1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Fujifilm X-Pro1

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Roel, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Roel

Roel Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 4, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi there

I am a photographer in Canada - I was hired by Fujifilm Canada to shoot some promotional images with a pre-production X-Pro1 and lenses. I have also had my production unit (which I pre-ordered) for about 10 days now. If anyone is considering/interested in this camera and is curious what I discovered about this camera having used it since late February, you can read about it here:

Fujifilm X-Pro1 – Additional thoughts ‹ roel.me

I am happy to answer any questions you might have - although, it seems like a number of people have their production units shipping to them now.

Cheers,
    Roël
    roel.me

• Like Like x 4
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Thanks for the thoughts, Roel!

3. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    How do you find the low light AF, especially with the 35/1.4?

4. Roel

Roel Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 4, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Low light AF with the 35/1.4 is good, definitely faster than the X100 but not as fast as an DSLR. The 60mm macro is sluggish, especially in low light or in macro mode.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Roel

Roel Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 4, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    BTW, I forgot to mention... if I could only have one lens with the X-Pro1, it would definitely be the 35mm f/1.4 - it is wonderful lens - sharp, contrasty and fairly quick to focus. The close up mode on it is really useful too.

6. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    My XP1 arrives tomorrow. So looking forward to putting it through its paces as well. Thanks for the review Roel!

7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I'm finding it really good too and I'm sort of baffled by some who are complaining about it. In good light, it's fast enough but not near as fast as the ep3/epl3. In low light, I think it's a good deal better than the current pens (not including the em5, which may be better in this regard). The X100 got a a LOT faster in low light with the latest firmware updates and I think the X Pro is about the same or similar to the updated X100. That's with the 35. The 18 is a bit faster still. I don't have (and don't anticipate getting) the 60mm.

-Ray

8. Roel

Roel Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 4, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Excellent points, Ray.

I don't get all of the belly aching by some people - those who complain it is not a Leica, those who complain it doesn't focus as fast as pro level DSLR, etc. If you use it for its strengths (excellent IQ, sharp/small lenses, discreetness, nice styling, etc), then you will be happy with it.

It is a bit pricey at $US1700 for the body alone, but given how I will use it (as my main travel camera) or when I just want to be really stealth as I shoot, it is the perfect camera (for me, anyway).

I think Fuji has done a good job with this system and I always think that healthy competition (from all vendors) is a good thing.

My $0.02

9. bubbaj

bubbaj Mu-43 Rookie

May 24, 2011
    I like it and wish i could afford one. I don't need the fastest AF although it would be nice. I don't even need the sharpest IQ, I won't be printing the images most likely. But it would be nice to have, love the looks and Fuji puts out awesome products. My first camera was a point and shoot by Fuji Film.
    Maybe one day I will be able to afford one and by that time the X Pro 2 or 3 will be out!