Showcase Fujica Macro cine copy m42

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by eteless, Jul 2, 2016.

1. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    A very amusing lens which was designed to copy 8 or 16mm film to 135 format (aka full frame), to achieve this it's a very short focal length with a large amount of extension available. Due to the short focal length (I would guess around 15mm) it's pretty easy to get a tilted plane of focus, combined with a fixed aperture (I would guess f/5.6) meaning you have a thin slice of nothing in focus...
    It's also uncoated and flares if there's any hint of contrast (just to make focusing fun!).

These were taken at about 3:1, anything higher than that has too little in focus (unless it's flat, it probably works better for film). The bevel/edge is around 1mm tall for a sense of scale.
    CYG11 scalpel, new and probably still sterile.

CYG11 scalpel, used and showing some wear after cutting a lot of fabric (I don't think fabric wears them at all), ABS plastic (lots of shaving/cutting edges/flashing/sprue), aluminum (much the same as the ABS), and likely being used as a prying tool (what can I say? it's my precision prybar).
    It's still got plenty of life left in it, I opened a new one purely to take the first picture.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

Still impressive performance for such an old lens. How's the longitudinal CA? If not too big, focus stacking can give you relief for the large aperture.
  3. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    It has very little Longitudinal CA at all (I would say it had none but as you pass 20:1 you can start to notice a small amount), I would suggest that a modern microscope optic would give much higher resolution than it and be a much better choice for stacking.

The main reason I bought it was the price ($15) and that it was m42 so I could put it on my bellows (from a Pentax spotmatic) for completely pointless enlargement factors to generate giggles (I'm one of those people who laughs at their own jokes, even when I'm alone, constantly...).

For example, this was taken at about 30:1, the full stop is roughly 0.1mm wide.
    As you can see the lens is really falling apart at this sort of factor (assuming it's even in focus) however I got a giggle out of it :)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

I get a giggle from the idea that 30 times magnification is expected not to break down:). You need approximately an f/0.2 lens (NA~0.9) that is diffraction limited to generate an image with enough resolution to fully use the mft sensor. Then you're in high end Zeiss, Leica, or Corning microscope objective territory (~10k price region). But it's fun to just try it...
  5. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I'm well aware (effective aperture due to extension etc), I just find it hilarious when it's an uncoated lens which cost $15 to start with :p

What's the point having gear if you can't push it to it's limits, go well past them and laugh hysterically at the results? It's the spice of life.