it in person/hand, it can't be described in words on the internet...:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  19. hankbaskett

hankbaskett Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    I picked up x100s up a couple of weeks back, I find the autofocus to be a little bit obnoxiously slow compared to the EM-5 and the aperture function seems to pick some pretty slow shutter speeds... maybe I'm spoiled by the IBIS on the EM-5.

Shutter sound (or lack thereof) is great, I like the pictures and the form factor. I think I'll learn to love it in its role as a little go-anywhere street or travel camera, but honestly compared to the EM-5 and the 17mm it's a luxury at best, a bit of a waste at worst.

20. taz98spin

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    The X100S also has High Performance mode under battery management setting. You can turn this on if you feel like the AF is slow.

• Like Like x 1