Fuji!

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
Not necessarily better, but at least as good.

If Fuji can make a "system" out of it like they did their later medium formats (maybe a couple of wides, a normal, and a short tele) it would be interesting.

Pelao

Mu-43 Top Veteran
John,
It would be foolish for Panny & Oly to think the Fuji is a passing whim.
Fuji will no doubt in a hurry introduce more cameras along this line.
At that point if Panny and Oly have not given users what they want...
then they will no doubt have a serious problem on their hands.
Fuji is a Major Player with a very good rep.

Surely they could have made this camera in m4/3 format. They chose not to because I think they are setting a path for their/our future.
If they introduce a line of lenses and an interchangeable body, how many would stay in the m4/3 format. The x100 sensor is larger and keeps the MP at about m4/3 size. This alone assures good IQ. There is no doubt the engineers at Fuji have done their homework.

It's exciting to say the least. I really hope things improve in our camp as I adore my GF1.
I am not one to rattle my own cage. It took me 15 months to switch from the Pens to the Panny's.
Streetshooter

Love having you around. I agree with what you say, but you are much more eloquent. Saves me a lot of typing too. Thanks.
:biggrin:

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
John,
It would be foolish for Panny & Oly to think the Fuji is a passing whim.
Fuji will no doubt in a hurry introduce more cameras along this line.
At that point if Panny and Oly have not given users what they want...
then they will no doubt have a serious problem on their hands.
Fuji is a Major Player with a very good rep.

Surely they could have made this camera in m4/3 format. They chose not to because I think they are setting a path for their/our future.
If they introduce a line of lenses and an interchangeable body, how many would stay in the m4/3 format. The x100 sensor is larger and keeps the MP at about m4/3 size. This alone assures good IQ. There is no doubt the engineers at Fuji have done their homework.

It's exciting to say the least. I really hope things improve in our camp as I adore my GF1.
I am not one to rattle my own cage. It took me 15 months to switch from the Pens to the Panny's.
Don, I don't doubt that the Fuji will have an impact. How much depends on eventual street price and how fast (if at all) they develop an interchangeable lens version. Even then the price, if it is high enough, will be enough to define the market as being completely seperate to :43:. Mind you, at the very least Olympus and Panasonic may be forced to lower their prices to maintain a market differential and they will ignore this newcomer at their peril.

If nothing else it creates uncertainty and Olympus in particular will need to either up their game (which, to be fair, they might already be doing in the form of the hinted 'professional' standard Pen) or accept that they are serving a cheaper market sector with lower prices and smaller profit margins.

Fuji can afford to maintain high prices and remain a little exclusive because, as you say, they have an excellent reputation for quality. It works for Leica and I'm sure it would work for Fuji, if that is the way they chose to go. The X100 certainly strikes me as being a premium product that will maintain its price and, despite my aspirations, I may never get to own one. It will be very exciting to see how their strategy unfolds.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
I only hope our m4/3 makers are watching the wave. If so, we should see interesting things in the not to distant future. If they are not watching the wave, they will see the wave of goodby by many.
This camera should bear the Oly brand on it. I don't understand the decision making process at Oly's top end. It seems that they don't either.

igi

Mu-43 Regular
I only hope our m4/3 makers are watching the wave. If so, we should see interesting things in the not to distant future. If they are not watching the wave, they will see the wave of goodby by many.
This camera should bear the Oly brand on it. I don't understand the decision making process at Oly's top end. It seems that they don't either.
They should watch out for this! Clearly, Fuji went for the overkill in this camera... just imagine... shutter speed dial, aperture ring, 35mm F2... and that hybrid viewfinder...

It's camera design overkill I tell you!:2thumbs:

...though I do have worries now since the price, which is earlier estimated to about $1.5k, is now $1k. Fuji might have listened to the demand, but I do wish they won't be scrimp on the quality and features and release a half baked product.

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
Sure, m43 may cease to exist or become a lower priced alternative. But, in a sense, its ALREADY a lower priced alternative to a lot of DSLRs. This spring Fuji will come out with a fixed lens rangefinder that will be great but many/most of us won't buy one due to the lack of versatility relative to our m43 gear. Another fall or spring later, MAYBE they'll come out with an interchangeable lens system that blows the doors off of m43 in a similar price range. Another year or two after that, there may be enough lenses available for this new format to make upgrading a compelling idea. AND..... by then, maybe there will be some better NEX lenses around too and additional NEX bodies that more people seem comfortable with. By then, maybe Canon and/or Nikon will have gotten into this game. Maybe in a few years there will be a compelling reason to scrap m43 if you have the money to upgrade.

In the meantime, most of us will have all taken another few years worth of (hopefully) great images with m43 cameras and lenses and it will have been good to have them around and they will be at least as good as they are today with some improvements coming in hardware and hopefully in firmware. And by the time new and better alternatives appear and reach an adequate level of maturity, maybe some of us will upgrade.

And maybe some of us will figure that our m43 gear is still capable of taking waaaaaaay better images than we're capable of getting them to take and that will be good enough.

Time will tell. But it just seems too soon to get overwhelmingly excited about the future possibilities of what is currently a slightly developed concept. We're living in golden age of innovation - this Fuji may mean something or it may be surpassed 10 times before it ever comes to market in a meaningful configuration. If m43 dies, its only because something better enough came along at the right price and it will go by the wayside like medium format and film slrs and, probably, DSLRs will someday too. From where I sit, there's no tragedy in any of this.

-Ray

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Ray I agree whole heartily. Funny thing. I remember a few years ago I was working with my Eppy RD1s, a great street camera of 6 MP. Anyway, I got a call from my dealer, camera dealer...there's a new system being developed and the dealer wanted me to test it out. I said no because I detest SLR type cameras.
About 6 months later the G1 was flooding the market.
A few months later, the dealer asked me to try a beta version of a camera more suited to my style. The Pen 1 was borne. After a few months, I sold the Eppy and dived into m4/3.

History repeats itself. The Fuji is the new kid on the block.
I hope to get a beta version. If not, I'll just buy it.

Funny thing is...I never thought m4/3 would take off as it did...
Hmmmm, now I'm even the Admin!

goldenlight

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
John
Sure, m43 may cease to exist or become a lower priced alternative. But, in a sense, its ALREADY a lower priced alternative to a lot of DSLRs. This spring Fuji will come out with a fixed lens rangefinder that will be great but many/most of us won't buy one due to the lack of versatility relative to our m43 gear. Another fall or spring later, MAYBE they'll come out with an interchangeable lens system that blows the doors off of m43 in a similar price range. Another year or two after that, there may be enough lenses available for this new format to make upgrading a compelling idea. AND..... by then, maybe there will be some better NEX lenses around too and additional NEX bodies that more people seem comfortable with. By then, maybe Canon and/or Nikon will have gotten into this game. Maybe in a few years there will be a compelling reason to scrap m43 if you have the money to upgrade.

In the meantime, most of us will have all taken another few years worth of (hopefully) great images with m43 cameras and lenses and it will have been good to have them around and they will be at least as good as they are today with some improvements coming in hardware and hopefully in firmware. And by the time new and better alternatives appear and reach an adequate level of maturity, maybe some of us will upgrade.

And maybe some of us will figure that our m43 gear is still capable of taking waaaaaaay better images than we're capable of getting them to take and that will be good enough.

Time will tell. But it just seems too soon to get overwhelmingly excited about the future possibilities of what is currently a slightly developed concept. We're living in golden age of innovation - this Fuji may mean something or it may be surpassed 10 times before it ever comes to market in a meaningful configuration. If m43 dies, its only because something better enough came along at the right price and it will go by the wayside like medium format and film slrs and, probably, DSLRs will someday too. From where I sit, there's no tragedy in any of this.

-Ray
I certainly don't think everone will change to the X100, Ray, but for those to whom it specifically appeals it is great to now (or hopefully very soon) have the choice. Wider choice of a broader range of cameras from more manufacturers can only be a good thing for us, the consumers. I'll probably stay on the :43: bus with you, but I'll still give a cheery wave to Don as he goes past on a different bus!

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
All this may change when Olympus brings out their 'pro' m4/3s (which they would have been working on from the outset and is supposed to come out next year) and suddenly the interest shift goes the other way. :smile:

Cheers

Ray

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
John, I'm not allowed to go on another bus. Amin keeps me tied to mu43. So I'll ride the m4/3 bus with you guys and maybe we can pass the X 100 around.
I don't ever see selling my GF1.
I might move the G2 at some point but the GF1 is as close as I've ever had to a non intrusive partner, da wife included.

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Ray,
I see many different features between the X100 and the new ProPen.
I like the idea of the ProPen but it looks like it competes against the likes of the LX5 not the X100. I may be off base but that's how I see it.
What say you kind sir?

Jerry_R

Mu-43 Regular
ProPen but it looks like it competes against the likes of the LX5 not the X100
I always thought that Oly pro body will compete with G1 body size, not LX5.
Especially that Olympus will no more continue E-620 line, but directs E-xxx 43 users to u43 area.

photoSmart42

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I always thought that Oly pro body will compete with G1 body size, not LX5.
Especially that Olympus will no more continue E-620 line, but directs E-xxx 43 users to u43 area.
Depends on the form factor of a ProPEN, but I can't imagine it wouldn't be a large body like the G-series. If that's true, it'll definitely compete against the G-series. It's possible we could perhaps see a compact ProPEN as well, but I'm not counting on that from Olympus.

Pelao

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The last few post get to the crux of the matter.
Panny and Oly are not paying attention to the users.
Fuji has been reading forums and have moved forward to give users what the want/need.
I fear for the m4/3 format at this point.
It is not supported as it deserves to be.
Once a user goes to the Fuji, there will be no turning back.
Panny and Oly have missed the call that Fuji has risen to.
Darn shame.....
I feel that this sense f Fuji having listened is playing a big part in the joy being expressed in some quarters. On paper this camera gets so much right. It's the stark opposite of the feeling you get when there is a smallish but persistent irritant with your camera, even one you like a lot. These irritants often just don't appear to make sense, and I at least get the feeling that the last little step to please the user was set aside for other reasons.

This camera appears to put the photographer at the front of the process.

I remember in the DPreview coverage of the GF1 the writer expressed how much fun the camera is with the 20mm lens - a real joy to use. I think the Fuji stands a good chance of getting the same reaction, only more.

I'll admit it is causing me to review my longer term plans. The Gf1 is one of the best cameras I have had in a long time. My current most loved is my 5D, because of an image quality I really enjoy. But the Panny is my go-to.

I had been thinking of what I might do over the next few years as my 5D ages. I am open to different brands and approaches. But this new camera has given me pause. If it's autofocus speed and image quality are good, I will get one and keep the 5D longer. As for my GF1 I just don't know.

Fiddler

Mu-43 Veteran
I will definitely buy the Fuji immediately upon it becoming available. Not because it is 'better' but because it is well conceived, and because it speaks to me.I grew up with rangefinders and prime lenses, and I smell my roots... Oh the joy of simplicity... No prob with m43 - a good camera today is a good camera tomorrow...

Jonkobeck

Mu-43 Regular
In the meantime, most of us will have all taken another few years worth of (hopefully) great images with m43 cameras and lenses

-Ray
Only if we stop buying new cameras every six months and focus on photography :)

Don't get me wrong people! I think this new Fuji is a very cool looking little camera. It's feature rich and how can anyone not like that retro look. In fact I may eventually pick one up sometime next year.

Why? Well to my eyes, this would make an awesome street camera to carry around. But I'm not selling all my current gear.

He'll what do I know, I still have my old Nikon FM2 and use it every now and then.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Ray,
I see many different features between the X100 and the new ProPen.
I like the idea of the ProPen but it looks like it competes against the likes of the LX5 not the X100. I may be off base but that's how I see it.
What say you kind sir?
I'm thinking of an EP-2 with a built-in viewfinder, possibly weatherproof, better features etc, it's certainly not going to be an LX5 competitor.

Cheers

Ray

photoSmart42

Mu-43 Top Veteran
As a point of reference, this is one of the longest threads on the forum now. I'd say that's a good indication of the interest this camera has generated.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom