1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fujifilm X100 vs Olympus E-P2 on ephotozine

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by ronbot, Mar 22, 2011.

1. ronbot

ronbot Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2010
    Check out the Fujifilm X100 vs Olympus E-P2 on ephotozine2

At quick glance, the X100 seems very soft at f2.

At f8, X100 is sharper. Everyone knows the Oly pancake is sharpest at around f5. At f8, it has already began to soften. It doesn't seem like they tested the lenses at their optimal aperture at all.

That said, is the X100 better than the E-P2 based on this test?

Actually, I'd prefer that they compare the X100 to the E-PL2 with 20mm f1.7 since the E-PL2 is newer and has weaker AA, and the 20mm is arguably sharper than the Oly pancake.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    Not a particularly good test in my view, not much difference in image quality, bearing in mind the larger sensor of the X100. The lens used on the E-P2 may not be a match for the X100 BUT that can be changed on the E-P2.
    The X100 at the moment is a bit of an anomaly, reminiscent of the launch of the E-P1 - nice idea, nice camera, but let down by obvious glaring omissions.
    The X100 will appeal to those who hanker after the old style, have the disposable income to throw £1000 at it just to say 'I have one' on these forums. The current batch of m43 cameras have the ability to accept virtually any lens, thus making them much more adaptable/usable.
    I suspect that shortly after launch, the prospect of an interchangeable lens version will be announced.
    Would I like/want one, not really, it's just an expensive toy as it stands, I would sooner put that money towards a Leica (an even more expensive toy but will stand the test of time better than the X100).
    Meanwhile I will continue to use my existing bodies and range of lenses as is.
    :43::2thumbs:

• Like Like x 1
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Does not hold up well for the X100. Real world shooters will help inform the comparisons, but based on these results an EPL2 w/ 20/1.7 should perform as well or better (depending on aperture) than this X100.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Just what Howi and WT21 said :thiagree:

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    As mentioned above, you can change the lens on the E-PL2 but not on the X100, so the latter had better be good. It's kind of a weak test and, especially given the price difference between the two, I think the E-PL2 did pretty well.

6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    The IQ will be fine. This camera is all about using the viewfinder, the silent shutter, the manual focus tools, the dynamic DOF indicator, etc, etc, etc, to actually GET the shot and enjoy the experience. It will blow the doors off of the m43 cams in low light. Other than that, probably not a huge difference. People expecting a DSLR will be disappointed. People expecting a DSLR should buy a DSLR. Then everyone will be happy.

-Ray

7. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Exactly. I can't remember the last time someone released an enthusiast camera that couldn't produce the goods at low ISO and good light. The battleground is now general usability and meeting the specific needs of different segments of the market - i.e., street, sports, available light, strobist, etc...

Unless the viewfinder is a real breakthrough, I can't see the X100 doing anything that a PEN or GF can't do nearly as well for my needs.

Your mileage will vary.