1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Fujifilm X-M1 Preview

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Halaking, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
  2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    Looks good, but probably if I were to consider a Fuji X, this would not be at the top of my list.

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I like the brown! :smile:

4. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    I may have to re-consider my pre-order for the EP-5. I only have 2 X lenses for my Xpro1, 35mm f/1.4 and the 18-55mm f/2.8-4 but with the size of this new body, it may just be the perfect travel compliment to the x100s.... hmmm... decisions, decisions......

5. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    No eye level finder kills the deal for me. But I still want an X-Pro some time.

6. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    I was more interested to read about further improvements to the X-E1 (and X-Pro) AF speed, plus focus peaking. If it's getting close to the EM5 I'd be way more tempted to give one a shot. (I'm not a multiple camera kind of guy, so...)

7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    +1

8. Halaking

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    The new XC 16-50mm kit lens is made of plastic not like popular metal zoom XF 18-55mm, I think that's why only $100 more than the body only.

Fujifilm finally upgraded it's LCD display, it's 920k dot 3" 3:2, that might the LCD for the new XPRO2/XE2 in the future.

9. veereshai

veereshai Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Arlington, VA
    The good news along with this release is that we'll get a FW update on July 23rd which will enable focus peaking on Fuji X-Pro1/X-E1. Hope Olympus reads this thread and does the same for OM-D.

10. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Wouldn't that be great!! :D
    Don't think it'll happen tho. Fuji definitely makes great stuff happen through SW Updates. Olympus should take a page out of that book.

11. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    Looks nice but...

I have an E-P5 kit on order. I will keep the order as it is. The XM-1 does not have at least an option for an external viewfinder. In bright sun an external viewfinder is almost a must have for a serous photographer. It has no touch screen. I have come to love the capability of touch screens on both Olympus and Panasonic bodies. The lenses are bigger...noticeably bigger. There is no in body IS.

If the Xm-1 is truly being marketed against the E-PL5 (which I own), do I really want to pay an extra $200.00 US and give up the EVF option, the touch screen, and the much broader lens selection? Have you seen images from the Olympus 75mm f1.8? If you haven't you need to.

I still have serious reservations about focusing speed on Fujifilm X bodies. We will see if the release of the XM-1 is able to fix that.

The Fujifilm sensor has some advantages over the current Sony sensor in the Olympus models but, are the differences significant enough? From what I have seen the answer is absolutely not. The E-PL5 when used well is capable of a lot more than "competent" output.

Ever since the OMD was released I have come to believe that the Micro Four Thirds standard had truly arrived. It can now compete with larger sensors without apology.

The Fujifilm X line is a good one. If I were starting from scratch I would still chose Micro Four Thirds. If I was more affluent I might consider having an X body for an option but I'm not even sure about that. It would not be the XM-1 if I did decide to get an X body.

Dan

12. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Tempe, AZ
    Rick
    another +1 - just beautiful

13. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'm actually a little interested. I've been sitting on the fense of a an E-PL5 for a while. The image quality from what I can tell, at least jpeg, looks a little better with the fuji system. Their lenses are priced similarly too. I think it really dependson the price of the X-M1.

14. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Yet another +1 on the brown. I don't need or even want this camera, but the brown/chrome is just gorgeous.

15. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    I'm sensing a bit of a trend from a number of posters in that they are more intrigued with the "look" of the camera design than the "feature" set in comparison with other camera offerings.

Hmmm....

Now this comment is coming directly from a guy (me) who has the most extreme case of GAS with regard to camera bags that you may have ever encountered. I think I can rationalize my bag issues...As for you people and your camera "look" thing...well you just can't be excused for that kind of nonsense...;-)

From Dan...
    (in Portland getting ready to see a therapist about his bag "issues.")
    Sheesh!

16. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Browwwwwwn.
    Brown!
    Couldn't buy a brown G3 in Britain, got me a brown e-pM1 ... now for the Fuji!

Well Dalton
    There is NOTHING in the way of features : it happens to be an X-E1/X-Pro1 with ALL THE GOOD BITS REMOVED (bar the sensor, which is OK I guess, people tell me.)
    But ... Brown leatherette ... Brown!
    Mmmm Mmmm Mmmmmmm.

17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I liked how the E-P3 looked to when first released but I couldn't rationalize getting it over my E-PL2 with the same sensor.

Now I have an E-PL5 :smile:

18. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I think I want to see how the X-E1 does after the firmware update before jumping on board with the X-M1. The new Fuji looks great but I have to wonder if an updated X-E1 might be better - at least the next time it goes on sale.

Meanwhile, the Sony NEX 6 looks like tough competition for the X-M1: Roughly the same price, same sensor size and a built-in, high-resolution EVF.

Finally: What if the rumors about the next Panasonic GX having a built-in viewfinder turn out to be true? How would most of us feel about the Fuji then?

19. Halaking

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    The new XM1 retail at $699 body only, but the XE1 now $799, XE1 also get lenses promotion ($200-300 on each lens), great savings if you buy the whole system.

Fujifilm 60mm f/2.4 XF Macro Lens $650-300=350
    Fujifilm 18mm f/2.0 XF R Lens $599-300=299
    Fujifilm 35mm f/1.4 XF R Lens $599-200=299
    Fujifilm XF 14mm f/2.8 R Ultra Wide-Angle Lens $899-200=699

20. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I'm one of those who like the brown but I have worked hard to pull myself back from 3.5 systems to 2 - I have absolutely no intention at all of buying into another. :smile: