Fujifilm - Olympus partnership

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by RnR, Jan 31, 2012.

1. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Samsung, Sony, and now Fujifilm...

Fujifilm joins race for Olympus capital, business tie-up - The Mainichi Daily News

Olympus camera owner?
    [​IMG]

2. taran

taran Mu-43 Regular

Oct 19, 2011
    Alfred E. Neuman should start a photography blog, I would read it.

The synergy of Fuji/Olympus can't happen:

1) Too many lens mounts/sensor sizes that are just similar enough to offer no diversity.
    2) Olympus cannot launch into making anything other than m43 stuff because of the 43 debacle. No one trusts them now, so they cannot support APS-C sized sensors, or FF sensors, it would mean everyone would abandon m43 gear for fear of the platform dying.

3. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Seems that some folks think Olympus is worth saving, even if it means combining forces, to gain strength in the market share.

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    It is interesting that all of the articles I have seen, talk only about the medical device business. I don't think Fuji and Sony have as much interest in the camera business.

5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    All of these companies interested in investing in Olympus are looking to make money not cameras. Groups of Japanese companies trade in their technologies separate from the financial interests. They're competitors but they're also community. They would rather buy parts from or invest in a Japanese competitor than a foreign company.

Some one who spent time in Japan once explained loyalty in the culture. Loyalty is first to family, then community, district and nation. The company one works for become an individuals family or at least community. These other companies don't want to see a member of their community fail. They may also get some financial gain and they're not going to let a little competition get in the way of that.

Fred

6. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    We tend not see it from our perspective as photographers, but Olympus is a medical instruments and laboratory optics company that also makes cameras.

Fred

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, and the reports I've heard only state that Fuji is interested in a partnership in medical equipment, a field in which Fuji is starting to take a keen interest in. Olympus holds about 70% of the endoscope market, and Fuji holds 12% (which incidentally could set off monopoly alarm bells should they join).

If that partnership spills into cameras, it'll only be by chance.

8. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    As an Olympus camera owner, all of these partnerships are meaningless. Not one of those companies cares about Olympus' camera division, and it won't affect any products or designs used by any mu-43 member (unless you're a gastroenterologist or neurosurgeon). They're just taking advantage of Olympus' misbehavior to get in on some of that sweet medical imaging market. Don't expect to see any Sony or Fuji m4/3 equipment.

9. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    This is good news--the other companies see value in Olympus. Buy a camera companies or making a partnership with one generally strengthens the company, especially a weak or small one. Sony saved Minolta, Hoya and then Ricoh saved Pentax, Phase is saving Mamiya. No one saw value in Contax/Kyocera and it is gone.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    ...Stay tuned for next week's episode! :biggrin:

11. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    And I'm sure that's a beautiful story for the commoners and the PR side of things, but I don't buy it. These are international companies like any other, with shareholders who are interested in one thing: money. And Olympus' medical imaging makes a lot of it.

12. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    You've quoted only part of what I've said. Perhaps I was unclear. My main point is that these other companies are interested in making money. The fact that they compete in some areas won't stop them from investing or collaborating in other companies. Finally, the Japanese culture suggests to me that they're more willing to work with a Japanese company than a foreign one. In that I suppose they're not unique. We in the US can be insular in that way.

Fred