Fujifilm X-S10, a short review.

iPete

Mu-43 Regular
This is a very short review and follow on from the Fujifilm X-S10 looks good thread.
Happy to take any questions on specifics.

I purchased the X-S10 with 16-80 f/4 and 23mm f/1.4 with a view to replace my Panasonic GX80 and 20mm f/1.7.
I've enjoyed the camera so much, I've already added the 35mm f/1.4 in the sales.

Background
Photography is not my main hobby anymore, but I still appreciate a camera with full control for travel and general shooting. Started with a Canon 40D and downsized to m43 over 9 years ago. While I've lusted over a Fujifilm for years, the GX80, pancake and IBIS has given me some great images in difficult situations in a tiny package.

This isn't a direct comparison with the GX80 & I don't feel it worth taking the time (yet) to offer some kind of image comparison.

PXL_20210102_152521903.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Left: Panasonic GX80 with 20mm f/1.7, Right Fujifilm X-S10 with 35mm f/1.4 + hood.

Summary
  • The Fujifilm is fun and I've never said that about a camera before.
  • I've really enjoyed using the fast primes, EVF only (flipping the articulated screen against the camera) and (to my surprise) using the film simulations.
  • Solid build, nice layout and ergonomics.
  • Same IQ as the flagship X-T4 model.
Looking forward to trying this out in different circumstances.

Images
I've not setup a workflow yet, these are straight from the camera jpegs, sent to my phone, downsized by Google Photos. Taken last night on a local walk using the 35mm f1.4.
2021_0101_19401200-01.jpeg
2021_0101_19282700.jpg

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'm going to ask the same question that I asked in the other thread.

How do you feel about the shutter ergonomics and the on/off switch ergonomics? Most people who commented on ergonomics mentioned one of those as weak points.

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Due to covid, I still wasn't able to test one of these in a store and I will likely decide from information online whether to get one or not. :)

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This is a very short review and follow on from the Fujifilm X-S10 looks good thread.
Happy to take any questions on specifics.

I purchased the X-S10 with 16-80 f/4 and 23mm f/1.4 with a view to replace my Panasonic GX80 and 20mm f/1.7.
I've enjoyed the camera so much, I've already added the 35mm f/1.4 in the sales.

Background
Photography is not my main hobby anymore, but I still appreciate a camera with full control for travel and general shooting. Started with a Canon 40D and downsized to m43 over 9 years ago. While I've lusted over a Fujifilm for years, the GX80, pancake and IBIS has given me some great images in difficult situations in a tiny package.

This isn't a direct comparison with the GX80 & I don't feel it worth taking the time (yet) to offer some kind of image comparison.

View attachment 866283
Left: Panasonic GX80 with 20mm f/1.7, Right Fujifilm X-S10 with 35mm f/1.4 + hood.

Summary
  • The Fujifilm is fun and I've never said that about a camera before.
  • I've really enjoyed using the fast primes, EVF only (flipping the articulated screen against the camera) and (to my surprise) using the film simulations.
  • Solid build, nice layout and ergonomics.
  • Same IQ as the flagship X-T4 model.
Looking forward to trying this out in different circumstances.

Images
I've not setup a workflow yet, these are straight from the camera jpegs, sent to my phone, downsized by Google Photos. Taken last night on a local walk using the 35mm f1.4.
View attachment 866285 View attachment 866284
Nice moody shots.
Got to admit this camera looks nice. As long as work holds out this year I may get one.
It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the stabilization. Those shutter speeds are higher than I would have thought for the night shots.
How long the battery lasts would be good info as well.

iPete

Mu-43 Regular
How do you feel about the shutter ergonomics and the on/off switch ergonomics? Most people who commented on ergonomics mentioned one of those as weak points.

Perhaps there are variations in copies, I can only comment on mine.
The on/off is OK to toggle with one finger. It might have felt stiff or awkward the first few times but I'm quickly used to the location and feel.
The shutter does have a long throw/press, it's different but not sure if that makes it an issue. It's only when I pick up the GX80 do I notice - accidentally taking images instead of reaching focus.

Nice moody shots.
Got to admit this camera looks nice. As long as work holds out this year I may get one.
It would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the stabilization. Those shutter speeds are higher than I would have thought for the night shots.
How long the battery lasts would be good info as well.

The streetlamps around here are mostly LED now, quite bright! I look forward to being able to use the camera in a dark jazz bar or similar again!

IBIS
I've only completed a very quick unscientific test on the IBIS. GX80 with 20mm (40mm FoV) vs X-S10 with 23mm lens (35mm FoV). Shooting a book from about half a meter, standing up on a soft carpet floor.

Both cameras could produce some keepers at around 0.2 / half a second.

Panasonic really nailed IBIS a long time ago, while it benefits from a smaller sensor, the camera is 5 years older. I'm unable to conclude if one is better or if they are the same. What I can say, is that the Fujifilm with the larger sensor appears to have a very usable IBIS. I'll try and test it a bit more in the real world.

Battery
I've not done a day of shooting with this so can't comment. Fujifilm were offering a free battery for purchasing in 2020 which mostly elimantes that concern for me.

Last edited:

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
I recently purchased an XS10
The general feel of it for size and even the grip is very reminiscent of size and feel of the EM1/2 and feels very comfortable to hold
My little finger drops off of the bottom of the grip which is quite short
This has never bothered me personally on smaller cameras but It may bother others
A metal baseplate (Smallrig or similar) grip may be the answer to those to whom this would be an issue ?
I did find that the shutter release felt quite strange and what you think is the focus activation stage does nothing and you need to press it further to activate focus (which feels as though you are going towards releasing the shutter.
Not a big issue and something you would get used to but going from another Camera to this one will feel very different and swapping between the XS10 and another camera repeatedly may be a (minor) issue if you are fussy about such things.
The shutter release seems to have 3 stages - 1st very light press stage does nothing, pressing further gives focus and then 3rd stage fires shutter.
Hope this answers your query @ibd
Similarly the on/off switch doesn’t feel quite right but again only a very minor issue
The switch is very shallow and when trying to move it with your index finger you don’t get a very good purchase on the switch and you have to angle the end of your index finger up so that you move the switch with the end of your finger/ finger nail for best effect - slightly annoying but again very minor in the scheme of things - would have been easy to have used a better switch and shutter button @ibd
I have been suffering with my back in recent weeks so haven’t managed to test the camera in the field yet but do like the overall feel of it
I’ve set the left function dial to ISO as I prefer a more direct control of ISO having gotten used to being able to do so on my XT3s (previously sold)
Although there are no markings as you would have on the XT3/4 dedicated ISO dials it is still very simple to turn the dial and see the changing ISO values in the EVF ( or on the LCD if you use this (I never shoot with LCDs)
Default ISO is by pressing an fn button on the left of the top plate with index finger and then turning a control dial - still very simple and easy enough I just prefer not to have the two stage approach for my ISO and am pleased with the XS10 implementation of extra dial to suit my preferred option
I have set an fn button to give me control of the Film Sims as they will be very seldom used in comparison (if at all I’m my case)
Film Sims is the Default for the left (3rd) control dial which is the one I’ve reset to control ISO
As Chris Nichols from dpreviewtv stated the additional and unusually placed fn button on the right of the EVF is surprisingly easy to access and use and is a nice bonus
The focus joystick is slightly annoying in that pressing it inwards doesn’t reset the focus point to centre - you have to use a button to reset the point to centre - on the XT3 and I presume the XT4 pressing the joystick inwards resets the focus point which is a much preferred way of doing things
My Nikon Z6 can be set to do this despite not being set to do this by default but the XS10 does not strangely have the option bearing in mind many users will like me be coming from previous experience with the XT3 and buying the XS10 in preference to the XT3 for its IBIS amongst other considerations
Have been imobile for the past few days with back problems but did manage a walk today as my back is getting a bit better just in time to return to work after the seasonal holiday so quite relieved but it will be a while before I test the camera in the field
Have some spare W126-S batteries from when I had an XT3 and don’t expect the smaller lower life batteries to be an issue personally as I don’t consider it a chore to change them over during use
No battery grip available or possible for better battery life (no connections available on the baseplate) or for the use of bigger lenses like the 50-140 and 100-400 which is a shame as I did like using them on the XT3 but this is probably an economy measure along with the target audience of what can be seen as a near entry level camera and price point

The Addition of IBIS is the best addition compared to the XT3 - when I first got the XT3 I tested it out on a few street shots and did immediately miss the IBIS of my Olympus cameras with lower light settings ending up with a few blurry shots due to not considering the lack of IBIS I was used to
No experience yet of the XS10s IBIS but will post examples when I get around to trying it out
I also purchased a 50-200 as it was on offer with the camera at 10% discount from the retailer plus £180 cashback so very cheap
Im not convinced it is to be retained as I also have other lenses covering this range but having said that it is a very nice size and very well matched to the XS10 with a great focal range for Motorsports
When very briefly mounted and tested on the XS10 it did seem that Autofocus would be noticeably slower than that of the 50-140 f2.8 (as to be expected of course) I had before
As it would (hopefully) be used for fast Motorsports it may not be perfectly suitable for my use - not sure yet !
Nothing lost either way as I got the lens at very reduced price to give me flexibility of choice
Edit
The EVF as expected is smaller and inferior to that of the XT3 but better than expected and perfectly useable - pleasantly surprised and happy with this (as it is on a lower end camera) Much better than the GX9 EVF imo and from memory for reference

Last edited:

Peter75

Mu-43 Regular
Today I bought an X-S10 as well. I have paired it with the 18-55/2.8-4 for size. Added a Samyang 12/2 for wide angle.

After I have sold my G80 and zooms I buy a telezoom and the 23/2

Really like the ergonomics of the new camera, and my temporary X-T30 was also a lot of fun, but lacked ergonomics, otherwise very comparable.

Peter75

Mu-43 Regular
I'm going to ask the same question that I asked in the other thread.

Shutter is different from G80, long throw for half press. After a few times I got used to it and works fine for me. Easy to distinguish half-press and taking a picture. On-Off switch works fine, no need for nails or any thing. Just with my index finger on feel.

iPete

Mu-43 Regular
How is the switch to Fuji proceeding? I am expecting the X-S10 to be delivered sometime soon.

I'm very happy with the camera, system, film profiles, etc. The 35mm f/1.4 really makes it, it's so small.

I'm on the fence about a few of my other lenses because I like to keep things small but equally, I've not had the opportunity to travel or really use most of them as intended (14 2.8, 23 f1.4 & 16-80).

Derek

Mu-43 Regular
For those who have the X-S10, I've got a request for you, but first a little background: I rented one last month and used it to photograph an outdoor activity with neighborhood kids, and there was what seemed to be an enormous delay in waking the camera up from sleep mode which caused me to miss some shots. However, although I noticed the long shutter travel for half-press while I was shooting, reading this thread makes me wonder if I just wasn't conscious enough of it while waking the camera and simply wasn't pressing the shutter far enough to wake it.

So, if you've got one and are used to the long-throw shutter, would you mind checking to see how long it takes to wake the camera from sleep with an appropriate half-press, please? I'm not expecting a quantitative result, but I'm looking for a camera that wakes up faster than it takes me to raise the camera to my eye (i.e., modern DSLR-like wake-up speeds). I'd rather not have to rent it again just to find out this one piece of info. Thanks much for considering my request!

halebalephoto

Mu-43 Regular
For those who have the X-S10, I've got a request for you, but first a little background: I rented one last month and used it to photograph an outdoor activity with neighborhood kids, and there was what seemed to be an enormous delay in waking the camera up from sleep mode which caused me to miss some shots. However, although I noticed the long shutter travel for half-press while I was shooting, reading this thread makes me wonder if I just wasn't conscious enough of it while waking the camera and simply wasn't pressing the shutter far enough to wake it.

So, if you've got one and are used to the long-throw shutter, would you mind checking to see how long it takes to wake the camera from sleep with an appropriate half-press, please? I'm not expecting a quantitative result, but I'm looking for a camera that wakes up faster than it takes me to raise the camera to my eye (i.e., modern DSLR-like wake-up speeds). I'd rather not have to rent it again just to find out this one piece of info. Thanks much for considering my request!
I just tested a couple of times with mine. I let it go into sleep mode and then woke it up by pressing the shutter button. It takes a fraction of a second. Faster than I can lift it to my eyes. Also, the switch from LCD to EVF (via the eye sensor) is also super quick, even though the camera just woke up sleep.
However - one annoying thing is that the shutter button has 3 "levels". One, where you just lightly press it down, like when you activate autofocus on any camera. This first level does nothing on the X-S10 however. You have to press slightly more, in order for it to react. This goes for waking it up as well. I sometimes think that I am waking it up, but realise that I did not press the shutter button hard enough.

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
I just tested a couple of times with mine. I let it go into sleep mode and then woke it up by pressing the shutter button. It takes a fraction of a second. Faster than I can lift it to my eyes. Also, the switch from LCD to EVF (via the eye sensor) is also super quick, even though the camera just woke up sleep.
However - one annoying thing is that the shutter button has 3 "levels". One, where you just lightly press it down, like when you activate autofocus on any camera. This first level does nothing on the X-S10 however. You have to press slightly more, in order for it to react. This goes for waking it up as well. I sometimes think that I am waking it up, but realise that I did not press the shutter button hard enough.
Your experience and assessment of the shutter release is very similar to mine per my post above - a little unusual and distracting

Derek

Mu-43 Regular
Excellent, thanks for the info. As soon as I read this thread I figured that might have been why it seemed to take so long to wake up. Maybe the X-S10 is back on the table for me...

Your experience and assessment of the shutter release is very similar to mine per my post above - a little unusual and distracting
I found it a bit distracting, too, although I suspect I'd get used to it with use. Like some others, I also found the power switch to be a little more fiddly than I would have liked, but, again, it's probably the kind of thing I'd adapt to. I think it'd be rough to use with even light gloves on, though.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom