1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Fujifilm X lenses.

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by headsup, Sep 17, 2012.

1. headsup

headsup New to Mu-43

Jul 7, 2010
    Of the X lenses which have been released so far, can anyone remark as to which if any are outstanding performers? Many thanks.

2. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    I can only comment on the 35mm f1.4. In my view the sharpness and contract are just as good as the Panny 25 1.4, but it is smaller and has the advantage of a real aperture ring (a very important feature to me). Also, it appears the new firmware will make manual focusing on this lens much faster, I.e. less turns to get subject in focus.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I have the 18 and 35. The 35 is just steller, albeit in a focal length I just don't "see" worth a damn with. The 18 is a bit less steller, but its on my camera about 95% of the time. At least. Its very good but the pixel peepers have found some flaws with corner sharpness I think - nothing I'd ever see. The AF on the 18 is quite snappy. Notably slower on the 35, but still acceptable for most uses. The 60 seems to be wonderful optically but since its designed as a macro, in addition to its ability as a portrait lens, its AF is VERY slow. But all three of them are very very good.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Good to know, Ray - thanks for sharing your experience.

I dabbled with the X100 and really enjoyed some things about it a lot, so I have kept one eye on the Fuji camp ever since. The X100's fixed 35mm equivalent focal length didn't work great for me unfortunately (50mm equivalent is more natural to me), and the optical viewfinder didn't really trip my trigger. With that being the case, the X-E1 looks just about right for me so I'm looking hard at the Fuji lens lineup and projected roadmap.

5. parka

parka Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    I've the 18, 35 and 60.

I use 18mm most of the time. The quality of all three are great, at least for my purposes.
    I love the aperture ring, and that was actually the main reasons why I bought into the system.
    It's weird but with that ring and the dials, it really feels like using an old school camera, even though it's digital.

If you go to Flickr groups and see, you'll find what they are capable of.

Micro Four Thirds have a stellar set of lens as well. The difference will come down to the sensor.

• Like Like x 1
  6. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    I too have been carefully watching the X series grow.

Here are some links to the improved AF algorithm on the X-Pro 1, with the 35/1.4 running the newer FWs:

[ame=http://vimeo.com/49437056]fujifilm Xpro1 firmware1.1 af on Vimeo[/ame]

[ame=http://vimeo.com/49437068]fujifilm Xpro1 firmware2.0 af on Vimeo[/ame]

• Like Like x 1